Sign in with
Your question

Biostar TA785G3/Corsair DDR 1600

Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2010 5:05:15 AM

I throw myself at the mercy of the Tom's commentariat...

I'll make this as short as possible:

This is my first build. I'm building an HTPC. I stupidly decided to add a degree of difficulty by building the PC directly into my entertainment center; no case.

Mobo: Biostar TA785G3 ver 6.3
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 2.9ghz
RAM: Corsair DDR3 1600 2gb
HDD: Hitachi 500gb
PSU: Corsair 400W

It should be a simple build. I've got everything mounted on a shelf. Used nylon spacers under the mobo. Installed all the components. It's not booting (not getting any VGA output). The LED lights on the board seem to be indicating a memory error.

LED 1 is blinking (short blink, long blink) and LED 2 is off. According to the manual, if LED 1 is on and LED 2 is off, there's a memory error.

I've tried each stick individually, no luck.

I keep noticing on the mobo specs that it supports DDR3 1600(OC)/1333/1066/800. Is it possible it's having a problem with my RAM because it's 1600? Does the OC mean that it only supports 1600 if it's overclocked? And how am I supposed to overclock it if I can't even get to the bios?

Also, on the Biostar website, it says it supports Corsair DDR3 1600.

Any help? Should I just go get some DDR3 1333 and see if that does it?
April 30, 2010 1:45:07 AM

Ok... now I'm about to lose my mind.

I found some tips to try while searching around at work today. Came home and popped the DDR3 1600 back in, hit the power switch and... nothing.

No power.

I haven't touched the thing since yesterday. And now the PSU won't budge. All the plugs are where they need to be.

Now I'm having a meltdown because I know that something wasn't working right with the mobo yesterday... and now nothing will work at all. So... is my PSU broken? How could it have broken just sitting there for a day? Is it my motherboard? I have no idea.

Please, please someone help.
!