Sign in with
Your question

Which monitor ??

Last response: in Systems
April 29, 2010 5:39:58 PM

Due to an unexpected event i will be buying a new monitor and I need your help to make my decision.My budget is around 200€ in this page (http://www.pccomponentes.com/MONITORES.html)

I was thinking on 24" but if smaller sizes are recommended for gaming say so ( for example, maybe with a smaller screen you can see all the screen at once, or maybe 24" hurts more your eyes if you look at it a lot of hours, etc xD) The games will range from RTS to FPS, even some MMO. The rest of the system will be this one:

-AMD Phenom II 955 X4 Quad Core 3.2Ghz Black Ed. 125W AM3 Box
-Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Socket AM3
-Mushkin BlackLine 10666 DDR3 1333 4GB 2x2GB CL7
-Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB SATA2 32MB MAESTRO
-Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 Cool (no difference in price or stats between the cool version and the normal one, just appearance as far as i know so dont know which one to choose ...)
-Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE OEM (doubting if removing it and just having the onboard one)
-Nox Apex 800 W

Thanks in advance

More about : monitor

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
April 29, 2010 6:00:09 PM

The only thing that really matters for gaming is that you get a high resolution. 1920x1080 is perfect for your build. Generally, you can't get that in monitors under 21-22". The next thing to check is the response time. Generally, 2 ms is preferred.

And some notes on the build. In generall it looks ok, but I would ditch the sound card to start with. Onboard sound is very good these days, so I would see if you can tell a quality difference before ordering a sound card.

The only thing that HAS to change is that PSU. It's a piece of crap. Grab a 750W model from any of the following companies: Antec, Corsair, Silverstone or SeaSonic.
Related resources
April 29, 2010 6:30:09 PM

goatsword said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Pretty good deal, good quality etc.

Im doubting between that one (http://www.pccomponentes.com/ASUS_VW246H_24__DVI_HDMI_M...) or (http://www.pccomponentes.com/BENQ_V2410_ECO_LED_24__HDM...) The Asus one has 2ms compared to the 5ms from BenQ and afaik contrast is one of the most important things but i dont know how to compare them because the Asus one instead of DCR(Dynamic Contrast Ratio) uses ASCR(Asus Smart Contrast Ratio).

""**The only thing that HAS to change is that PSU. It's a piece of crap.Grab a 750W model from any of the following companies: Antec, Corsair, Silverstone or SeaSonic.**"" Every1 says me that lol, but the thing is with those companies, the price almost doubles. Any ideas how to solve that problem?

Ty in advance

April 29, 2010 6:42:51 PM

Benq is very good at what they do, and probably better than Asus at monitors. I would probably go with the Benq, based on quality.

PSU's are something you cant skimp on. I don't know how much that Apex you are looking at is, but you'd be better off with a good 750W as MadAdmiral pointed out. Corsair and Antec do a lot of combo deals so shop around. To save cash, switch to a 790 chipset (790XTA-UD4 is an option) and yeah, dump that sound card.
a b C Monitor
April 29, 2010 6:52:30 PM

The doubling of the price is the cost of getting something that is quality.

^+1 to the 790 chipset. The 8xx chipsets only really give you the ability to drop in a six core CPU without a BIOS update, which isn't a big deal.

Another way to save money (assuming this is a strictly gaming build) is to switch the CPU to a X3 440. You won't lose performance, but will get a CPU at about half the price.
April 29, 2010 7:18:26 PM

790XTA-UD4 is just 6 € cheaper than the one im getting, so no need there. Soundcard is definitely off.

About changing the CPU to a X3 440 for half the price im definitely interested in that. Originally its just for gaming, but in what things would i loose performance if I change?
a b C Monitor
April 29, 2010 7:26:01 PM

Mainly productivity applications (Photoshop, encoding, CAD software).
April 29, 2010 9:32:48 PM

Im currently studying "informatic/computing grade" (that sounds wrong, but dont know hows the career called in english :S ) So I think ill need to do some works with it, specially because im very interested in the visual tree like 3d etc.
April 29, 2010 10:00:07 PM

Yes, spain (canary islands) to be exact ^^
April 30, 2010 5:56:59 AM

WARNING!!! DO NOT SKIMP on the POWER SUPPLY!!!!
This is the MAJOR MISTAKE MANY People MAKE when Building a Computer... They will get a Lot of REALLY GOOD Components & SKIMP on the POWER SUPPLY!!!
BAD MOVE!!! The REASON WHY the Antec, Corsair, Silverstone... are MORE Expensive is Because they USE QUALITY Parts, are BUILT To LAST, and Protect Your Other Components Better...
Do yourself a HUGE FAVOR & Buy a GOOD NAME BRAND Power Supply so WE won't have to Hear You Posting About how that CHEAP Power Supply Blew OUT & Took Your Motherboard, RAM, CPU, Graphics Card... to the Death Bin with it.
May 2, 2010 11:49:13 PM

BUMP
a b C Monitor
May 3, 2010 12:21:02 AM

Corsair and Antec are similar, and personally I would go with whatever fits in your budget. I would go with the Antec 850W just because it gives you more headroom incase you get something thats even more powerhungry.
!