Sign in with
Your question

First DIY system

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
April 29, 2010 6:17:50 AM

I'm building a comp for the first time and was after some insight on the components I've picked from my local store. The purpose for this build is mainly for media/entertainment, a bit of photo & video editing, with a possibility of a little gaming in the future (waiting to play SC2). Nothing too hardcore. I just want a reliable long lasting (hopefully), quiet, med-high performance PC that's not going to rip my wallet to shreds. I'm fresh out of the water in this field, so could you please kindly tell me if there's any thing out of place or missing from my setup. Also, will the EarthWatts EA 500D that comes with the case be enough to handle all of it? (I don't know how to use the power supply calculator properly)

Case: Antec Sonata III w/ PSU
Mobo: Asus P7P55D-LE
CPU: Intel Core i5-750
RAM: G.Skill-Ripjaws 4GB DDR3
GPU: ATI/MSI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB (SATA)
Optical Drive: LG Dual Layer DVDRW (SATA)

Optional Extras:
Network card: Asus PCE N13
Sound Card: Auzentech X-Studio 5.1

P.S. I already have a good monitor.

More about : diy system

April 29, 2010 6:27:38 AM

Quote:
I'm building a comp for the first time and was after some insight on the components I've picked from my local store. The purpose for this build is mainly for media/entertainment, a bit of photo & video editing, with a possibility of a little gaming in the future (waiting to play SC2). Nothing too hardcore. I just want a reliable long lasting (hopefully), quiet, med-high performance PC that's not going to rip my wallet to shreds. I'm fresh out of the water in this field, so could you please kindly tell me if there's any thing out of place or missing from my setup. Also, will the EarthWatts EA 500D that comes with the case be enough to handle all of it? (I don't know how to use the power supply calculator properly)

Case: Antec Sonata III w/ PSU
Mobo: Asus P7P55D-LE
CPU: Intel Core i5-750
RAM: G.Skill-Ripjaws 4GB DDR3
GPU: ATI/MSI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB (SATA)
Optical Drive: LG Dual Layer DVDRW (SATA)

Optional Extras:
Network card: Asus PCE N13
Sound Card: Auzentech X-Studio 5.1

P.S. I already have a good monitor.

I don't understand how the power supply calculator could possibly confuse you lol. But I'd say go higher. Like 650 or 750 to leave room for future upgrades. Everything else looks pretty good( don't know about the mobo though). And definately don't blow your money on a sound card especially not a cheap one like that. You really won't see the difference.
m
l
April 29, 2010 8:31:21 AM

That power supply is just fine for the listed system. In fact the whole system looks pretty good and I do not really see anything I would change. I have built several very similar recently and it should be a beast. The only way you need more power is if you upgrade to a 5850. In fact I think the Antec would be fine even if you were to Crossfire 2 x 5770s ( cutting it close then but probably OK ).
m
l
Related resources
April 29, 2010 2:34:48 PM

anort3 said:
That power supply is just fine for the listed system. In fact the whole system looks pretty good and I do not really see anything I would change. I have built several very similar recently and it should be a beast. The only way you need more power is if you upgrade to a 5850. In fact I think the Antec would be fine even if you were to Crossfire 2 x 5770s ( cutting it close then but probably OK ).

One should also take into account that psu's age and btw 2 5770's use 568 watts under stress while 1 5850 uses 319. And well as you can see your psu could'nt handle 2 5770's
m
l
Anonymous
April 29, 2010 3:02:49 PM

Thank you both for the replies. The reason why I am hopeless at using the power supply calc is because I am unfamiliar with a few of the computer jargon, and not ticking the right boxes would throw off the results.

I'm not an enthusiastic gamer, so i wouldn't need to crossfire 2 GPUs or upgrade to a 5850 (which will cost me double). We have a Thermaltake Armour that is currently unused due to my brother not having time to mod it. It's a damn nice case, but the thing is massive. That's why I prefer to get a mid-tower like the Sonata.

m
l
April 29, 2010 3:04:49 PM

Personally any computer I buy is 750W minimum. It is overkill I admit, but given that a PSU only uses what it requires it means the extra money you spend initially is all it costs you for what is fairly future proof. A 750W means you can upgrade the components in your machine without fear of under powering it, it also means as it gets older there is still plenty of juice to handle what you have.

I ifnd the price of a 750W PSU online is not bad and so struggle to justify scrimping to buy a lesser one.

If you do not game much the 5770 is good enough, though as a gamer I cannot help but recommend the 5850. You have a good monitor so I assume you are at least 1920 x 1080, that is pretty much the limit of the 5770 and new games will continue to challenge it.

The build you have just screams 'give me a good GPU!' with a 5850 you have a gaming rig that will be playing high settings for quite some time, and as you are not a gaming enthusiast I can almost guarantee that the card will last you 2.5 - 3 years.
You never know if a game may come out that interests you, and given the power of your computer it would be a real shame if the only thing holding you back was the graphics card.

It is worth noting that you can save money on the mobo if you are not bothered with XFire, as I have said elsewhere, I am a believer of a good card > two weak ones. I have always prefered a cheaper mobo and used the money saved for a bbetter GPU. This is ver much personal preference and some may disagree, but to me a single good reliable powerful card is always what I go for.

I personally don't go beyond a 500gb Hard drive and have never come close to filling it. So, you may find 1Tb is unnecessary extra cash that would be better spent on your PSU or GPU - on the other hand, you do use the comp for photo editting etc. so perhaps the 1Tb will be of use.
m
l
Anonymous
April 29, 2010 3:18:38 PM

^ The Antec EarthWatts 750 will cost me about $139 AUD. A little steep for a power supply I reckon. The monitor I have is an LG W2353V-PF. The 5850 does sound tempting, but that's $169AUD versus $379AUD. I can do with just 500GB as I already have 2 1TB external HDDs.

I will think about it more and see if I feel like shelling out more $$ for better PSU and GPU.

m
l
!