X58B-A2 RAM problem

JohnSmith89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I recently purchased 6x4 to replace my 6x2, which until then was working fine. However, I've had varied results, ranging from the computer seeing 16GB, to 8GB with all 6 sticks in, to 4GB with 5 sticks in, to all 12 with either triplet installed in slots 1/3/5. What exactly is going on here? I can see all six sticks in CPU-Z.

JohnSmith89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Just got it to see 20 with 5 sticks installed, but putting the last stick back in dropped it back. My first thought was some sort of mechanical instability in the RAM slots, but firmly manipulating the sticks didn't change the amount when I didn't pull or put in sticks.

EDIT: After further manipulation, finally got it to see all 24. Something is clearly wrong though, and I'd like to know what. I'm not sure if it'll last through a restart or physical motion of the computer.

jemm

Distinguished
If I am not mistaken, the X58B-A2 accepts only memories from Kingston when you populate all the memories channels. There might be a problem if you use 1600MHz in all the channels. What are the memories you have there?

TRENDING THREADS