SSD Not showing correct GB

adambeau

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
I am using an ocz vertex 3 120gb ssd as my second drive and i am booting on my samsung 830 ssd. Both seem to be working perfectly except the other day i formatted the ocz drive to its default state and then i installed only 1 program on it called camtasia studio 7. It still says that there are 111gb of 111gb free on the drive when i know that is not possible.

How can i make it respond with the correct GB/GB so i know how much i have left? reformat?

Thanks as always this community is the only reason my computer even runs!

-Adam

Solution
http://www.killertechtips.com/2009/05/05/how-to-resize-partitions-in-windows-7/

There! U don't have to buy or download any software. Windows 7 has it. use the link above. Just go to your start menu and type "create and Format. Click on the link and your there. best of luck! Let us know what u find.

thbrett

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
When you format a drive you lose some of the drive space for the OS "Windows/iOS" to use so yes with a 120GB drive you will only see about 111GB available to you.

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I wonder if you've accidently installed your software on the hidden partition? I would delete both partitions. Then, I'd make one partition for the entire drive. Then, format that partition. Good luck.

adambeau

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

i see, how would i delete both partitions?

and yes i realize i lose drive space that is not what im talking about.. GB/GB i dont care about the total just want to know how much of the 111gb i have used so far.

For the millionth time, for a question that has been answered more times than I can count and would take 2 seconds of Googling...

Computers work in binary. A GB is (technically its gibibyte, GiB, but windows uses GB) is 1,073,741,824 to windows.

Harddrives are sold according to SI units. GB (gigabyte) which is 1,000,000,000. You bought a 120GB/111GiB drive. you have exactly what you paid for and windows is showing the size correctly

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
unksol, Can't you add your opinions here without the sarcasm? No need for you to be rude........ Or to try and mnake someone feel stupid. that isnt any help at all..... And, even if you're right, you failed to address the issue at hand, which is...why isn't it at least deducting the space hes used from the 111gb that is showing? Windows is still not showing him how much spoace hes used.......

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

To delete both partitions, you need software that will do that. I use Acronis Disk Director, but...there are lots of choices. Some of them are even free. After deleting both partitions, just make one active partition and then format it. At least, if u had the software, u could look at the drive and see how many partitions are there. U may find out that u already have just one. Seems like that would be the place to begin. Then, let us know......Best of luck!

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
http://www.killertechtips.com/2009/05/05/how-to-resize-partitions-in-windows-7/

There! U don't have to buy or download any software. Windows 7 has it. use the link above. Just go to your start menu and type "create and Format. Click on the link and your there. best of luck! Let us know what u find.

Solution

adambeau

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

its funny because you obviously didn't read or you never would have written all of that. not the question. the question is i am installing things to the drive and it is still telling me 111gb are free, that is the only issue!