Sign in with
Your question

Going from SLI to Single Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 2, 2010 4:21:13 PM

I am currently running two Nvidia 9500 GT in SLI mode and I want to upgrade to more modern cards or a single good quality card.

Will I have to do anything special with the motherboard if I only use one card? I purchased the computer with the SLI configuration and have zero experience in replacing computer parts.

For what it's worth, I use the computer to play World of Warcraft and plan on upgrading to the Nvidia 250.

Thanks in advance.

More about : sli single card

a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 2, 2010 4:28:30 PM

Rather, grab an HD5770. The 9500GT is not a gaming card, and SLI'ing them was quite pointless (no offense). An HD5770 will outperform your current setup, and the GTS250.
m
l
April 3, 2010 2:46:29 PM

shadow187 said:
Rather, grab an HD5770. The 9500GT is not a gaming card, and SLI'ing them was quite pointless (no offense). An HD5770 will outperform your current setup, and the GTS250.

The computer was purchased from Cyberpower, Inc. as configured and I was more interested in pricing than components. It wasn't until after I bought the computer that I realized that the 9500 card was pretty much useless and that SLI was really not much help with the kind of games that I play. On the other hand, my son is getting old enough that he might prefer the first-person shooters and other similar games that need a more powerful graphics solution.

Since my motherboard does not support Crossfire with ATI products, perhaps I would be better off saving up and purchasing one of the higher end single-card solutions, such as the 5850, which on most performance reviews is better than the 5770 in crossfire mode. At $310 it would be the same as two 5770's cost-wise.

Mark
m
l
!