PC powers up and shuts down repeatedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

crosstan

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Hello, my PC would start and shut down (no POST) repeatedly. Sometimes i can get it started up, other times it will go into this repeated loop of powering up and shutting down. I will need to unplug it from the mains and leave it (sometimes for a day) before i can start it up again. What could be the problem?

Solution
Since you've had the pc for 4 years, check the power supply first. You'll have to find or get another to test you system, but typically random reboots and issues starting up and immediately shutting down can definitely be psu gone bad. The do loose efficency over time.

Faulty motherboard, corrupted BIOS, or a faulty CPU can cause these problems. If it successfully starts and runs at any time, I'd suspect the motherboard being faulty and RMA the motherboard for a new one.

By the way, this isn't an ASUS X48 motherboard that is having these problems, is it?

crosstan

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010

Hi,
thanks for the advice. No, its a Gigabyte. I've been using it for coming to 4 yrs. Guess its reached its useful life. Time for upgrade I guess.

Orac

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
Since you've had the pc for 4 years, check the power supply first. You'll have to find or get another to test you system, but typically random reboots and issues starting up and immediately shutting down can definitely be psu gone bad. The do loose efficency over time.

Solution

Okay, I thought it was new. I'd agree that a four-year-old board that is acting flaky will almost certainly need to be replaced. Just for grins, take a look at the aluminum electrolytic capacitors on the board and see if any are bulging or leaking.

crosstan

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Thanks to all who have offered their advice. I have yet to resolve the problem. However, I will be able to start the system by first unplugging the 12V ATX connector from the motherboard then powering up, then switch off and plug it back in. This has seemed to work quite consistently. Any further clue? Does this point to a MB problem or PSU problem?

crosstan

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Replaced the 550W Cooler Master PSU with a Seasonic 620W 80+ PSU. Everything is looking good now. Able to start up w/o any issue for now. Even the color of the desktop screen looks more vibrant. Maybe really a PSU issue. Thanks for all inputs and suggestions.

wigginsd88

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Another thing you may want to watch out for: Sometimes when RAM and ESPECIALLY Video RAM is starting to become damaged, these are symptoms that present themselves. If you have not tried it, you may consider trying to consult your manual to find the Exact hows of this, but try to remove sticks of RAM, ensuring that the MOBO is completely without power, one at a time and seeing how the boot-time reacts. This is also true with many parts on legacy MOBOs. If the POST speeds up then the problem part is usually found. If while your Board is booting use see strange names like CH3: WDCkjh!!!!! whereas you should see CH3: WDCj3200D, the problem part is whatever is attached to CH3:. Give it a try if you still have problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.