rich2323

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
I just build a new Window 7 Media Center machine that I am using in my bedroom as my primary device to control watching and viewing TV, and other content. I am also ripping some movies, and also watching HULU and BOXEE on this device.

I would like to setup a small machine that can connect to my wireless network, and connect to my 50" plasma(HDMI) to stream any content that I have on my machine that is in the bedroom. Currently I am using a laptop to accomplish this and its working fine, but would like a more permanent solution without spending a bunch of money. (Also my laptop gets extremely hot when I use it for more than an hour.)

I have seen some of these ASUS Eee Box machines on NewEgg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220006 , and thought that may be a good fit? Would it? Can it handle streaming HD video? Will those Atom processors hold up? Is there any better solution?

If you had to purchase a small quiet windows 7 compatible machine that could play HD content on a 50" plasma wirelessly. What would you buy?

Thanks for your help.

Rich

Solution
I had originally thought of the Acer Aspire Revo, but don't think it does wireless N, like you have now.

I think as long as you have an atom with nvidia ion, you should be OK.

I looked at some of those Asus Eee boxes, and the ones with ion and Wireless N aren't too bad - a few hundred. They are sufficient to do HD playback and if you know the wireless N is good enough to stream, those seem like a good solution.

The Aopen ones all looked like they had the defaul Intel graphics - not great for HD playback, so I would go for the Asus
You'll likely run into problems trying to stream HD content over your wireless connection. Do you not have the option of using a wired network connection? I use an Xbox 360 Arcade as my Media Center extender and it works great. My HTPC runs 64-bit Windows 7 and streams HD content over a wired connection, so I can't say how it works with wireless. You certainly won't want anything less than Wireless N.

Microsoft Xbox 360 Arcade $199.99

You could then add a wireless adapter.

MADCATZ Wireless Gaming Adapter for Xbox 360 - White $59.99

rich2323

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

Shortstuff,

I am currently using a laptop with Wifi, and its steaming fine. I am confident that streaming with wifi is not an issue, (btw I am using wireless N) as the laptop does just fine. I am looking for a more permanent solution rather than spending a ton of money or using my laptop. Someone out there has to have a similar setup. I was avoiding the XBOX 360 approach because I do not want to be limited by file type and any other streaming restrictions. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Rich

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
You would probably be fine with a nettop of some sort. Something with ion would be capable of HD playback as well.

You could build something similar in a micro atx or mini itx motherboard and case if you are into building as well. Shouldn't set you back too far - there are some barebones kits with the intel atom, which I believe is plenty for what you are doing.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I had originally thought of the Acer Aspire Revo, but don't think it does wireless N, like you have now.

I think as long as you have an atom with nvidia ion, you should be OK.

I looked at some of those Asus Eee boxes, and the ones with ion and Wireless N aren't too bad - a few hundred. They are sufficient to do HD playback and if you know the wireless N is good enough to stream, those seem like a good solution.

The Aopen ones all looked like they had the defaul Intel graphics - not great for HD playback, so I would go for the Asus

Solution

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
My pleasure. Hope it works for you. I'm looking at a similar solution for a TV in my house - need a small one that has wireless and can stream to the HDTV - looks like these might fit the bill.

Have fun.