Can recognize USB but does not show up in my computer

HopelessNoob

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Here's basically what I can do right now:

See the USB in disk management and format it from there
When I plug the USB in the safely remove icon in the bottom right pops up but it shows "..." for the USB
I plug the USB into other computers and they can see it in my computer (only this computer cannot see it in my computer)

What I did previously:

I made it a bootable chromium OS flash drive
Noticed that it was split into a billion partitions and used minitool partition wizard home edition to fix get it back to 1 partition after I finished playing with chromium OS

What I have tried:

Reformatting through disk management
Used other computers to format through my computer
Used minitool partition wizard home edition to try to format it again
Uninstalled the drivers on this computer including USB Roots in device manager
Rebooting

Nothing seems to fix the fact that I cannot get the flash drive to show up on this computer only in my computer. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Solution
I had the same problem and I solved it.. Go to computer management and see if your device is in the listed under the disk management in the upper part. If not then go to the lower part of it you'll find your device there.. Right click on it and choose change drive letter and paths.. and choose a path you don't have already e.g "H"..
If a message popped up for you giving an error for opening the "Change drive letter and paths" then you need to go to device manager in the control panel.. click the view menu and open and click show hidden devices.. storage volumes will appear then.. click it and you'll find:
Generic volume
Generic volume
Generic volume
Unknown volume
right click on the unknown volume and choose uninstall.. then right...

michaelec

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012
im having similar problems... after doing a HUGE 10 hour test with w.d. data lifeguard and writing 1's and 0's to a 1 tb hard drive... i then had to mark the drive as active and re format.... its recognised now. (id been using the hard drive in a dvr.. and id also managed to knock it onto the floor during another operation... this is what had upset it)

Ezreal

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
I had the same problem and I solved it.. Go to computer management and see if your device is in the listed under the disk management in the upper part. If not then go to the lower part of it you'll find your device there.. Right click on it and choose change drive letter and paths.. and choose a path you don't have already e.g "H"..
If a message popped up for you giving an error for opening the "Change drive letter and paths" then you need to go to device manager in the control panel.. click the view menu and open and click show hidden devices.. storage volumes will appear then.. click it and you'll find:
Generic volume
Generic volume
Generic volume
Unknown volume
right click on the unknown volume and choose uninstall.. then right click on storage volume and choose scan for hardware changes.. by then your device will be found but as Generic volume.. and you will be able to access it normally..
Hope that helped.. =)

Solution

Dan_t3h_man

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

Ezreal! Good man! That worked like a champ! Any idea why this happens? Besides just faulty W7 drivers :p

debzmille

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015

DAMN! IT WORKED! I know this seems old now but fck yeah! THANKS SO MUCH!