Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Will 1155 motherboards ever run SLI/Crossfire at x16

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
January 12, 2011 1:00:19 PM

I've noticed that all of the launch motherboards for the 1155 socket run SLI & Crossfire at x8, Will motherboard manufacturers put extra chipsets in here so they can run at full x16 SLI/Crossfire?
a c 715 V Motherboard
January 12, 2011 1:23:23 PM

In a word, no.
Extra Chipset P67's
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme 4 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single @x16, dual @x8, triple @x8, x16, x16 ) http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=AoHE7iDJrYucOm0n&...
EVGA P67 Classified (electrical x16/x8;x1;x16/x8;x8;x16/x8;x8) http://www.evga.com/articles/00604/ ; http://www.techpowerup.com/136583/EVGA-P67-Classified-M...

So unless you are running Multiple HD Monitors or a Large Single 2560 x 1600 the saturation won't be a problem in x8/x8. Otherwise, you'll need to wait for the X68 Q3 2011 - what I'm doing...
January 12, 2011 1:29:04 PM

Yeah, I was looking at getting a Maximus IV Extreme. Wanted to make sure it wasn't going to become obsolete. I'm running dual 1920x1080's, but only one is used for gaming, think I'll be okay?
Related resources
a c 715 V Motherboard
January 12, 2011 2:11:33 PM

A single monitor won't saturate an x8/x8 in CF or SLI, so 'today' you're fine. The problems currently with the nVidia 'add-on' chipset has both a tiny latency issue and unfortunately some stability issues which seem to be driver related in 3-WAY. My assumption is that problem will be short lived.
January 25, 2011 6:24:39 AM

jaquith said:
In a word, no.
Extra Chipset P67's
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme 4 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single @x16, dual @x8, triple @x8, x16, x16 ) http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=AoHE7iDJrYucOm0n&...
EVGA P67 Classified (electrical x16/x8;x1;x16/x8;x8;x16/x8;x8) http://www.evga.com/articles/00604/ ; http://www.techpowerup.com/136583/EVGA-P67-Classified-M...

So unless you are running Multiple HD Monitors or a Large Single 2560 x 1600 the saturation won't be a problem in x8/x8. Otherwise, you'll need to wait for the X68 Q3 2011 - what I'm doing...


My Gigabyte P67A-UD7 does SLI x16/x16. It us 1155 chip set. So, in a word, yes.

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2011 7:14:59 AM
Share
January 25, 2011 9:41:58 AM

Best answer selected by teh_tourist.
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2011 1:47:50 PM

It has four x16 slots. The first two run at x16-x16 unless the 3rd and 4th slots are used. Then, and only then, do they go down to x8.
a c 715 V Motherboard
January 25, 2011 4:14:15 PM

^I wish it were x16/x16, but the NF200 used in a few MOBOs {GA-P67A-UD7, Maximus IV Extreme, P8P67 WS Revolution, P67 Classified, etc} adds an additional 16 Lanes + 16 Lanes per the 'P67' or 32 lanes total {x16, x8/x8, x8/x8/x8, or x8/x8/x8/x8}, and the 'switch' access the P67's other 16 lanes.

Granted either PCIEX16_1 or PCIEX16_2 are INDIVIDUALLY x16, but once split a/k/a CF/SLI become x8/x8, and the PCIEX8_1 or PCIEX8_2 are x8. GA is VERY deliberately vague about explaining the lanes and how they are split.
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2011 5:21:10 PM

Sorry, but I don't see anything vague here. There are a total of seven expansion slots. All seven are outlined specifically.
1. 2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (PCIEX16_1, PCIEX16_2)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16_1 slot; if you are installing two PCI Express graphics cards, it is recommended that you install them in the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots.
2. 2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x8 (PCIEX8_1, PCIEX8_2)
* The PCIEX8_1 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16_1 slot and the PCIEX8_2 slot with PCIEX16_2. The PCIEX16_1/PCIEX16_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode when the PCIEX8_1/PCIEX8_2 is populated.
3. 1 x PCI Express x1 slot
(All PCI Express slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
4. 2 x PCI slots
a c 715 V Motherboard
January 25, 2011 5:29:39 PM

Read it this way:
1. 2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (BANANNA_1, BANANNA_2)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the BANANNA_1 slot; if you are installing two PCI Express graphics cards, it is recommended that you install them in the BANANNA_1 and BANANNA_2 slots.
2. 2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x8 (STRAWBERRY_1, STRAWBERRY_2)
* The STRAWBERRY_1 slot shares bandwidth with the BANANNA_1 slot and the STRAWBERRY_2 slot with BANANNA_2. The BANANNA_1/BANANNA_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode when the STRAWBERRY_1/STRAWBERRY_2 is populated.
3. 1 x PCI Express x1 slot
(All PCI Express slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
4. 2 x PCI slots

There's nothing stating x16/x16.
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2011 5:49:47 PM

If there are no strawberrys than the bananas are both at x16, line 1 states 2 running at x16.
April 8, 2011 3:01:36 AM

jockey said:
If there are no strawberrys than the bananas are both at x16, line 1 states 2 running at x16.


Exactly. And anyone with this board (Chanie, chime in since you said you have this board) can run CPU-Z or GPU-Z and it'll state whether it's x16 or x8 for either of the cards. I'm looking for a 1155 motherboard and it seems that the only P67 that fits this bill is the Gigabyte P67A-UD7. If I can hold out another month, I want to see if the Z68's have x16/x16.
April 8, 2011 6:33:03 AM

bishoplord said:
Exactly. And anyone with this board (Chanie, chime in since you said you have this board) can run CPU-Z or GPU-Z and it'll state whether it's x16 or x8 for either of the cards. I'm looking for a 1155 motherboard and it seems that the only P67 that fits this bill is the Gigabyte P67A-UD7. If I can hold out another month, I want to see if the Z68's have x16/x16.



Chanie
April 9, 2011 4:09:17 PM



Wait a sec. You have SLI disabled. I thought there was something fishy when you had a GTX 465 and a GTX 240. From my understanding, SLI only works with same chipsets (i.e. GTX465 & GTX465). They don't have to be the same brand, but the ram needs to be the same. Having two cards at x16 isn't the same as having x16/x16 SLI. I imagine you have the GT 240 set for PhysX only?

Source, http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html#c16
Quote:
Can I mix and match graphics cards that have different GPUs?
No. For example, an XXXGT cannot be paired with a XXXGTX in an SLI configuration.

Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?
No. For example, an XXXGT 512MB cannot be paired with a XXXGT 1GB in an SLI configuration.
April 10, 2011 3:22:45 AM

bishoplord said:
Wait a sec. You have SLI disabled. I thought there was something fishy when you had a GTX 465 and a GTX 240. From my understanding, SLI only works with same chipsets (i.e. GTX465 & GTX465). They don't have to be the same brand, but the ram needs to be the same. Having two cards at x16 isn't the same as having x16/x16 SLI. I imagine you have the GT 240 set for PhysX only?

Source, http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html#c16
Quote:
Can I mix and match graphics cards that have different GPUs?
No. For example, an XXXGT cannot be paired with a XXXGTX in an SLI configuration.

Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?
No. For example, an XXXGT 512MB cannot be paired with a XXXGT 1GB in an SLI configuration.


Nothing fishy. I have had two 8800gtx in sli on this motherboard... still ran at x16/x16. Thing is this non sli set up of a GTX465 with the gtx240 for physx is faster by far than the pair of 8800gtx's in sli. Really don't want to take the time to switch out just to print the gpuz snaps to show you. Also, there are other sources in this thread that show it does indeed run x16/x16 sli or not.
April 10, 2011 3:48:58 AM

Chanie said:
Nothing fishy. I have had two 8800gtx in sli on this motherboard... still ran at x16/x16. Thing is this non sli set up of a GTX465 with the gtx240 for physx is faster by far than the pair of 8800gtx's in sli. Really don't want to take the time to switch out just to print the gpuz snaps to show you. Also, there are other sources in this thread that show it does indeed run x16/x16 sli or not.

Sorry, Fishy was a poor choice of words. After researching and going back and forth in regards to which MB I want to buy, I looked at your post again and seen that you couldn't possibly be running SLI with those two cards. But if you had two 8800's working x16/x16, then that explains it to me. Thanks for clarifying.
April 26, 2011 5:12:44 AM

I own an Asus P8P67 WS Revolution that has an extra nVidia nf200 chip that adds the bandwidth so I can sli my two GTX 590s together. I know it really is x16/x16 because my control panel says it AND I have been getting almost double the FPS in HAWX 2 versus the P8P67 Pro that I just took back to the store cause it only did x8/x8 and the GTX 590 will absolutlely use that bandwidth. The only problem you'll face is that the P8P67 WS revolution is expensive >$340 and is relatively hard to find. Got mine from xcaliberpc.com
April 27, 2011 4:01:01 AM

The Gigabyte P67A-UD7 also has the nf200 chip with additional lanes allowing SLI x16/x16 as long as slots 3 and 4 are not occupied.
August 29, 2012 11:00:44 PM

jaquith said:
Read it this way:
1. 2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (BANANNA_1, BANANNA_2)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the BANANNA_1 slot; if you are installing two PCI Express graphics cards, it is recommended that you install them in the BANANNA_1 and BANANNA_2 slots.
2. 2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x8 (STRAWBERRY_1, STRAWBERRY_2)
* The STRAWBERRY_1 slot shares bandwidth with the BANANNA_1 slot and the STRAWBERRY_2 slot with BANANNA_2. The BANANNA_1/BANANNA_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode when the STRAWBERRY_1/STRAWBERRY_2 is populated.
3. 1 x PCI Express x1 slot
(All PCI Express slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
4. 2 x PCI slots

There's nothing stating x16/x16.

Are you still recovering from your anal tear?
!