• 34 %
  • gigabyte p67-ud7
  • 39 %
  • evga p67 sli classified
  • 15 %
  • other-please state in thread
  • 15 %
January 12, 2011 12:46:15 AM

I'm just curious as to which is a better option, I will not be purchasing but am curious

More about : premium p67 mobo

a c 236 V Motherboard
January 12, 2011 12:58:26 AM

My vote goes for the ASUS P8P67 Pro for the best price to features/performance. Once released, I will be most interested in the EVGA P67sli CLASSIFIED for a P67 build. :) 
January 12, 2011 1:03:08 AM

yes for price/performance I would also go for the Asus p8p67 pro but this is for if you need 3-way crossfire or sli what is the best mobo?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 12, 2011 1:11:32 AM

Yup, the PRO is it.
January 12, 2011 1:13:41 AM

Please the Pro is not a premium mobo it doesn't support tri-fire trisli if it is an other it must support that
a b V Motherboard
January 12, 2011 1:46:29 AM

Actually, if you do some research you'll see that the bandwidth with the new ASUS mobo's are double what they were previously...from 2.5 to 5! So, I don't think you'll have a bottleneck with that. But if you want a Maximus, then wait for one. As for your comment about the PRO, you are right, it is at the mid point in the ASUS line. Which is likely plenty for 90% of the folks out there but obviously, not for you.
January 12, 2011 1:53:18 AM

please dude stop the pointless trooling (spelling intentional) I'm not going to buy a maximus iv I'm just asking what the best premium mobo is for p67 please read my post. If I was going to build SB I would go for the pro buy I want to know the top-end option.

btw I'm waiting for PCI-E 3.0 to upgrade
a b V Motherboard
January 12, 2011 2:42:30 AM

joelmartinez said:
please dude stop the pointless trooling (spelling intentional) I'm not going to buy a maximus iv I'm just asking what the best premium mobo is for p67 please read my post. If I was going to build SB I would go for the pro buy I want to know the top-end option.

btw I'm waiting for PCI-E 3.0 to upgrade

Not a trool "dude". But since you are waiting for PCI 3.0, you obviously are going to waiting and dreaming for a long time yet. Have fun waiting while we enjoy the best CPU series and Mobo's to come along in many a year.
January 12, 2011 2:47:22 AM

My i5 750 will hold me over for a year or two.
January 13, 2011 11:28:03 AM

The BEST price performance ratio is BY FAR the ASUS p67 Sabertooth, with military grade capacitors and CMOS and a special thermal design, it comes out in 1 week at only $30 more than the Pro.

Also it has other stuff better than the Pro.
January 13, 2011 9:05:58 PM

what is wrong with you newcomers I'm asking the best PREMIUM mobo not best price/performance I already know that the pro and the sabertooth are the best values but I'm not asking that so just say the best premium mobo please!!!!!
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 13, 2011 9:42:57 PM

Interesting, I know the 2 so far that voted to EVGA...me +1 of them. The GA's aren't using UEFI BIOS. The ASUS Maximus IV and quite possibly ANY nVidia co-chipset P67 suffers from latency issues to some point to outright BSOD level bugs as on right now.

After building a lot of rigs, EVGA always seems to be the best choice for the Gamers.

I like SB but don't love the P67, didn't like the P55 either, and if I'm waiting for anything it would be the EVGA X68 Classified 4-WAY.

The P67 is fine for ONE Monitor with the vanilla 1920 x 1080 monitors {or smaller}, but if adding a large single {2560 x 1600} or 3/triple monitor setup then there's no way I'd get it.

My 2 cents...
January 13, 2011 9:56:58 PM

Nice to know, I will also upgrade at x68 too a much nicer setup
January 14, 2011 2:00:10 AM

Yes, sorry. And the EVGA Classified is always the best board.

There is a $320 one from Gigabyte that won the Tweak Town Overclockers award. The good part is that it's out right now.

GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD7 LGA 1155 Intel P67
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Industry's Leading TRUE 24 Phase Power Design , and

Dual CPU Power Supply Technology, it has 1/2 the Phases on one string and 1/2 the Phases on the other, so that it is switching off between 2 CPU power supply strings, and neither ever heat up or wear or supply unstable voltge.

It has other stuff too, but I am taking this Rig down and installing my new Gigabyte I just got home with, into this case, so I dont have time to share everything I learned today.

I got the i7 2600k. I've seen it at 5.1 Stable, and the guy at the store's friend had it at 4.8 Stable.

I got 2GB x 4 of Patriot Sector 5 1600 CL9. It was the perfect choice for me personally, and this rig is going to be one of the fastest out, for gaming. I found a demanding-computer-game-only benchmark with these new Sandy Bridges vs i7 970 vs i7 980X vs i7 980X @ 4.2Ghz and a i7 860 thrown in.

The Sandy Bridges didnt fall below the 980X @ 4.2 by more than a few frames, except for once, and beat it sometimes.

At 16X AF and 8X AA @ 1920 resolution, where the GTX 580 maxed out on certain games,

The un-overclocked Sandy Bridges still NEVER fell more than 3 frames below the 980X @ 4.2Ghz in any of the 6 games, except in ONE case...

Far Cry 2 VERY HIGH and 8xAA- the GTX 580 was over stressed finally after the 980X overclocked never getting even 4 frames over the stock 2600k after 20 tests, where the 2600k stock beat the 980X @ 4.2Ghz in the Far Cry 2 tests without AA by ALOT.

The true average frames on the stock clock 2600k was still only 1 frame per second below the 980X @ 4.2Ghz, 112 vs 111,

But the minimum frames there were 57 vs the 480X @ 4.2Ghz had 66, when using 1920 x 1200.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3755/p67_sandy_bridge...

These results were not surprising, that the Sandy Bridges stock beat the 980X overclocked by alot on some games, and never fell more than a few frames below it in the other ones, literally never less than 3 frames over 20 tests of the 6 most demanding games out.

The stock clock Sandy Bridges were FAR above the $600 i7 chips on raw CPU benchmarks, and should also overclock alot more,
and they match the 980X even where the raw CPU benchmark includes all 6 cores, and they even match the unreleased 995X hex core.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-2...

These tests were all on the ASRock Exterme 6 Mobo, an upper Mid Grade board.

The Toms tests never showed the mobo to make a HUGE difference in the rundown of the best ones under $200, but we all know the advantages of better boards in general.

I cant wait to get my 2600k running, just spent 45 minutes typing this when I could have been putting that mobo in :) 

God bless!
a b V Motherboard
January 14, 2011 2:37:03 AM

Great post! You obviously found the same reviews that I did. Thanks for taking the time posting that.
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 14, 2011 2:41:53 AM

TweakTown 'is Gigabyte' so I hope they'll be pro GA. Tom's is 'today's sponsor' so you got to find overlapping results.

On a single monitor -> SB!!!, but 2560 x 1600 i7 9xx squeaks by, and 5760 x 1080 like I and many others run sadly the SB P67 {x8/x8} platform is spanked by X58 {x16/x16}.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i... scroll down.

BTW - I would never buy the Intel's DP67BG but it's puny 4+2 phase hit 5 GHz, I appreciate phase power especially when it's split-up but 24 Phases is just to brag 24 phases and even under nitrogen won't do you any good. 16+2 phase is enough power to melt your CPU and then some.
January 16, 2011 11:02:31 AM

jaquith said:
TweakTown 'is Gigabyte' so I hope they'll be pro GA. Tom's is 'today's sponsor' so you got to find overlapping results.

I'm looking for unbiased reviews too. I think people need to wait for 2-3 weeks so that more sites could come up with impressive reviews. BTW, what did you mean by Tom is 'today's sponsor' :??: 

What I wonder a bit is about a sudden spurt in some reviewers inclining towards Asus than Gigabyte for P67 MOBOs. Example, Pro vs. UD4. What could be the reasons behind it? Features such as UEFI etc? Please share some insight because am planning to build a Workstation class 6-LCD computer by this month end. Thank you.
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 12:04:42 PM

If Tom's receiving revenues from company X then company X is the best thing since sliced bread. Some test or feature will place it on top. MOBO's are so close in performance that you can justify it being the 'best'. I recall the GA-X58A-UD3R vs ASUS P6X58D-E review, and the P6X58D-E won every test but an added eSATA on the GA-X58A-UD3R won the review. Problem was there was a known H/W design flaw with the UD3R with SSDs. Also - I NEVER see Tom's review EVGA MOBOs kinda odd don't you think!?

Most of the top posters here will recommend gaming MOBOs in the following order: EVGA, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte. However, for Workstations I recommend SuperMicro with Xeon. GA MOBO have the highest failure rate {bad MOBO} in this forum.
January 16, 2011 1:53:37 PM

jaquith said:
If Tom's receiving revenues from company X then company X is the best thing since sliced bread. Some test or feature will place it on top. MOBO's are so close in performance that you can justify it being the 'best'. I recall the GA-X58A-UD3R vs ASUS P6X58D-E review, and the P6X58D-E won every test but an added eSATA on the GA-X58A-UD3R won the review. Problem was there was a known H/W design flaw with the UD3R with SSDs. Also - I NEVER see Tom's review EVGA MOBOs kinda odd don't you think!?

Most of the top posters here will recommend gaming MOBOs in the following order: EVGA, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte. However, for Workstations I recommend SuperMicro with Xeon. GA MOBO have the highest failure rate {bad MOBO} in this forum.

This is very interesting! Does it mean that (at least a few) 2009 recommendations of Tom were flawed? Say, GA-55A-UD4P, Crucial 4GB DDR3 etc? Anyway, in the early last year, I've built 23-Workstation class PCs for my Business and Personal requirements. I've only used Gigabyte (mostly UD4P, couple of UD6 and a single UD7). Here's is one what I use sometimes at my home:

Intel Core i7-870 (3.2 to 4.0 GHz) & Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD7
Thermalright MUX-120, Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1600 CAS8
Sapphire 5850 Toxic 2GB card, Western Digital 2TB Black
Viewsonic VX2739WM LCDs in Eyefinity, Antec 1200 Tower
Corsair 650HX PSU, Creative 7.1, Sony SATA optical drive
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1900, Microsoft Wireless Keyboard combo
Logitech Webcam with Parallels 4.0 sitting on the top! (for Tux and Win7 Pro)

It was quite a good upgrade project to me (to dispose off many 875 based PCs at my company). Point is, till date those Gigabytes are running rock solid taking tons of processing loads (mostly in Visualization) on the fly! They are the best in performance when I used to compare them last year with other workstations such as from Dell (non Xeon but they used to be at least twice the cost!). Anyway, I use couple of Xeon processor based IBM Linux Servers and a Xeon based Linux Cluster for Business computing requirements.

But, honestly, I started wondering about the 'shift' towards Asus in P67 case. Maybe, it's really something to do with certain features on Asus MOBO and plus a few things like lack of RAM color codes, Switches etc on the Gigabyte MOBO. If we ignore them, like BIOS/color/etc, any idea who gonna take the honors in P67?

My idea is to go for as usual with Gigabyte MOBOs or I wanna go for an ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution because I didn't find much 'oomph' factor between Asus Deluxe vs Pro (many reviews voted for latter). What do you reckon? Because once again this is going to be a decent investment - about $4000 for the Hardware (with 6 LCDs).

I've these in my mind:

Gigabyte P67A-UD5 or UD4
Asus P8P67 Deluxe or Pro
GA P67A-UD7 or Asus WS Revolution are my last shot because they are more meant for gaming with CFX, SLI, blah blah :p 

@To thread creator: I didn't mean to hijack your thread. My apologies.
January 16, 2011 2:25:39 PM

I think the best out right now might be that GA UD7, or the ASUS Maximus. MSI is always great though. I would wait for EVGA.

To thread creator: you meantioned an X68 ?

Is that scheduled to come out, a chipset supporting Sandy Bridge ?
January 16, 2011 2:45:57 PM

robtmathias said:
I think the best out right now might be that GA UD7, or the ASUS Maximus. MSI is always great though. I would wait for EVGA.

GA UD7 and Maximus are very high end gaming/OC multi-GPU supported boards, which isn't my requirement.

X68 chip would be a part of the updated present Bloomfield line (920, 930, 950 etc) planned in Q3, 2011 or so. It comes with new features such as LGA 2011 socket, 32 PCI Express lanes?? and also heard it as quad channel DDR3 RAM?? etc! Yep, they would be based on Sandy Bridge.
January 16, 2011 2:51:42 PM

robtmathias said:

I would say that the Gigabyte is better, because of the features that it got.
The Asus one is also great, but still not as good as the Gigabyte.

1. Gigabyte :love: 
2. asus
3. Evga

and to the MSI thing.. MSI is not the best motherboard in a top 5 it would be 5.

its not good at Gaming or overclocking. so would not go for an MSI :non:  .

For a start with SB i would take the P8P67 - pro (i got the deluxe - only because it was the same price as the pro when i got it)

i would get a "cheap" motherboard now, because in ~ 4 months there will come some Epic motherboards, and then you would hope that you just got a cheap motoboard.

its not about the money.. just saying its a waste!

but well.... thats just me :p  :) 
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 4:09:32 PM

akula2 said:
This is very interesting! Does it mean that (at least a few) 2009 recommendations of Tom were flawed? Say, GA-55A-UD4P, Crucial 4GB DDR3 etc? Anyway, in the early last year, I've built 23-Workstation class PCs for my Business and Personal requirements. I've only used Gigabyte (mostly UD4P, couple of UD6 and a single UD7).

I didn't feel like quoting your entire post, but I've read it. I don't want to disagree with 'your version' of a Workstation, but 'mine' is a rig that supports ECC RAM in other words CPUs like Xeon or Opteron; wiki's version http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workstation seems to agree. P55's are like my i7/X58's and are pseudo Workstations; in my case used as terminals & trial SQL testing, and my graphics artist uses 2 Xeon rigs one of them a Mac Pro. The P67/P55 are consumer grade. I skip the consumer setups, but that's my choice. BTW - I own a 'small' Enterprise REO/IDX data processing firm employing only Dell, e.g. R9XX multi-CPU Xeon, rack servers - the budget more than most homes, and hobby build only extreme gaming rigs similar to D. Truby {trubyd44} 3/4-WAY Koolance rigs. See my configurations link.

ASUS WS MOBO's are problematic and not anything that I would recommend, and I like ASUS.

Color schemes, GA seems to be copying EVGA's black PCB themes. I don't judge a MOBO 'too much' by its color scheme unless it's hideous like Biostar, but to each their own. Arrangements with 3+ monitors to me is distracting unless its an operational center or trading or you're ADHD and need the 'stimulation.' Gaming I like (3) triple 3D-HD monitors, Business I prefer 2, my employees 1-3.

Here's a Draft of what I deem a common sense approach. A few P67's employ the added nVidia, but is currently buggy {BSOD}. {fixed typo}
January 16, 2011 7:05:29 PM

jaquith said:
I didn't feel like quoting your entire post, but I've read it. I don't want to disagree with 'your version' of a Workstation, but 'mine' is a rig that supports ECC RAM in other words CPUs like Xeon or Opteron; wiki's version http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workstation seems to agree. P55's are like my i7/X58's and are pseudo Workstations; in my case used as terminals & trial SQL testing, and my graphics artist uses 2 Xeon rigs one of them a Mac Pro. The P67/P55 are consumer grade. I skip the consumer setups, but that's my choice. BTW - I own a 'small' Enterprise REO/IDX data processing firm employing only Dell, e.g. R9XX multi-CPU Xeon, rack servers - the budget more than most homes, and hobby build only extreme gaming rigs similar to D. Truby {trubyd44} 3/4-WAY Koolance rigs. See my configurations link.

I know what you were talking about but I'd said that they are Workstation class PCs. Frankly, it doesn't really matter much what the Wiki's *classic* definition says because performance is the utmost criteria w.r.t my investment. Even though I specialize in Electronics/Computer Engineering, I run a Pharmaceutical and Biotech company with ~1200 workforce. My Research/Chemist staff are very much happy with those high end P55s delivering damn good results by performing intense tasks such as Modeling, Simulation, Virtualization etc. Those machines have outperformed many overly-priced Workstations but I love my latest Apple Mac Pros (3) compared to Dell because of their superior build quality and performance. Anyway, last year I really enjoyed building them. Some more to build this year for sure...

jaquith said:
ASUS WS MOBO's are problematic and not anything that I would recommend, and I like ASUS.

I don't judge a MOBO 'too much' by its color scheme unless it's hideous like Biostar, but to each their own. Arrangements with 3+ monitors to me is distracting unless its an operational center or trading or you're ADHD and need the 'stimulation.' Gaming I like (3) triple 3D-HD monitors, Business I prefer 2, my employees 1-3.

I don't really care about color too but sometimes we can't ignore the visual appeal (Tower cases are getting more transparent!) :)  Well, Eyefinity feature is not only about playing Games. We need to look at lot of data/models/shapes in real time on the screens so with multiple displays that problem is solved. In that way I've saved quite a good $, thanks to the ATI's amazing feature. Anyway, even I have my apprehensions about narrowing on Asus WS MOBO.

jaquith said:
Here's a Draft of what I deem a common sense approach. A few P67's employ the added nVidia, but is currently buggy {BSOD}.
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/Build_Chart_Q1-2011.jpg

BSOD is a good pointer, really hate that :ouch:  I need to have a look at them more in detail once again this weekend. Thanks for the inputs. Any other problem such as infamous 1156 Foxconn socket issues etc, LOL?
a c 717 V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 7:33:05 PM

Oddly, I have my B.S. in Chemistry, Mom wanted an M.D., and every lab that I've ever been in including Battelle and Abbott all use Xeon WS with Pro GPUs {Tesla} for molecular model rendering. Maybe you don't?? In my case, the labs I mentioned or my Institutional clients, require mission critical data computations; e.g. error free.
January 17, 2011 1:21:38 AM

jaquith said:
Oddly, I have my B.S. in Chemistry, Mom wanted an M.D., and every lab that I've ever been in including Battelle and Abbott all use Xeon WS with Pro GPUs {Tesla} for molecular model rendering. Maybe you don't?? In my case, the labs I mentioned or my Institutional clients, require mission critical data computations; e.g. error free.

I think I've mentioned somewhere about a Linux Cluster, which actually has a computing power of a Super Computer class machine? That's has lots of Xeon Processors, with 32 nodes :) 
June 22, 2011 1:38:56 AM

hahaa end of thread...well personally i just felt like very "special" person after the 2 last posts.Hmmmm I would like to go for the WS Rev for the FT02, but maybe i could wait for the EVGA p67. Ill b on air, aspiring for tri sli for multi display, and some enthusiast lvl O/Cing
June 26, 2011 2:28:04 AM

the thread lives :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
June 29, 2011 8:49:21 AM

joelmartinez said:
the thread lives :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 

youre welcome hahaa :kaola: 
!