Trouble connecting on local network with an xp and a win20..

I have an xp machine that is on a gateway that also connects our internet and
to another computer. Our other computer was a win 98 sec. machine. We had no
probs sharing files between the 2 computers. Now we updated the 98 machine to
win 2000. I have sharing enabled on both. The win2000 can see the other
computer no problem, but now the XP machine tries to ask for a password and
username to access the win 2000 rig. It shows the name of the other machine
on the network, but will only ask for a password. I did not initiate a
password for either machine. ???
Any clues would be appreciated.
Thank you
DR

On the Windows 2000 machine you have to create an account that is
an exact duplicate of one on the XP machine, same user name and
same password. The password can be left blank. Make sure that the
account you create has the necessary permissions to access the
shared resources on the Win2K machine.

Nepatsfan
"rubies17" <rubies17@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an xp machine that is on a gateway that also connects our
>internet and
> to another computer. Our other computer was a win 98 sec.
> machine. We had no
> probs sharing files between the 2 computers. Now we updated the
> 98 machine to
> win 2000. I have sharing enabled on both. The win2000 can see
> the other
> computer no problem, but now the XP machine tries to ask for a
> password and
> username to access the win 2000 rig. It shows the name of the
> other machine
> on the network, but will only ask for a password. I did not
> initiate a
> password for either machine. ???
> Any clues would be appreciated.
> Thank you
> DR

You are a god!!! ; )
Thank you sooo much. I mean that.
Thank you
David

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> On the Windows 2000 machine you have to create an account that is
> an exact duplicate of one on the XP machine, same user name and
> same password. The password can be left blank. Make sure that the
> account you create has the necessary permissions to access the
> shared resources on the Win2K machine.
>
> Nepatsfan
> "rubies17" <rubies17@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an xp machine that is on a gateway that also connects our
> >internet and
> > to another computer. Our other computer was a win 98 sec.
> > machine. We had no
> > probs sharing files between the 2 computers. Now we updated the
> > 98 machine to
> > win 2000. I have sharing enabled on both. The win2000 can see
> > the other
> > computer no problem, but now the XP machine tries to ask for a
> > password and
> > username to access the win 2000 rig. It shows the name of the
> > other machine
> > on the network, but will only ask for a password. I did not
> > initiate a
> > password for either machine. ???
> > Any clues would be appreciated.
> > Thank you
> > DR

Thanks for the praise, but, trust me, it has nothing to do with
divine powers. It has everything to do with having learned from
my mistakes. Only now, I'm able to make much bigger mistakes.

Glad to hear you've got that working.

> You are a god!!! ; )
> Thank you sooo much. I mean that.
> Thank you
> David
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> On the Windows 2000 machine you have to create an account that
>> is
>> an exact duplicate of one on the XP machine, same user name
>> and
>> same password. The password can be left blank. Make sure that
>> the
>> account you create has the necessary permissions to access the
>> shared resources on the Win2K machine.
>>
>> Nepatsfan
>> "rubies17" <rubies17@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >I have an xp machine that is on a gateway that also connects
>> >our
>> >internet and
>> > to another computer. Our other computer was a win 98 sec.
>> > machine. We had no
>> > probs sharing files between the 2 computers. Now we updated
>> > the
>> > 98 machine to
>> > win 2000. I have sharing enabled on both. The win2000 can
>> > see
>> > the other
>> > computer no problem, but now the XP machine tries to ask for
>> > password and
>> > username to access the win 2000 rig. It shows the name of
>> > the
>> > other machine
>> > on the network, but will only ask for a password. I did not
>> > initiate a
>> > password for either machine. ???
>> > Any clues would be appreciated.
>> > Thank you
>> > DR

I have a similar problem I was hoping you could help me with.

I have a w2k server and three XP pro workstations. I created usernames and
shares on the server. I can log on mount to those shares but I have trouble
browsing shares on the XP machines.

Any ideas?

For starters, you might want to post your question to the XP
networking newsgroup. Click New to start your own thread and give
as many details as you can about your problem. Make sure you
mention any error messages that are displayed when you attempt to
access the XP machines. Here's the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/newsReader.aspx?lang=en&cr=US&dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web&sloc=en-us

Starting a new thread in that newsgroup will give you a better
chance of getting help solving this problem.

From what you've described, I'd suspect that the Windows firewall
on the XP machines hasn't been configured to allow file sharing.
The following assumes you've installed SP2 on the XP boxes:

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Windows Firewall.
Click on the Exceptions page.
Make sure there is a check mark in the box next to "File and
Printer Sharing".
Click OK.

Keep in mind that if you're running any 3rd party firewalls, such
as Zone Alarm, Sygate, Kerio or one of the Internet Security
Suites, such as Norton or McAfee, then you're going to have to
follow the appropriate procedure to enable file sharing.

--
Nepatsfan