mc3 Kodak mp3/camera device - AV cable wiring connections?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 8, 2004 1:20:48 AM

Does anyone have a working AV cable for thier Kodak mc3 ??

The Kodak cable has three (3) RCA plugs (Red/White/Yellow) at one end
of the cable and one (1) 4-conductor 1/8" (3.5mm) phone plug at the
other end. Your cable may not be the one from Kodak (part number is
120 7653) just as long as you know it is working with your mc3.

I tried using non-Kodak cables with no luck. So, I am tryimg to make a
cable from plugs & wires and I need to know the proper (Kodak) cable
connections in order to do this.

I have already found a Vendor for a cable with four wires to a 3.5mm
plug.
I will connect the cable's four wires to RCA plugs when I know the
proper connections.

Of course, If I do this I will also post how to make up your own cable
here in this Google group.

To wire up my cable, I need to determine the connections between the
four "bands" (called the TIP, RING and SLEEVE 1 and 2) on the phone
plug and each of the three RCA plugs.
I discovered that the AV jack on the mc3 device supplies stereo audio
signals that are not affected by the mc3 volume controls (aka "Line
Out" impedance & fixed output voltage).
With this discovery, I've deduced that:
- One audio stereo channel is the TIP of the phone plug and it is wired
to the center pin of the WHITE (or RED RCA) Plug.
- The other audio stereo channel is the RING next to the TIP of the
phone plug and it is wired to the center pin of the RED (or WHITE) RCA
Plug.

I would like to check the remaining two bands of a Kodak cable that we
know is working properly to supply video and audio. These two bands
are:
- SLEEVE 1 (next to the RING band above).
- SLEEVE 2 (next to the SLEEVE 1 band above)
One of these is the Video channel and is wired to the center pin of the
YELLOW RCA Plug
The other is a common SHIELD/GROUND and is wired to all the outside
barrels of the three RCA plugs (Red/White/Yellow)

If you have a working cable, and can get a continuity checker/ohmmeter,
I would greatly appreciate hearing from you to find out which SLEEVES
go to which phone plug connection.
December 10, 2004 10:32:00 AM

No response from this Group - but I did find the answer - as
follows....

[Because I promised to post how to make up your own cable here in this
Google group.]

I kludged together some standard cables, plugs & jacks to find out how
the mc3 jack & AV cable are wired.
- TIP of the phone plug is wired to the center pin of the WHITE RCA
Plug.
- RING next to the TIP is wired to the center pin of the RED RCA Plug.
- SLEEVE 1 (next to the RING band above) is wired to the center pin of
the YELLOW RCA Plug.
- SLEEVE 2 (next to the SLEEVE 1 band above) is wired to all the
outside barrels of the three RCA plugs (Red/White/Yellow).

If you want to jury-rig a set-up from available plugs, jacks & AV
cables (from any number of sources - like Radio Shack).
Here's what you can use:
- Connect mc3 AV jack to a cable with one (1) 4-conductor 1/8" (3.5mm)
phone plug and three (3) RCA plugs (Red/White/Yellow).
- Connect TV/VCR AV jacks to a cable with three (3) RCA plugs
(Red/White/Yellow) at both ends.
- Make up a strip of at least six (6) RCA jacks and wire up these
jacks so the two cables are connected as follows:
- mc3 White to TV/VCR White
- mc3 Yellow to TV/VCR Red
- mc3 Red to all TV/VCR outside barrels
- all mc3 outside barrels to TV/VCR Yellow
Note: Be sure to keep the mc3 barrels isolated from the TV/VCR
barrels.
Note: Shielding is compromised so expect AC hum and video artifacts.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 7:06:15 PM

Hi Tom,

Glad you got things working correctly. Let me know if you have questions in
the future and I will try to help.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

!