Cpu fan

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 6:48:28 AM

.h!
i have a problem .
why is that the cpu fan of mine doesn't work . ??
my mobo have 3 pin only while my cpu fan hve 4 wire
my computer really doesn'twork .
what will i do?

More about : cpu fan

a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 7:00:20 AM

Did you build the PC yourself or buy it from a shop? What make and model are your CPU and motherboard?
m
l
a c 92 ) Power supply
a c 87 à CPUs
July 7, 2010 7:11:37 AM

Try the other 3 pins on the fan? You can fit three of them on the header at a time, make sure you try it both ways. If that still doesn't work, try using a 3 pin case fan.

Bios's are setup to not allow the machine to boot if there isn't a fan attached to the CPU header. This prevents you from destroying your CPU if the fan dies.
m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2010 7:30:37 AM

4745454b said:
Try the other 3 pins on the fan? You can fit three of them on the header at a time, make sure you try it both ways. If that still doesn't work, try using a 3 pin case fan.

Bios's are setup to not allow the machine to boot if there isn't a fan attached to the CPU header. This prevents you from destroying your CPU if the fan dies.

actually, my motherboard allows me to boot without a fan attached to the cpu header (since I watercool) I didn't change any settings..

the 4th pin is for pwn fans meaning the motherboard can read rpm's of the fan, increasing/decreasing speed with the variances in the cpu temperature..

if you dont mind your fan running at 100% speed, you can just plug 3 pins in.. if your computer is not booting, maybe you've plugged it into the wrong place.. around the cpu socket, you can sometimes find a fan header for a fan for the northbridge or RAM cooler..

m
l
a c 92 ) Power supply
a c 87 à CPUs
July 7, 2010 11:40:56 AM

I never said it couldn't be turned off. As I understand it most boards will ship with it turned on. You usually have to turn it off.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
a c 172 à CPUs
July 7, 2010 1:17:48 PM

xhax, plug the 4 pin fan connector into the 3 pin motherboard header so that the blue wire hangs over the edge unconnected. The connector will only fit one way.

If everything else works, so will your fan. If your system doesn't work, you have something wrong. In which case:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
m
l
!