Underclocking video card

b44b6

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Hello,I Have got an Hp DV4 laptop that recently started to get really hot, Iam not an expert but I got to download some program that shows the Temp of each core and the GPU, it seams that the GPU is the one that gets very hot especially when there is a great loadm mostly by games...My GPU is Nvidia 9200 GS, is underclocking a good safe way to treat this? if not is there any other way to reduce the temp. Thanx alot and am really sorry if this topic has been already discussed, Iam in a bit of a hurry.

Do you still have warranty? If not you should try getting rid of all the dust inside by opening the laptop. If you have and can't open the chassis, use a vacuum cleaner on all the openings on the outside.

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Its totally safe- only OVER clocking can be dangerous for a GPU. Underclocking may be able to cause instability if you under volt it as well, but can't really hurt it that way.

b44b6

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I have tried Underclocking but the temp didnt drop significantly (only 3 'C) and is still shooting up to 80 degrees when I start any program...I dont know but can it be the processor's heat being conducted to the GPU? if yes can I underclock a processor?

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
That could help as well, but part of what you're seeing as only a small heat drop is that you are only dropping the clocks, and not the voltage. The Voltage is where you'd see a bit more temp drop if you decreased it. I'm not sure how that works on a notebook, but you might be able to do it with one of the programs we suggested for underclocking.