Few issues with new build - P8P67 Pro

Nerdbox87

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Hi,

Just finished changing my CPU/Mobo over to my new i7 2600k/P8P67 Pro, and have encountered a few problems now that its up and running;

Firstly - whenever I restart the PC, it hangs @ the 'Asus Press Delete to Enter Bios' screen for probably 3-4minutes. The does not happen from a regular boot or if I shut down the computer and boot it back up straight away - only from restarting in windows.

This seems really odd??? Is this an Asus feature (some sort of weird hardware protection thing) - or any other ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Secondly - I'm unable to control the fan speed of my secondary GPU in crossfire through MSI Afterburner which is frustrating as I like the custom fan profiles (primary card however works fine).

Is this likely an issue with the new chipset - and to be ironed out in time with an update to Afterburner?

and Lastly, in Ati Overdrive (under CCC - have tried both 10.12 preview and 10.10e) the temperature and GPU utilisation of my secondary card appear as zero, however are readable in other programs such as HWinfo32 and GPU-Z.

Edit: also doesn't read clock speeds and fan speed is read incorrectly.

Again - another chipset issue to be ironed out with time?

(Otherwise - well worth the upgrade over my x4 965 @ 4.0ghz which was bottlenecking my 6870s @ 1920x1200 by 10fps in Crysis / Crysis Warhead, and haven't even overclocked this baby yet)

JE_D

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Interesting...... Have you tried updating your UEFI or BIOS (whatever you want to call it)
http://ca.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=HMMvTCuBcZLfu2YL

Nerdbox87

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Thanks for the reply, flashing to the latests bios was one of the first things I tried.

Weirdly though - I tried a reformat late last night, and I didn't get the hang at bios load screen thing untill i'd installed windows updates - and restarted to finish them off.

All the previous restarts (such as after chipset install) went through fine.

Also I've noticed now my SSD Boot Drive doesn't appear on the Boot Priorities List in the Bios - though if I go to the boot menu it shows up, so I'm leaning towards some sort of weird compatability issue mabe? (Vertex 2 60g).

Also occassionally when I press the power switch - it powers on for maybe 3-5seconds, switches off for a couple of seconds and then boots up.

This has me stumped.

JE_D

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

WINDOWS UPDATE!!!! did you by any chance use windows update to install device drivers?
Cause Windows Update usually gives you shitty drivers. its best to download the drivers straight from the manufacturers website

Nerdbox87

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Nope only installed critical/security updates - might have a quick look when I get home at what installed though.

All drivers installed before I even plug a network cable in to be sure - from a burnt CD with latest drivers.

Boot problem only occurs with my ssd plugged in - might try firmware update for the drive as I've never done that, and then try the other slightly older bios rev.

Try a different sata port for your ssd. if its in the 6Gb port try the 3Gb port OR vice versa.

Nerdbox87

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Have tried switching the ports over - from 6gb to 3gb, with no effect - though I was still using a 6g rated cable though doubt this matters?

(had tried this because my spinpoint had issues not being detected on the 6th ports on my old mobo, and with this one it gives errors from the 6gb too)

ya try the 3gb cable.

JE_D

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

There is no physical difference between a SATA 6Gbp/s and a SATA 3Gbp/s Cable. Switching cables will probably do nothing

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009

Actually, that's not exactly true.

"9: Does SATA 6Gb/s require different connectors and cables to support the higher
transfer speed?
A9: The same cables and connectors used for current SATA 1.5 and SATA 3.0 Gb/s
implementations can be used to connect SATA 6Gb/s devices, although SATA-IO recommends
quality components be selected to ensure data integrity and robust operation at the faster SATA
6Gb/s transfer rate. Keeping the existing SATA connector form factor enables SATA 6Gb/s to
be designed into the same cost-conscious hardware architectures while minimizing
infrastructure changes."

http://www.sata-io.org/documents/SATA-Revision-3.0-FAQ-FINAL.pdf

I know ASUS is including specially marked SATA 3 (6 GB/s) cables with their new p67 boards, to go in separate SATA 3 ports. If there was no difference at all, why would they do this?

To me the answer lies in the quote above. They are likely better cables built to more exacting specifications to handle the increased speeds with better error rates.

But in the OP's case, changing them out may make no difference because he's not running any SATA 3 devices. The SATA 3 cables will easily handle his SATA 2 devices because they are backwards compatible- but it would not be wise to use SATA 2 cables to connect SATA 3 devices.

As to the OP's post in general, this is not looking good for me as I have on order the P8P67 Deluxe/i7 2600K, and am about to build it. And to me this is sounding like another Windows Update issue... :sarcastic: Here we go again. But thanks OP, I think I will hold off on doing any updates on my rig for a while after installing Win 7 Pro 64 on Zalman N Series SSD. If it's not giving the error until the Windows Updates are done, that's a pretty big clue.

JE_D

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Well you make a very good point. However no where in that above statement does it say that a SATA II cable is physically different from a SATA III cable.
I does state however that a Higher quality cable is recommend for SATA III. also you are right; changing cables will not affect anything as his SDD cannot benefit from the higher bandwidth SATA III provides.

But Windows update (A.K.A. Windows screw your new PC update) always causes problems.
I personally install updates one at a time, so if a problem occurs I can reverse it quickly.

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Well, I'll bet ASUS took one of their SATA 2 cables, stuck some SATA 3 devices on it, and measured all sorts of things. Error rates, data integrity, resistance, speed, you name it. And somewhere the tests showed that they were going to have to get better cables. So they requisitioned and tested the new ones, and got what they needed. And now they are in the box.

I've also read on the SATA 3 spec that better connectors will be used. Does there appear to be any difference in the ends, Nerdbox87? Other than the color of course. I dunno, ain't seen mine yet. The quality and spec of the cable itself is probably likely the biggest physical difference.

I can tell you this though- I will be connecting my SATA 2 devices with the SATA 3 cables. :D Until I get SATA 3 devices that is.

JE_D

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Yup me to :)..... I hope to get this board within the next few days

mcniglsworth

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
The turn on and off and restart problem you were saying you have, I have that too. Can't figure out what it is... As for the boot freezing problem: looks like you have it solved but I had that too, it was my mouse that would freeze it. The second I unplugged it, everything would boot up.

Nerdbox87

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Interesting - but I don't have it solved -> still going to try firmware flash for my ssd and another bios revision and few other things, as I've only just got home now.

- you don't by any chance have a Sidewinder X8 though (my mouse)?

Nerdbox87

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Yeah - suspected RAM since i'm running 4x2gb 1600s - have them at 1333 just to make sure they're not the cause.

Also yes to a sound card - Asus Essence STX, which did cause me problems originally with my previous Gigabyte Board (BSOD - untill newer drivers were released), however boot problems exist even with it not installed.

When the problem happens I get an error 'unknown USB device connected' under Action Center, and this dosn't occur from a boot from turned off - so making sure my mouse+keyboard drivers are installed now.

(As for the SSD - OCZ is pretty trustworthy, though my GSkill Falcon II died within 6 months, and prevented my PC from even posting/displaying anything which caused a few headaches lol)

Nerdbox87

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Gents - after heaps of further investigation;
- RAM seems to only run @ 1333mhz (@CL7)
- I had forgotten to disable onboard sound (durrrr)

However - dum dum dum.....

It's my Spinpoint F3 1tb thats the problem - always boots and restarts without a hickup with it unplugged.

It's a popular drive - so I wonder whether this is a compatibility issue with the motherboard or rather it's just dieing right as I decide to rebuild?? (unlikely much)

Nerdbox87

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Sigh - scratch all of the above - issues returned with just the SSD installed.

However, the problem returned the moment I installed HWinfo32 - the program I use to monitor my Temps (through G15 screen) and set it as a startup item. Now that I've disabled it's startup and deleted it everything's fine again.

And - i'm willing to bet that it's installed to my Spinpoint and set to autostart - hopefully this is the problem (don't have my hopes too high though), will test tommorow after work (its 1:15am here) lol

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I think you're right about that. I downloaded a Windows Update hardware driver for my PNY Quadro NVS 440 and it really screwed things up. I had to do a restore and then download the driver direct from PNY.

You're not the first person to warn about downloading hardware drivers from Windows Updates.

JE_D

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Well good luck. I hope it fixes the problem.

Yeah, I have about 3 drivers Windows Update wants me to install.
My response to that is: ummm.................NO!