Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which p67 Motherboard for my i5 2500k

Last response: in Motherboards
January 12, 2011 7:42:11 AM

i am new to this forum so i hope i can get some help, i have been looking around the forums for a while now so i can decide which motherboards are the most decent priced and is still good for overclocking.

i am looking into either

asrock p67 extreme 4

gigabyte GA P67A UD3R

gigabyte GA P67A UD3

MSI P67A GD53

ASUS P8P67-M

some comments on these will be very appreciated.

ps. also as i will be overclocking, i was thinking about getting a cpu cooler, but some posts i've seen say that the stock cooler is good enough, i was looking into

coolermaster hyper 212+

will i need a cpu cooler?

thank you in advance for all the help

More about : p67 motherboard 2500k

January 12, 2011 8:17:57 AM

Did you just pick the cheapest p67 from each company?
I am curious too as I am also in the same boat.
But my choices are limited between gigabyte UD3 and ASUS P8p67(not M version)
m
l
January 12, 2011 12:48:16 PM

If you're overclocking I would recommend ASUS overall, but I would go with the P6P67 regular at least.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 12, 2011 2:18:06 PM

With their much improved BIOS, great features and excellent product track record, I too would suggest ASUS. The cheapest regular size board (ATX form factor) to consider is the P8P67. Go to their website and look at the various P67 boards that they have under the 1155 socket type. You can use the compare models feature on the site which shows the differences between them in an orderly manner. I believe you will get the best bang for the buck with ASUS boards and no, I don't work for them or sell them.
m
l
January 13, 2011 3:07:11 AM

joonkimdmd said:
Did you just pick the cheapest p67 from each company?
I am curious too as I am also in the same boat.
But my choices are limited between gigabyte UD3 and ASUS P8p67(not M version)

yeah, thank god there's someone like me. i'm not rich and jus a student so i'm limited on cash, so i had to look at the most basic ones. :cry: 

i'm just concerned that the cheaper boards aren't suitable for overclocking. asrock extreme 4 seems really good for their price compare to the other companies , but i've never heard of them before.

whats your opinion?
m
l
January 13, 2011 3:11:01 AM

any one know the difference between

gigabyte GA P67A UD3R

gigabyte GA P67A UD3

m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2011 4:05:12 AM

kjs5932 said:
any one know the difference between

gigabyte GA P67A UD3R

gigabyte GA P67A UD3

The UD3R version has support for Dolby® Home Theater, the UD3 does not.

m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 13, 2011 4:11:05 AM

kjs5932 said:
yeah, thank god there's someone like me. i'm not rich and jus a student so i'm limited on cash, so i had to look at the most basic ones. :cry: 

i'm just concerned that the cheaper boards aren't suitable for overclocking. asrock extreme 4 seems really good for their price compare to the other companies , but i've never heard of them before.

whats your opinion?

I would stick with the big name board if I was you. Consider issues like parts, service, reliability, re-sale, etc. ASUS is number one in the world for mobos and there has to be a reason for that.

The ASUS P67 boards overclock like no other that I have ever seen. The new BIOS is just made for OC'ing....they are superb. Yes, I own one an ASUS board (P8P67 Pro) and no I don't sell them or work for them. The P8 mobos all have the new BIOS and I think the interface and operation is great. You can read about it on various reviews.....it works!

All the best and good luck with whatever you are taking at school.
m
l
January 13, 2011 8:43:49 AM

Did you decide which one to get?
The reason I said my choices are limited to P8P67 was because it had great bundle deal at microcenter but it seems the deal is over ALREADY!!! AWWWWW.
So now I am back to your situation; trying to pick the most affordable, reliable, and OC available version motherboard for my 2500K.
m
l
January 16, 2011 12:19:52 AM

so now i'm looking between gigabyte ga p67a ud4, and asus p8p67 boards.

in terms of components and bios functions what is better,

all iknow is that asus has uefi bios and gigabyte doesnt.

and that gigabyte has better heat pipes/sinks.

what would you recomend to a beginer overclocker?

and just a side question, i've heard somewhere that on the new p67 motyherboards you cant install the xp os, something about the pci something.

so can i use xp 32 bit with these two chosen boards?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 12:40:43 AM

kjs5932 said:
so now i'm looking between gigabyte ga p67a ud4, and asus p8p67 boards.

in terms of components and bios functions what is better,

all iknow is that asus has uefi bios and gigabyte doesnt.

and that gigabyte has better heat pipes/sinks.

what would you recomend to a beginer overclocker?

and just a side question, i've heard somewhere that on the new p67 motyherboards you cant install the xp os, something about the pci something.

so can i use xp 32 bit with these two chosen boards?

The ASUS makes OC easy.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 12:47:27 AM

Why do the Intel brand boards only say DDR3-1066 and DDR3-1333? Do they not support DDR3-1600?
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 1:29:25 AM

If you are going for price to performance / features, I would highly recommend the ASRock P67 Extreme4. ASRock is owned by ASUS, so they are reliable.

I look at the two companies this way... ASUS is the Lexus and ASRock is the Toyota. They are both owned by the same company and produce quality products, with one highend and the other mid-to-low end.
m
l
January 16, 2011 1:44:27 AM

tecmo34 said:
If you are going for price to performance / features, I would highly recommend the ASRock P67 Extreme4. ASRock is owned by ASUS, so they are reliable.

I look at the two companies this way... ASUS is the Lexus and ASRock is the Toyota. They are both owned by the same company and produce quality products, with one highend and the other mid-to-low end.

thanks for the info. but one question in yerms of overclocking is it user friendly in asrock boards or will i be better off paying a bit more on asus or gigabute
m
l

Best solution

a c 235 V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 1:58:08 AM

Yes, it is overclock friendly :)  I wouldn't worry about that but if is a concern and want to "feel safer" than go with ASUS. I would stay away from Gigabyte (starting to see a few issues popping up with them here on Tom's). I read one post where the OP quoted Gigabyte on a "bad batch" hitting on the UD5. Not a good thing to hear from a major company... IMO.
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 2:07:56 AM

tecmo34 said:

Asrock parted ways with Asus a LONG time ago. They are not the same company.
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 2:28:39 AM

geekapproved said:
Asrock parted ways with Asus a LONG time ago. They are not the same company.

They are a spin off of ASUS, which ASUS is the parent company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASRock
m
l
January 16, 2011 5:37:49 AM

Do you guys know if Asrock Extreme 4 motherboard is also SLI/Crossfire friendly?
m
l
January 16, 2011 7:01:59 AM

ive heard somewhere that asus boards abd other p67boards dont support xp os.

ive read this somewhere abd not.sure if this is valid info.

so.can i use.xp.32 bit on an asus board?
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 12:03:33 PM

joonkimdmd said:
Do you guys know if Asrock Extreme 4 motherboard is also SLI/Crossfire friendly?

It supports both CrossfireX and SLI (so it is SLI/Crossfire friendly :)  ).
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 12:09:29 PM

kjs5932 said:
I checked ASUS's website for the P8P67 EVO and it has drivers listed for support for XP, so you should be good to go using XP on the P67 boards by ASUS.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2011 12:30:21 PM

kjs5932 said:
ive heard somewhere that asus boards abd other p67boards dont support xp os.

ive read this somewhere abd not.sure if this is valid info.

The better questino is, why would you want to still use XP??
m
l
January 16, 2011 1:46:03 PM

geekapproved said:
The better questino is, why would you want to still use XP??

i dont,, wel kinda, i multiboot, cause im korean and some korean freeware dont support windows 7.

so for me although xp compatibility isnt essential, but definitely would be prefered.
so still my question is, can i run win xp with p67 boards?
m
l
January 16, 2011 2:36:37 PM

p8p67 deluxe > other motherboards
m
l
January 17, 2011 12:44:45 AM

geekapproved said:
Like I said.....not anymore.

According to their most recent annual report (2009) Asus owns 58.65% of ASRock.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2011 2:54:11 PM

Key word "2009".
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
January 17, 2011 3:31:09 PM

@GeekApproved: As of Sept 30, 2010, ASUS owns 25% roughly of PEGATRON (which I believe owns ASRock now). As of June 1, 2010, ASUS no longer has control over ASRock, so you are correct on your statement.

Quote:
(A) On June 1, 2010, the Company transferred further its OEM assets and business (the
Company‟s long-term equity investment in PEGATRON) to the Company‟s another
investee, Pegatron International Investment Co., Ltd. (Pegatron Investment). The
Company had discontinued consolidating the accounts of PEGATRON and its
subsidiaries since it lost control over these subsidiaries.

http://www.corpasia.net/taiwan/2357/financial/29/EN/201...
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
January 17, 2011 4:24:47 PM

Quote:
OK, but has the quality of ASRock and ASUS gone down to any of you.?

I have seen no decrease in quality... I would say I've seen a little increase in ASRock's quality. ASUS is ASUS, so no change there :) 
m
l
January 17, 2011 4:25:50 PM

tecmo34 said:
@GeekApproved: As of Sept 30, 2010, ASUS owns 25% roughly of PEGATRON (which I believe owns ASRock now). As of June 1, 2010, ASUS no longer has control over ASRock, so you are correct on your statement.

Quote:
(A) On June 1, 2010, the Company transferred further its OEM assets and business (the
Company‟s long-term equity investment in PEGATRON) to the Company‟s another
investee, Pegatron International Investment Co., Ltd. (Pegatron Investment). The
Company had discontinued consolidating the accounts of PEGATRON and its
subsidiaries since it lost control over these subsidiaries.

http://www.corpasia.net/taiwan/2357/financial/29/EN/201...

Wow, they really muddied the ownership waters with that transaction.

Quote:
In order to enhance own-brand business and boost productivity, the board of directors of ASUSTeK Computer Inc. (ASUSTek) resolved on December 11, 2009 but revised it on January 1, 2010, to spin-off or cede its OEM group (Pegatron Corporation (the Company)) to Pegatron International Investment Co., Ltd. (Pegatron Investment), which is being held by ASUSTeK. Pegatron Investment will issue new shares to ASUSTeK and all shareholders of ASUSTek, for which, ASUSTek and all other shareholders of ASUSTek will acquire 25% ownership and 75% ownership, respectively, of the equity of Pegatron Investment. The record date of this spin-off is June 1, 2010. Following the spin-off, the Company merged with Pegatron Investment. The Company issued 10 thousands new shares, resulting in additional capital of $100. Thereafter, the total outstanding capital amounted to $22,860,639, divided into 2,286,064 thousand shares with par value of $10 per share.

http://www.pegatroncorp.com/download/FinancialStatements_2010_3Q_eng.pdf

If I'm reading that right ASUS now owns 25% of Pegatron (which got diluted a little after another stock issue) and all of the ASUS shareholders got the remaining 75% (again, diluted a little after the new issue). So, ASUS no longer owns ASRock or their parent company. So now the board of directors at ASUS controls 25% of the voting shares as a group. The individual directors are also the largest shareholders and are now the board of directors at Pegatron. I should be able to verify that once both companies release their 2010 annual reports but basically ASUS no longer owns ASRock but the same people are in charge of both companies.

In any case, the restructuring is reasonably new so any statements about quality stemming from ownership by ASUS are still probably true.
m
l
January 18, 2011 12:04:01 PM

ok. im gona get asus p8p67. but do you think it would be better to get pro with a little extra cash?

and. do you think the extra cost for asus over asrock was a good choice?
m
l
January 19, 2011 6:05:35 AM

yeh!

i just bought asus p8p67

but im also gona buy. some ram and im thinking 4 gigs. i was lookong at g skill but does anyone have any opinions?

ps imat the shops now so i need the info asap if possible
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
January 19, 2011 8:33:34 AM

G.SKILL are good brands for memory. I recommend them often for builds, so you should be good to go with them.
m
l
January 20, 2011 2:10:04 AM

ok. so where i am they only.sell ripjaw 12800,but on the g skill site the ripjaw x is the layest and designed for sandy bridge7, and the ripjaw doesnt have p67 boards pn their compatibility list.

so how are the ripjaw and ripjaw x different and
can i use ripjaw 12800 with my asus p8p67

ps. i love the board the layput and design looks awesome. i hope it runs as well as it looks. thanks.everyone for thr help
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2011 8:34:29 AM

I got myself Kingston HyperX Ti 2 x 2GB DDR3 2133MHz. I'm considering another set like this, to pump my rig up to 4 x 2GB @ 2200MHz (OC'ed on my Asus P8P67 Pro).

I've seen some people recommend 2 x 4GB RAM chips, and I don't understand it... You will then have two spare slots on your motherboard, and if you are to fill them up, you will sit with 16GB of RAM (given you populate with the same as what you have). Why would you want 16GB of RAM? Or even 8GB for that matter?
m
l
January 26, 2011 2:36:12 AM

Best answer selected by kjs5932.
m
l
March 16, 2011 2:13:25 PM

ASUS P8P67-M PRO or Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3?

Both look cool :) 
I just need DDR3, USB 3, SATA 6GB/S, CROSSFIRE X , OVERCLOCKING UTILITIES
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2011 6:12:22 PM

Quote:
I'd just get windows 7 professional 64-bit with 8GB of RAM and run 'xp-mode' for XP programs.. IMO.

Yeah, if money is no object, why not? Win7 pro system builder is $139 and windows 7 home prem is $99. If you already have the XP license, why pay the extra $40? Just for fun?
m
l
!