Closed

Batteries for Digital Camera

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 7, 2004 11:12:15 PM

Hi. I recently bought a Vivitar 4 MP Vivicam 3815 Digital Camera. I've
used alkeline and found that I had to replace the batteries every
couple of days. So I switched to a rechargeable generic brand NiMh, but
the battery life is still short. Is it because of the brand? Should I
switch to a better known brand like energizer or duracell? Do brand
name batteries even matter? Thanks so much!
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 3:21:05 AM

One possibility is that your camera is not completely shutting off when you
turn it off. All cameras draw a *tiny* amount of electricity from the
batteries when turned off, to keep the clock/calendar running and to retain
settings. Yours may have an electrical leak (in a semiconductor) that is
making it draw more than it's supposed to. If you can verify that it drains
batteries while turned off, you should return it under warranty. If you
have a milliammeter, you can probably even test it.
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 7:23:03 AM

> Hi. I recently bought a Vivitar 4 MP Vivicam 3815 Digital Camera. I've
> used alkeline and found that I had to replace the batteries every
> couple of days. So I switched to a rechargeable generic brand NiMh, but
> the battery life is still short. Is it because of the brand? Should I
> switch to a better known brand like energizer or duracell? Do brand
> name batteries even matter? Thanks so much!

What's the capacity of the NiMH batteries you're using? Obviously,
higher-capacity batteries will last longer than those with lower capacity.
These days, high-capacity NiMH batteries are so inexpensive that there's
really no excuse for not getting them; I've heard that even WalMart is
selling 2500mah Eveready 4 packs for just over $10.

As for quality differences between brands, there's not much reason to skimp
there either. As mentioned the Evereadys aren't very expensive, and other
high-quality brands would include Maha, Sanyo & Kodak.

But it's possible an even bigger difference might be found in chargers than
the batteries themselves. At the high end, the Maha chargers are great, but
other name-brand units are probably fine.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
Related resources
December 8, 2004 10:00:10 AM

If you constantly use the LCD screen you will run the batteries down a
lot faster then if you compose and shoot your pictures throught the
view finder.

Art
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 3:12:23 PM

On 7 Dec 2004 20:12:15 -0800, "Jen" <Pinkgurl3533@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi. I recently bought a Vivitar 4 MP Vivicam 3815 Digital Camera. I've
>used alkeline and found that I had to replace the batteries every
>couple of days. So I switched to a rechargeable generic brand NiMh, but
>the battery life is still short. Is it because of the brand? Should I
>switch to a better known brand like energizer or duracell? Do brand
>name batteries even matter? Thanks so much!

The Vivtar is known to be a very power-hungry camera, so your only
real solution is to buy several sets of NiNH batteries and always
carry spares. If you want a non-rechargeable solution, Energizer
Lithium Technology batteries should give you about 5x the life of
alkalines.

Cliff Smith
www.cliffsmith.co.uk
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 6:12:12 PM

On 7 Dec 2004 20:12:15 -0800
"Jen" <Pinkgurl3533@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi. I recently bought a Vivitar 4 MP Vivicam 3815 Digital
> Camera. I've used alkeline and found that I had to replace the
> batteries every couple of days. So I switched to a
> rechargeable generic brand NiMh, but the battery life is still
> short. Is it because of the brand? Should I switch to a better
> known brand like energizer or duracell? Do brand name
> batteries even matter? Thanks so much!

Another thing to remember is that NiMHs take a few cycles to
reach full capacity. The 2200mAh ones I've got in my camera
have had 4 or 5 cycles now, and are showing noticably longer
life than when they were new.

-Chris D
December 8, 2004 6:22:30 PM

"Jen" <Pinkgurl3533@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>Should I
> switch to a better known brand like energizer or duracell? Do brand
> name batteries even matter? Thanks so much!

1: Buy high capacity NiMH batteries. Not all rechargeable batteries hold
the same amount of current.

2: Learn to switch off the LCD screen except when you actually need to view
it. The LCD screen drains batteries fast when it is left on.

3: Learn to switch the camera off if you don't anticipate shooting again
within the next couple of minutes. This is a bit of a balancing act,
because often the power-down function retracts the lens and that, too can
consume power if done too often.

4: If you do not require auto flash mode, set the flash to always off. You
can activate it when you actually need it. That will save wasting battery
power charging the flash when it is unnecessary.

5: Always carry a spare set of fully charged batteries. I bought a
Samsonite case at Wal-Mart that nicely holds my camera, plus has a pocket in
front for spare batteries and memory cards. Spare batteries are the one
essential accessory to always have on hand.
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 6:22:31 PM

Jeremy" Said:
1: Buy high capacity NiMH batteries. Not all rechargeable batteries
hold the same amount of current.

What he means by this is that AA size batteries while they may all be the
same physical size, can last longer or shorter depending on the current
rating.

Most Alkaline are the same current rating but NiMh can come in many
different current capacities. I have seen them as low as 800ma and as high
as 2300ma. Higher is better. In other words if you put some 2300ma batteries
in your camera they will last approx 3 times longer than the 800ma ones +/-
So take his advice and find some of the high current rated ones.

"Jeremy" <jeremy@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Jen" <Pinkgurl3533@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Should I
>> switch to a better known brand like energizer or duracell? Do brand
>> name batteries even matter? Thanks so much!
>>

> 1: Buy high capacity NiMH batteries. Not all rechargeable batteries hold
> the same amount of current.
>
> 2: Learn to switch off the LCD screen except when you actually need to
> view
> it. The LCD screen drains batteries fast when it is left on.
>
> 3: Learn to switch the camera off if you don't anticipate shooting again
> within the next couple of minutes. This is a bit of a balancing act,
> because often the power-down function retracts the lens and that, too can
> consume power if done too often.
>
> 4: If you do not require auto flash mode, set the flash to always off.
> You
> can activate it when you actually need it. That will save wasting battery
> power charging the flash when it is unnecessary.
>
> 5: Always carry a spare set of fully charged batteries. I bought a
> Samsonite case at Wal-Mart that nicely holds my camera, plus has a pocket
> in
> front for spare batteries and memory cards. Spare batteries are the one
> essential accessory to always have on hand.

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 6:22:32 PM

In article <41b73944$1_1@news.vic.com>,
"azscrewdriver" <sombody@nowhere.com> wrote:

> and as high
> as 2300ma

Ansmann has 2400 and 2500 mAh cells now.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Anonymous

I'm starting to wonder just how many of those higher current rated ones are
just marked higher?

I bought some 1200maH and 600mah Lithium batteries for my Canon S100 off
Ebay (new China)) to replace the 600mah original ones and neither seemed to
last as long than the original ones.

"Bob Salomon" <bob_salomon@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> In article <41b73944$1_1@news.vic.com>,
> "azscrewdriver" <sombody@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> and as high
>> as 2300ma
>
> Ansmann has 2400 and 2500 mAh cells now.
>
> --
> To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Anonymous
October 27, 2010 11:51:31 AM