Pentium D bottlenecking GT240?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Pentium
  • Bottleneck
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
April 2, 2010 2:49:07 PM

A friend of mine recently replaced his NVidia 7100GS with a GT240. How badly is his Pentium D (3.0GHz) holding back his GT240? He can't bring his GT to my place since it was a "quiet" acquisition which he doesn't want his mom to find out. He says Crysis is totally unplayable if he sets the Physics/Perticles to "high"/"gamer". He is also getting poor framerates in COD5.

His res- 1280*720, no AA, 16x AF.
Oh, and six of the pins on the CPU socket are busted.

More about : pentium bottlenecking gt240

a c 212 Î Nvidia
April 2, 2010 11:54:22 PM

Pentium D and a GT240 are not a bad match I would not recommend any higher card for that CPU. GT240 performs close to 9600GT so there is most likely a slight bottleneck. He should reduce eye candy when playing Crysis it is optimistic to even try it on with a GT240
Cant say much about the busted pins.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 3, 2010 12:03:44 AM

He should reduce the physics and particle effects to a low setting, they are entirely CPU based calculations and will exaggerate the bottleneck, he should be able to play on medium graphics settings, he just needs to make sure not to enable items that put a heavy load on the CPU like particle effects.
m
l
Related resources
April 3, 2010 12:43:04 AM

At lower resolutions, CPU's have more impact on performance. At higher resolutions, the GPU does. Here, at a lower resolution, the CPU is going to limit his performance no matter what video card is installed.

6 broken pins on the socket definitely isn't helping matters. It might be time to put this old dog to sleep.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 3, 2010 1:28:48 AM

Here is my first question is this a 8xx or a 9xx pentium D? Second is how much ram?
m
l
April 3, 2010 3:09:53 PM

nforce4max said:
Here is my first question is this a 8xx or a 9xx pentium D? Second is how much ram?

Its a Pressler. Dont know the nmber.
Hes running 3 gigs of RAM. He gets ~15-30 FPS with Shader, Motion Blur, Post Processing and Object Detail at Enthusiast, all else at gamer, with Particles and Physics at Minimum. Warhead mind you, not Crysis.
What makes me think about bottlenecks is the fact that his GPU never crosses 60 degrees under load, no matter what he throws at it. My 4870 on the other hand, ramps up to the low 80's under load. Also, in Batman and Assassins Creed he gets slow downs when there are enemies on the map. Mirror's Edge too.
m
l
a c 212 Î Nvidia
April 3, 2010 3:18:55 PM

His CPU is holding him back.
m
l
April 3, 2010 4:28:12 PM

rolli59 said:
His CPU is holding him back.

Especially at that low resolution, like I mentioned earlier.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 3, 2010 4:39:03 PM

Well the best solution is a new cpu and if the board is unable to use newer core2 duo's and low end derivatives then get a new board as well. Every thing else is just a band aid solution.
m
l
April 3, 2010 5:53:54 PM

nforce4max said:
Well the best solution is a new cpu and if the board is unable to use newer core2 duo's and low end derivatives then get a new board as well. Every thing else is just a band aid solution.

ATM he's saving up for a C2Q Q8400 and a P43. Will that get him a decent framerate boost?
m
l
April 3, 2010 6:54:48 PM

It probably would, but so would dropping an inexpensive Core2Duo like an E5400 (or better) CPU in there. Of course, that only applies if his motherboard can support such CPUs.

I wouldn't spend money on a new socket-775 build like the one you mentioned. I think that money would be better saved towards a move to a fresh i5 or i7 build.
m
l
April 4, 2010 9:16:28 AM

RazberyBandit said:
It probably would, but so would dropping an inexpensive Core2Duo like an E5400 (or better) CPU in there. Of course, that only applies if his motherboard can support such CPUs.

I wouldn't spend money on a new socket-775 build like the one you mentioned. I think that money would be better saved towards a move to a fresh i5 or i7 build.

He doesnt have enough cash for that.
m
l
April 4, 2010 9:34:29 AM

You said he's saving for a C2Quad and a new mobo, but he can't afford a CPU that costs 1/3 the price of the Quad?
m
l
April 4, 2010 1:47:30 PM

RazberyBandit said:
You said he's saving for a C2Quad and a new mobo, but he can't afford a CPU that costs 1/3 the price of the Quad?

I meant the i5's and i7's. He also does a lot of vid encoding hence the C2Q.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 4, 2010 2:56:55 PM

So do I but I have manged to get by on a meager 3800x2 that I landed for $15.50 used. As for my e7200 that cheaptel used poor quality compound under the IHS that I had to pull does the job very well.
m
l
April 4, 2010 4:52:52 PM

OK. My point's still valid.

That C2Q is almost the same price as an i5-750, and P43 motherboards are only a few dollars cheaper than H55 and P55 motherboards. There's a combined difference of maybe $40 or so, plus the cost of DDR3.

If he's got a MicroCenter near where he lives, a move to an i7-920/930 and X58 system would add another $100 or so on top of that. ($200 if he's stuck buying the CPU online.)

Neither amount seems to be an unreasonable additional amount for which to save.
m
l
April 4, 2010 5:12:28 PM

RazberyBandit said:
OK. My point's still valid.

That C2Q is almost the same price as an i5-750, and P43 motherboards are only a few dollars cheaper than H55 and P55 motherboards. There's a combined difference of maybe $40 or so, plus the cost of DDR3.

If he's got a MicroCenter near where he lives, a move to an i7-920/930 and X58 system would add another $100 or so on top of that. ($200 if he's stuck buying the CPU online.)

Neither amount seems to be an unreasonable additional amount for which to save.

You are forgetting -
a) Shops price newer Intel parts more. Want proof? An X58+i7 bundle costs USD 700.
b) RAM. He cant get more DDR3 stuff
c) Older parts end up prices lower. A 4870 is ~USD 180. A 5770 is almost USD 270.
m
l
April 4, 2010 5:14:25 PM

That's why I specifically mentioned MicroCenter - they sell i7's cheap. Online, 5770's are $160 USD. I don't know where you're getting that $270 price... Not even Best Buy is ripping people off that much for them.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 4, 2010 5:21:38 PM

Lol people I can get better prices at Goodwill and they are still over priced, I shop on eBay and my e7200 only cost me $68 used after selling off my e6400. My 780i that was just pure luck $38.70!
m
l
April 5, 2010 11:09:19 AM

Ahh...there ARE no micro centres or goddwill stores (whatever they are) in India. A frind's 9800GT cost his USD 190. Why? NVidia logo. My AMD ATII cost me USD 155. Why? Import tax.
I mentioned Indian street prices, not online. No online store except EBay India ships here. On EBay India, a 4890 is a shade under USD 300.
m
l
April 6, 2010 12:15:57 AM

Goodwill is a chartible orginzation.

People donate stuff, and Goodwill then sells the old, flee, bitten crap to poor people (me).

The money made is then donated back to other poor people.
m
l
April 6, 2010 4:45:11 AM

Well hopefully you can find some other members from India to help guide you. I'm afraid the US market seems to be much different than yours, so it's tough to make recommendations from a price vs performance standpoint.
m
l
April 6, 2010 5:02:48 PM

RazberyBandit said:
Well hopefully you can find some other members from India to help guide you. I'm afraid the US market seems to be much different than yours, so it's tough to make recommendations from a price vs performance standpoint.

US market= Brand new Ferrari.
Indian market=Flea bitten cow
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 6, 2010 8:15:23 PM

madass said:
US market= Brand new Ferrari.
Indian market=Flea bitten cow

You pretty close though but with the way thing are going both will be flea bitten cow plus when globalization breaks down to the economic crisis that is playing out production will grind to a halt. India may be in the position to gain from this if nothing else goes wrong if it could develop it's industries better to ware it doesn't need finished goods imports however raw goods such as food stuffs to iron ore are something to be cautious of. If the world loses north American grain exports the world will find the dinner plate much lighter than it used to be but if it loses both north and south American food exports due to war/economic/ social/political collapse bad times are ahead. We already got an outbreak of a fungus that destroys wheat crops then we in some states are expecting a once in a 30 year grasshopper infestation along with bad weather is going to make food prices at home and globally soar.

Life is sh^t in India now but it wont be to long that you will be thinking to your self "at least I am not there" or "better them than me".
m
l
April 9, 2010 12:47:28 PM

nforce4max said:
You pretty close though but with the way thing are going both will be flea bitten cow plus when globalization breaks down to the economic crisis that is playing out production will grind to a halt. India may be in the position to gain from this if nothing else goes wrong if it could develop it's industries better to ware it doesn't need finished goods imports however raw goods such as food stuffs to iron ore are something to be cautious of. If the world loses north American grain exports the world will find the dinner plate much lighter than it used to be but if it loses both north and south American food exports due to war/economic/ social/political collapse bad times are ahead. We already got an outbreak of a fungus that destroys wheat crops then we in some states are expecting a once in a 30 year grasshopper infestation along with bad weather is going to make food prices at home and globally soar.

Life is sh^t in India now but it wont be to long that you will be thinking to your self "at least I am not there" or "better them than me".

You an economics student or something?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 9, 2010 1:04:55 PM

madass said:
You an economics student or something?

You can say that it is one thing I do to keep my self occupied being jobless. The only thing I got is the government tit aka students loans that I'll be forced to payback at 6.2% interest.
m
l