Noob question about hyper-threading

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I bought an Intel Core i7 930 and an X58 motherboard. The Ci7 has hyper-threading. I know that PC games do not in ANY way benefit from hyper-threading. My question is, what applications actually do benefit from this technology? What is it best and primarily used for?

I heard it makes your CPU run about 10 *C hotter when HT is enabled. Is HT enabled automatically by default, or do you have to enable/disable it manually in the BIOS?

ares1214

Splendid
hyper threading just makes it appear as 8 threads, so things that benefit from multi threads do. such as video encoding, or modeling. it isnt really useful for gaming or day to day uses. to my knowledge you can disable it in bios, and get lower heat and higher oc's. HT is automatically enabled. and if you dont need hyperthreading, why didnt u just buy the i5 750?

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

The LGA1366 socket and X58 chipset has better RAID controller, and triple-channel memory. I can also buy the 6-core gulftown after they come down in price a bit. Like when the Core i7 970X (gulftown with locked multiplier) comes out circia late-2010. It will likely be well below the $1,050 price tag of the 980X.

Hyper threading should not automatically increase your temperature, especially not by 10C,. Applications like some video encoders that use more than 4 cores can benefit from it significantly. If you are doing heavy multitasking it is more likely to be used, like if you are playing a game and your AV starts to scan you will take much less of a hit.

Its enabled by default and is controlled through BIOS if you wish to disable it.

If you are finding it hard to use the 8 threads available to you now, you should not be worrying about the upcoming 12 or higher thread processors.. Apps like 3DS Max can utilize upto 16 threads.. Also, physical cores have a better performance figure than logical cores.. So assuming you are working with an app like 3DS Max, a 6 core processor like i7 980X (with HT disabled) will give a better performance (clock to clock) when compared to the i7 930 with HT enabled..

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Yes you do benefit from hyper threading. Even the applications you use that cannot use/benefit from more cores, it still helps no matter what as the more cores can split the workload of handling the applications, processes, and background services which are significant of system resources. Lets say you have a 6 Core CPU, but all your games use only 4 cores at maximum. You can have 4 Cores handle the game and just the game, a simple dedication, while the other 2 cores handle your background services and processes which includes the Anti-Virus, Firewall, Critical operating system services...all of which take up resources. Where as if you had a Quad Core, your four cores would need to handle the game and handle the background processes and services on top of that/at the same time. So more cores is better no matter what, even if your applications can't use all of them.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

There aren't any games right now which use Four CPU cores, are there? Even Crysis only uses Two cores.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

There will be in the not too distant future, I would imagine.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

BFBC2 has a very CPU-intensive physics engine.

When it comes to gaming, i still would prefer a true hexa core compared to n amount of HT cores.. The i7 930 gets recommendation due to the X58 platform.. I don't feel HT as a viable feature to approve a CPU when it comes to pure gaming..