Install 3 drives in Dell Studio xps 9000

i have just installed 1T Seagate SATA drive (2nd bay)... have another of equal 1T Seagate SATA drive... the 1st 2 power cables are stacked... does the 3rd go beside the 2 stack?
6 answers Last reply
More about install drives dell studio 9000
  1. Define "Stacked"

SATA drives need 2 cables: 1 from power supply to drive (15-pin), 1 from drive to motherboard (7-pin).

Does this help?
  2. the power supply is linked or "piggybacked"... the 7 pin that goes to the motherboard... there are 2 (one above the other) and and additional 7 pin slot beside that... will the 3rd cable go there?
  3. foscooter said:
    Define "Stacked"

SATA drives need 2 cables: 1 from power supply to drive (15-pin), 1 from drive to motherboard (7-pin).

Does this help?

the power supply is linked or "piggybacked"... the 7 pin that goes to the motherboard... there are 2 (one above the other) and and additional 7 pin slot beside that... will the 3rd cable go there?
  4. There are 2 plugs/ports on the SATA drive:

One for power, 15-pin (flat/black) from the power supply, plugging into the drive.
    One for data, 7-pin (flat/red or ??) from the drive to the motherboard SATA port.

That is it!

Now these plugs from the PSU maybe on the same "cord" from the PSU, mine have 4 SATA plugs on one cord. Is this what you mean?

I'm confused about your "3rd cable" reference.
  5. thanks for your interest... reopenned cpu and realized that there are 5 SATA ports on the motherboard (clearly labeled)... and yes there is a shared cord with 3 SATA plugs...

installed the 3rd hard drive and all is working well... thanks again for your interest
  6. Ok, glad we got that figured out. Just different terms, same goal.
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell Studio Xps Seagate SATA Components