HD 4870 1GB

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • HD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 2, 2010 7:22:50 PM

Please help!!!!!

About a month ago i bought a Radeon HD 4870 1GB card. Well it worked fine, got the flickering screen but did not make that a problem. It worked with
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, Tomb Raider and a few other games. I recently installed the Metro 2033 and 5min with in the game it completely shuts down the computer. I went online for a solution to the problem and all solutions pointed to a bios up date, so i did. I registered the card and got a list of updates for the card, I selected the Windows XP OS and downloaded the BIOS update. Now i tried installing the update and it gave an error, (cant remember the message) but i tried again after it failed the first time. This time it freezed the system. I restarted and ever since as the computer starts it instantly shuts down. When i remove the card the computer starts normally. Could this process be reversed? Is the card completely spoiled? Man i live in Trinidad and i spent TT2,495 for this, thats alot, i cant aford for this to just stop working.

If you need my pc specs i will post..... Thanks in advance

More about : 4870 1gb

a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2010 7:56:02 PM

wait, you tried to update the GPU's bios and it failed, there really isn't anything you can do yourself (unless you know the keystrokes by hand for re flashing in dos)

you can try to send it back to the manufacturer to get it re flashed

btw, i have 2 of these and they worked fine fro Metro 2033

though did you upgrade from an nvidia card, if so and you didn;'t fully clean out the NV drivers, that could have cause a problem
April 2, 2010 8:03:58 PM

Yes i did make an upgrade and i did not remove the drivers of the old nvidia card, Man my bad! Thanks very much. I will have to send it back to store which i bought and hopefully they could help me.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2010 8:08:44 PM

vernonwhite said:
Yes i did make an upgrade and i did not remove the drivers of the old nvidia card, Man my bad! Thanks very much. I will have to send it back to store which i bought and hopefully they could help me.

well, if its still within the return period of the store you should be able to exchange it, and if not you could RMA back to the company (check the warranty first, you might not have one in your country)

as for getting rid of the old drivers, uninstall then and then boot into safe mode and use CCleaner to get rid of it in the registry
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2010 8:11:35 PM

If you have an IGP, then you can uninstall the nvidia drivers using that, and make sure you run driversweeper in safe mode to get it totally cleared out. You also might be able to boot using the IGP even with the GPU still installed and try flashing it while still running your display off the IGP.
April 2, 2010 8:13:32 PM

Well i think its a measly month they gave me and i might be 4 or 5 days over that, i will still try. I will remove the drivers using the CCleaner, one of my favorite programs.
a b U Graphics card
April 2, 2010 8:15:30 PM

Remove them using CCleaner, but you need to download Driver sweeper as well, and reboot your PC into safe-mode to run it to completely clean the drivers out.
April 6, 2010 5:10:10 PM

To everyone that helped (mindless728 and flyinfinni ) and to any-other that viewed i got the card exchanged this morning. i will take all advice and remove all old drivers. Do any of you have any good working bios updates for the card though and any-other advice?
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2010 5:14:45 PM

I would try just doing driver stuff and see if it runs properly before you think about any BIOS flashing attempts. Hopefully you won't have to worry about that (I've never had to do it myself actually).
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2010 6:35:44 PM

no prob.
a b U Graphics card
April 6, 2010 8:11:08 PM

Post your PC specs, especially your power supply information.

Also post a pic with HW monitor showing your voltages and temperatures during load.
!