Sign in with
Your question

[Solved] New Western Digital Blue HDD Very Slow

Last response: in Storage
June 10, 2012 4:37:27 AM

Hi all

I just bought a New HDD Western Digital Blue 500GB . I put it into my Sata as normal . After I did that , My Windows Become Very Slow in booting , Also When I transfer a file to my New HDD it move very slow ( Some time it move fast at begin , but after transferring 1GB the speed drop`s to 4-3MB And lag`s a lot ) .

My Spec`s :

G41MT-S2P Gigabyte Mother Board .

Intel core 2 Qaud Q6600 2.4 ghz .

720 W Gigabyte Power Supply Unit .

8GB Ram DDR3 .

I checked it in devise manger To see what mode it using it using Ultra DMA ( There is once I checked and it was PIO , but I changed it to DMA and still no use ) .

Also tried to make HDD Check and scan with different app`s and it pass no error at all or bad Sector`s .

I also tried to plug it into Master and changing it to Slave Sata and still nothing . Also Changed the Sata Cable many time`s .

What is Weird is when the New 2nd HDD is on , the First HDD is kind slow . When I un plug the New HDD the first one back to normal ( Fast ) . I tried to plug only the New HDD and install Window`s on it , it was very slow ( Installing window`s took more than 5 hour`s ) .

I also update my Chipset and other hardware drivers .

Can someone please Tell me what`s wrong here ?! is there a setting in bio`s or window`s that I missed ?! or There is a jumper that I have to use it on the New HDD ?! or there is kind of trick here in motherboard ?!

Thank`s for Reading my Problem , Please Help me !! .

EDIT :

[Solved]

I know this is weird but , I have a DC Fan like these :

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/fans.html

It`s very big and noisy and also take 110V and 20W , Very strong one`s . I got one plugged near the New HDD , What I did is to unplug it ( By turning it off ) And the HDD worked Fast as it should .

My Guess is that the Magnetic field of that fan is very strong , so it affected the New HDD ( Also it was the reason for my old HDD to got Corrupted ) .

Thank`s all .
a c 261 G Storage
June 10, 2012 4:46:58 AM

My guess is that there might be something wrong with the drive! 5hrs for windows install way to long! RMA it.
m
l
June 10, 2012 4:50:57 AM

But the HDD is New ( Just bought before 2-3 day`s ) , I am afraid if it gonna work well in other Computer`s . I don`t know if I did something wrong or there is something with my motherboard ( Which is kind new too , Bought it before 2 month`s ) .

m
l
Related resources
a c 261 G Storage
June 10, 2012 4:57:35 AM

NEW does not mean not broken, happens all the time. Is the drive correctly connected?
Is it on the same controller as the other drive that works fine? Why does the other drive slow down when the new one is connected?
m
l
a c 125 G Storage
June 10, 2012 5:04:21 AM

in the bios sata drives should be set to achi. if it set to ide it can slow the drives down.
m
l
June 10, 2012 5:08:38 AM

smorizio said:
in the bios sata drives should be set to achi. if it set to ide it can slow the drives down.

My Chipset is ICH7 , It does not support ACHI or Raid ( As Intel Said ) . But can you tell me where to find that option in Bio`s ?! . Gonna try to search for it .
m
l
a c 125 G Storage
June 10, 2012 5:23:08 AM

there none for a mb that old is kust auto or maule setting for the hard drives.
m
l
June 10, 2012 5:28:33 AM

smorizio said:
there none for a mb that old is kust auto or maule setting for the hard drives.

I Really didn`t understand your point , can you please explain to me more ?

Thanks .
m
l
a c 125 G Storage
June 10, 2012 4:32:59 PM

that in the gigbyte bios for that mb there only three sata setting..(auto) (man) (off). there no achi or ide..mode in your bios..
the default setting is auto.
m
l
June 11, 2012 2:00:55 AM

[Solved]

It`s very big and noisy and also take 110V and 20W , Very strong one`s . I got one plugged near the New HDD , What I did is to unplug it ( By turning it off ) And the HDD worked Fast as it should .

My Guess is that the Magnetic field of that fan is very strong , so it affected the New HDD ( Also it was the reason for my old HDD to got Corrupted ) .

Thank`s all .
m
l
a c 261 G Storage
June 11, 2012 2:03:08 AM

nitroman said:
[Solved]

Thank`s all .

was it plugged into the same cable as the drive (s)?
m
l
June 11, 2012 3:17:52 AM

rolli59 said:
was it plugged into the same cable as the drive (s)?

no . it use a Direct Wire ( outside the PC ) . It`s kind not for PC`s , But I use it cause it`s so powerful and need it to cool my Video Card ( Since I am a Gamer ) . I got to say that it`s very greet Fan , but with a Strong Magnetic field ( Since it use 110 v And 20 W ) That it was slowing down my HDD and already corrupt my old HDD .

I think I will buy Cooler Master Fan if it does n`t have any these type`s of field`s .
m
l
a c 261 G Storage
June 11, 2012 3:19:30 AM

LOL that was a little extreme!
m
l
!