Need Help picking Mobo/Memory!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kudohlol

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Hey, im quite new to this building my own computer type deal, im looking to buy a mobo and i have no idea where to begin, whats what and whats best for what dollar ! <3 help please and thank you :)

So my computers story is that parts have been dying, and im just looking to pretty much start fresh...

So ive decided im going to pick up

GPU:XTX 6850 Most likely
Case: HAF 22
Cooling: Hyper 212+
PSU:XION Power Real 1000W ATX Power Supply

Now the question is, what mobo should i get, if my budget for the remaining parts (processor / mobo / memory) is about 400-600$
Secondary question, can i take the Q6600 processor from my current Mobo and Slap it into a new one? or is it just better to buy a new processor and update with the times?

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011

This suggestion from Saint19 is spot on. If you need to cut funding from his suggestion, you could buy 1333 MHz RAM for less money and your system will be fine. You won't likely notice any performance difference either, except on test programs. If you have a PSU that is 1000 watts, use it. If you haven't bought it yet, a 750 watt Gold or silver rated PSU from one of the best firms is the sweet spot. Checkout Tom's Hardware for a list of the good ones....buy Tier 1 products, not cheap stuff. I went a step higher in wattage output because PSU's loose output gradually over time (5-10% per year). Since my Corsair Ax-850 has a 7 year warranty, I want it to still have enough juice for the job in 7 years!

kudohlol

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I have a question, why am i going down to Duo Core system, even if its GHZ is 3.3-3.7 ghz, which is slightly better then my Q6660.

Can i just use my old processor from this mobo?

And why am i "downgrading" it sounds like a downgrade to go from 4 cores to 2... but im not very knowledgeable can u explain a bit why u recommend a duo core?

Eagle Eye_54

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
The 2500x and 2600x are not dual cores, they are quad cores. The bonus is they smoke the high end X58 chips, some with 6 cores ( in some of the tests I have read anyway). And no, you can not use your old CPU on this motherboard or vis versa. You would need a IGA 775 socket board. (Which I would never buy again because it is obsolete). You are not downgrading...you are going from a Corolla to a very fast and agile EVO. The difference in performance should blow you away! :D

kudohlol

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Cool thanks for the quick reply!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im like dying without my gaming rig... i feel so alone, and yeah i have a gf, so that says how much i love my games tabarnac :p

Okay so for a 800$ investment plus tax, im looking at a pretty Decent RIG!!!

If i select best answer does it like close this thread? so ppl don't waste time on my question anymore?

Eagle is right, even if the clock isn't the same, both CPU has different architectural, socket, cores and threads, the 2nd Intel generation comes with a lot of performance per core with less power use, less heat and better performance that 775 socket

Regarding the best answer, if you select the best answer we can keep the thread open for a wile, just add a post saying that you need keep the thread open a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.