Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Install crashes

Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2010 4:48:24 PM

Hi guys,

I am looking for some advice about a new HTPC I have just build. When I try to install Windows 7 the install takes a while then gets to "expanding files" and crashes at 0%.

I have tried a different DVD drive, different SATA cables, and different Windows 7 discs but the same happens.

I have also tried to install XP but I get a blue screen when the drivers have loaded. The spec of my machine is below - any other ideas?

1tb Drive Western Digital Green 1.5tb WD-EARS
LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Reader and DVDRW Drive
AMD Dual Core Althlon II X2 250 3.0GHz 2MB Socket AM3
Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H Socket AM3 Micro-ATX Motherboard AMD 785G 4xDDR3 2xPCI/1xPCIe-X
2GB kit (1GBx2), 240-pin DIMM CRUCIAL MEMORY

a b B Homebuilt system
a b $ Windows 7
April 29, 2010 10:52:30 PM

I would try the install with a single stick of RAM installed. You should also manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to the correct values in the BIOS. How long do you wait for the system to finish the "expanding files" part of the install? I've seen a lot of people claiming that Windows 7 was "freezing" during the installation. A lot of times the only problem was that they weren't waiting long enough. There are certainly times during the installation where it appears nothing is happening.
April 30, 2010 12:55:07 AM

Crashes at 0%? Did you get a BSOD? or it is just too long?
Related resources
April 30, 2010 10:46:48 AM

Basically I get an error about the set up not being able to find the required files. Also forgot to mention that I have tried to install with a single DIMM of RAM and I get the same result.

I have just installed XP on the machine and it took 4 hours to format the drive (1.5tb) - is this normal for a drive that size or could it point to a hard drive issue?
April 30, 2010 12:40:25 PM

Check your ram CL ratio. It might sound silly but with the same mobo and processor i couldn't install anything cause my loose timings. I got 5-5-5-15 and it didn't work properly. Switched to 4-4-4-12 and all was ok.
April 30, 2010 4:10:30 PM

Thanks,

I have had look in the bios and I dont see any settings for this - do you know what this would be under?
May 3, 2010 3:59:50 PM

I have been able to get Windows 7 installed. I disable loads of options in the bios - (USB keyboard support etc) and it seems to have installed. Thanks
!