Sign in with
Your question

Windows Firewall

Last response: in Networking
February 18, 2010 3:15:13 PM

Hello,I have windows xp---sp3
IE8 using Mozilla firefox browser. My security is AVG and Avir. My windows fierwall keeps shutting off but is replaced by a firewall from my other security. What should I do?

More about : windows firewall

February 18, 2010 3:37:50 PM

Leave windows firewall off. It gets turned off by the other software firewall, which is correct thing to do. Having two software firewalls running at the same time is not good to do. Just like running two anti-virus programs at once is not good.
February 18, 2010 5:19:10 PM

If you want to use multiple malware solutions (and it makes sense to do so, sometimes one finds things missed by the other), make sure only ONE of them is an ACTIVE solution (i.e., scan files actively, in realtime, as they traverse the system). There's nothing wrong w/ using multiple malware products that are PASSIVE (i.e., you run them on a scheduled or on-demand basis). As sturm suggests, active malware solutions often interfere with each other and is unnecessary.

So pick ONE active solution and maybe one or two other PASSIVE solutions (e.g., malwarebytes).

Related resources
February 18, 2010 6:21:53 PM

Thanks for the answer, I will check into this
February 18, 2010 6:23:54 PM

sturm said:
Leave windows firewall off. It gets turned off by the other software firewall, which is correct thing to do. Having two software firewalls running at the same time is not good to do. Just like running two anti-virus programs at once is not good.

Thanks--I really dont know if they run at the same time, I will check into it
!