Boot failure for my 2nd hdd

Evolution0521

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Hello, i am currently trying to format my vista hdd, it is the first hard drive i had on my pc, the problem is that im trying to get windows my seconds hdd to boot without the first hard drive.
Now i am wondering why is this happening? Is it due to my second hard drive not having the boot files for the windows 7 to boot it?
Every time i try to boot the seconds hard drive alone, i get Boot failure, yet it works if i have both plugged, in as it gives me the option on if you would like to boot in Windows 7 or Windows Vista.

Are your HDD's SATA or IDE?
If IDE, make sure (as much as I hate to suggest this) both HDD jumpers are set to AUTO. It may even be such that the boot drive has to be set as master and the non-boot drive set to slave but try auto first.
If SATA, ensure that the SATA cables are in the proper (according to your mobo manual) ports for dual boot operation.

Evolution0521

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
My vista one which is the one i want to reformat is in the sata 1, the one which has windows 7 which is the one i want to use as my primary partion is plugged into sata 3
while my DVD drive is plugged into my sata 2.

rdc85

Honorable
When u install w7 did u unplug your vista HDD and leave only one hdd connected?

if it not unpluged, hate to say but boot record/system is stored to your first drive (vista HDD), u will need recovery/reinstall win7 to make it bootable....