Using 2 Hard Drives for 1 Computer. Need Help

Zhaithe

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Hey guys, so I have 2 hard drives on my computer at the moment. 1 with the operating system installed on it, and another one (that I purchased later) with my games/movies/music. I'm planning to switch out my mobo and CPU and I was wondering if It would be possible to only reformat my first hard drive for a new operating system and just plug in my 2nd one with my games installed.

Windows XP Professional SP3 32bit
Pentium (R) D CPU 2.80GHz

To

Windows 7
AMD Phenom II x4 965 Quad-Core Black Edition 3.4GHz

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Solution
Your games will not run under the new OS unless reinstalled. (with the exception of steam games and similar where it is just steam that has to be reinstalled)

Zhaithe

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. I have another question though: I wouldn't have to re-download all of my existing files (movies and music), would I? Well with the exception of the games I mean.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Just to say this just because, you could also just copy and paste the game files. By coping the whole folder where the game is located, and pasting it in the new location, you have your game plus all your saved data for it.

I do this all the time, as I do not have a very fast internet connection to re download every game multiple times.