Closed

Do I need to flash BIOS to a Beta F6G?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 12, 2011 5:33:07 AM

Hi:

My home built system (originally 2008) is now:

CPU: AMD X4 965 3.4Ghz Socket AM3
PSU: Thermal-take TT|W0106RU 700W
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-D2SH (Rev 1.0)
RAM: 2x2Gb Crucial DDR21066 Dual Channel 7-7-7-24 (CT2KIT2566AA1067)
GPU: Using 780G on-board (HD3200) (Have an HD5670 GPU coming)

The CPU and RAM that I installed both worked right off. However, I finally noticed that CPU-Z reported the CPU at 4x multiplier - running at 800 MHz. ???? (At least the CPU temps are nice and low...)

Into the BIOS and set the multiplier to 8x (well within the advertised speed) and reports still at 4x/800Mhz. Noticed Windows does NOT recognize what the processor is and then in the BIOS start-up screen it doesn't know what the CPU ID is either. Ouch.

Went back and looked at the BIOS for the X4 965 CPU and its listed as "since F6G". My MoBo is on F1. (Yes, I entirely missed this when choosing to upgrade the CPU) It seems that AMD has this AGESA code that has something to do with recognition of the processor by the BIOS and in turn having the BIOS properly handle the processor. If that is true it might well explain why I'm stuck at the 4x multiplier.

In the list of several BIOS revisions on GB's web, the last is F6G and is listed as a beta. The F5 states: "Update CPU ID (Support AGESA 3.3.2.4 code for Phenom X3 CPU) and the F3 as: "Update CPU ID (Support AGESA3.3.2.3 code / AM3 CPU)". The AMD X4 965 is an AM3 CPU (implying the F3 BIOS) but the CPU support page sends me to the F6G beta BIOS.

I would asked GigaByte but prior attempts to get questions answered did not work.

1 Does anyone know if I'm stuck with the F6G? (Mostly concerned about it's stability)

2 Agree that the F1 (original BIOS) is inadequate in any case for the CPU I now have as in it is the likely cause of the very dumbed down multiplier?

3 Do we seriously need to actually have a floppy disk drive to do the update? (I won't go near @BIOS after what I have read) It cannot be done off a flash drive? (I have never flashed a BIOS before...) This is the impression I get as I went into the Q-Flash section of the BIOS (I did not change anything yet) but it said I could save existing BIOS to a FAT 32/16 FD or RAID but the new BIOS seemed to need a FDD to be installed. WTF.

Thanks.

More about : flash bios beta f6g

January 12, 2011 3:24:09 PM

NOTE: I went ahead with the flash and all seems well...
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a c 164 V Motherboard
January 12, 2011 8:44:25 PM

Good luck. You are probably OK. I never use Beta anything any more, as they are still in progress/testing, etc.
Related resources
January 22, 2011 1:04:37 AM

Best answer selected by lhim.
Score
a b à CPUs
a c 135 V Motherboard
January 22, 2011 6:21:33 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!