Canon a95 Comments

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 8, 2004 6:26:01 AM

Thinking of picking one of these up as a Christmas gift - Canon a95. I've
read the reviews - looks good, price is right ($350), has 5Mp and a slew of
features that allow manual settings too. Seems like a good choice but I'd
like to hear what others have to say that have used it for awhile - pro's /
con's.

Appreciate your help,

Bob S.

More about : canon a95 comments

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 6:26:02 AM

i have owned the 3.2 a70 for 1 year now. I am very pleased with it.
There is a little bit of bluing around the bright white colors in a
picture, but other than that, it has been a great camera. I have the
waterproof case that makes it great for taking pictures that no one
else can get.

Check ebay before you pay full retail.
December 8, 2004 9:32:10 AM

Available from www.bhphotovideo.com for $309 + shipping (about another $10)
B&H is very reputable.
See review for the A95 at www.dcresource.com . Rated as one of the best
cameras under $400 in the Holiday Gift Guide.

--
Terry
Remove the rodent from my email address to reply directly.
"BobS" <spam@eliminator.com> wrote in message
news:D vutd.52020$AL5.11260@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> Thinking of picking one of these up as a Christmas gift - Canon a95. I've
> read the reviews - looks good, price is right ($350), has 5Mp and a slew
> of
> features that allow manual settings too. Seems like a good choice but I'd
> like to hear what others have to say that have used it for awhile - pro's
> /
> con's.
>
> Appreciate your help,
>
> Bob S.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 8, 2004 11:41:09 AM

BobS wrote:

> Thinking of picking one of these up as a Christmas gift - Canon a95. I've
> read the reviews - looks good, price is right ($350), has 5Mp and a slew of
> features that allow manual settings too. Seems like a good choice but I'd
> like to hear what others have to say that have used it for awhile - pro's /
> con's.
>
> Appreciate your help,
>
> Bob S.

My sis and I have been getting acquainted with an orphaned A95. She's a
technophobe but finally learned how to revert to full auto, which she
uses to blast away. At Mom's Thanksgiving fete, I was actually
impressed with the results considering it's her first foray into the
digicam world. I'd post a few links but all images stay locked up on
Mom's PC which doesn't know how to spell internet.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

I ordered mine from Amazon, haven't got it yet. It's a shade under $310 with
free shipping if you don't mind an extra couple of day wait. Also got a
256mb viking cf for $25. Forgot to throw in the under $6 canon soft case.
Get everything at once and save on the shipping. I've been very happy with
Amazon.
Dave Cohen

"Jer" <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message
> BobS wrote:
>
>> Thinking of picking one of these up as a Christmas gift - Canon a95.
>> I've
>> read the reviews - looks good, price is right ($350), has 5Mp and a slew
>> of
>> features that allow manual settings too. Seems like a good choice but
>> I'd
>> like to hear what others have to say that have used it for awhile - pro's
>> /
>> con's.
>>
>> Appreciate your help,
>>
>> Bob S.
>>

> My sis and I have been getting acquainted with an orphaned A95. She's a
> technophobe but finally learned how to revert to full auto, which she uses
> to blast away. At Mom's Thanksgiving fete, I was actually impressed with
> the results considering it's her first foray into the digicam world. I'd
> post a few links but all images stay locked up on Mom's PC which doesn't
> know how to spell internet.
>
> --
> jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 5:04:53 PM

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 03:26:01 GMT
"BobS" <spam@eliminator.com> wrote:

> Thinking of picking one of these up as a Christmas gift -
> Canon a95. I've read the reviews - looks good, price is right
> ($350), has 5Mp and a slew of features that allow manual
> settings too. Seems like a good choice but I'd like to hear
> what others have to say that have used it for awhile - pro's /
> con's.

Had one about 6 weeks and 1500+ shots with no complaints so far
:)  The most common complaint I hear (read?) is that it takes
'soft' pictures, but to my eye, they are pretty good, and I
crop and sharpen them before printing anyway.

As I've said in a few places, it takes good shots on full auto
and great shots if you learn to use the presets and manual
modes. First thing I did was turn OFF the AiAF focus, and just
use centre focus, it's faster, and if I want to focus on
something off centre, then I focus on it, half push to get focus
lock, then recompose. It's still faster than using AiAF.

From everything I've read, I think cameras in this price bracket
are a lot like Ford/ Holden (Chevy over in US?) - They are all
cars, they all go from A to B, but some preffer Ford, Some
Holden. Same with Canon, Sony, Kodak etc. They all take photos,
they all have pros and cons, you just need to bite the bullet,
get one, and realise that there's always going to be someone,
somewhere saying you should have bought brand y instead.

-Chris D
December 8, 2004 5:32:10 PM

Thank you for your inputs and it's a go for a Xmas gift since no one jumped
in and said it's a real dog.

Gotta admit I was overwhelmed with the choices available out there today -
it's mind-boggling.

Thanks,

Bob S.
December 8, 2004 9:59:53 PM

Dave,

To go a bit off topic here but since you mentioned one of my favorite
companies, I just can't resist....

I ordered from Amazon about a year ago and was happy with the transaction -
then. When I went shopping for my Pentax *istD this past August, no one
locally carried it, so I tried Amazon. I'll not go into details but it was
a 4 day freaking nightmare of whatever could go wrong - did go wrong. "How
to loose a $2000+ order" could have been on the best sellers list if I wrote
out all that happened that week with them.

I ended up going to the Dell site and ordering it for less than what Amazon
had it listed for. In 15 minutes, I placed the order, had confirmation and 1
hour later I had a notice it had been shipped and included a tracking
number. It was at my door the next day - free shipping.

I know a lot of things can be purchased from reputable dealers on the net
and most of the time you can save more than a few bucks (no tax, etc.) but I
really prefer to give my business to the locals who help support our
community (jobs, taxes, etc.). Yes, I pay a few bucks more and have to pay
the local taxes but ya know - it's worth it in the long run. I can go to
them (local camera shop) and ask for help, look and touch the equipment and
get their input (biased as it may be...;-) and they know I'm not just
kicking tires or will try it here and buy it there.

Not to say I don't order from the net but if I can find what I want locally,
that's where I'll shop first.

So know I'll get off my soapbox and say Thank you for your input.

Bob S.

"Dave Cohen" <dave@example.net> wrote in message
> I ordered mine from Amazon, haven't got it yet. It's a shade under $310
with
> free shipping if you don't mind an extra couple of day wait. Also got a
> 256mb viking cf for $25. Forgot to throw in the under $6 canon soft case.
> Get everything at once and save on the shipping. I've been very happy with
> Amazon.
> Dave Cohen
December 8, 2004 10:01:40 PM

Jer,

Thanks for taking the time to give me your opinion. It sounds like a winner
from people that have hands-on experience and not just market hype.

Bob S.

> My sis and I have been getting acquainted with an orphaned A95. She's a
> technophobe but finally learned how to revert to full auto, which she
> uses to blast away. At Mom's Thanksgiving fete, I was actually
> impressed with the results considering it's her first foray into the
> digicam world. I'd post a few links but all images stay locked up on
> Mom's PC which doesn't know how to spell internet.
>
> --
> jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
December 8, 2004 10:19:55 PM

BobS wrote:

> It sounds like a winner
>from people that have hands-on experience and not just market hype.

A friend has a one, and it works as good as my recently acquire 3mp
version, the A75. I bought it for basic social events (parties and such)
so I wouldn't have to carry my big SLR with me. It takes great pictures,
and the A95 performs just as well, but with more resolution.

If I didn't have an SLR, and I had only one digicam to pick, the A95
would certainly be on the short list. :)
December 9, 2004 3:42:57 AM

Thanks Bill. I also looked at the a75 but liked the larger screen and the
way it swivels.

Bob S.

"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:isednTDaDYi2ByrcRVn-pw@golden.net...
> BobS wrote:
>
> > It sounds like a winner
> >from people that have hands-on experience and not just market hype.
>
> A friend has a one, and it works as good as my recently acquire 3mp
> version, the A75. I bought it for basic social events (parties and such)
> so I wouldn't have to carry my big SLR with me. It takes great pictures,
> and the A95 performs just as well, but with more resolution.
>
> If I didn't have an SLR, and I had only one digicam to pick, the A95
> would certainly be on the short list. :)
December 9, 2004 3:42:58 AM

BobS wrote:

>Thanks Bill. I also looked at the a75 but liked the larger screen and the
>way it swivels.

For a primary camera, the A95 is obviously the better choice. It's a
very good camera.

I opted for the 3 megapixel version simply because it's a secondary
camera for me and the 3mp images are more than enough resolution.
December 9, 2004 9:24:48 AM

You can buy the A95 from www.bhphotovideo.com for $309 + about $10 shipping.
B&H is very reputable and reliable.

--
"Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:fYmdnct77qAvNircRVn-3Q@golden.net...
> BobS wrote:
>
>>Thanks Bill. I also looked at the a75 but liked the larger screen and the
>>way it swivels.
>
> For a primary camera, the A95 is obviously the better choice. It's a
> very good camera.
>
> I opted for the 3 megapixel version simply because it's a secondary
> camera for me and the 3mp images are more than enough resolution.
December 9, 2004 7:07:21 PM

Thanks for your inputs - all very positive which is good to hear and
supports the market-hype I've been reading also. I have 5 other 35mm
camera's (4 SLRs, 2 DSLRs) and this one will be an upgrade for the wife from
a Fugi #Mp I purchased a couple of years back. That will go to one of our
nieces or nephews and the a95 will become her toy.

Appreciate your time to comment,

Bob S.

"Terry" <ratcafepolier@comcast.net> wrote in message
> You can buy the A95 from www.bhphotovideo.com for $309 + about $10
shipping.
> B&H is very reputable and reliable.
>
> --
> Terry
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 2:29:48 AM

In article <isednTDaDYi2ByrcRVn-pw@golden.net>, Bill <bill@c.a> wrote:

> BobS wrote:
>
> > It sounds like a winner
> >from people that have hands-on experience and not just market hype.
>
> A friend has a one, and it works as good as my recently acquire 3mp
> version, the A75. I bought it for basic social events (parties and such)
> so I wouldn't have to carry my big SLR with me. It takes great pictures,
> and the A95 performs just as well, but with more resolution.
>
> If I didn't have an SLR, and I had only one digicam to pick, the A95
> would certainly be on the short list. :)

After looking around some little bit, if I had bought a pocket cam
(instead of an FZ20) it would have been the A95.
December 10, 2004 4:56:31 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. Getting the a95 for her since everyone has had
positive comments.

Bob S.

"richard schumacher" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
> In article <isednTDaDYi2ByrcRVn-pw@golden.net>, Bill <bill@c.a> wrote:
>
> > BobS wrote:
> >
> > > It sounds like a winner
> > >from people that have hands-on experience and not just market hype.
> >
> > A friend has a one, and it works as good as my recently acquire 3mp
> > version, the A75. I bought it for basic social events (parties and such)
> > so I wouldn't have to carry my big SLR with me. It takes great pictures,
> > and the A95 performs just as well, but with more resolution.
> >
> > If I didn't have an SLR, and I had only one digicam to pick, the A95
> > would certainly be on the short list. :)
>
> After looking around some little bit, if I had bought a pocket cam
> (instead of an FZ20) it would have been the A95.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 11:24:52 PM

The price of A95 is about $380!!! Quite high!
!