Sign in with
Your question

Dead HDD

Last response: in Storage
June 11, 2012 9:09:38 AM

So my HDD died after 3 years of 12h per day usage. I was wondering what died in it if i cant make it eaven be seen in bios? can i retrieve data by putting those HDD discs in simular case that is spining or my thechinal parts are ok? Mby its just those brains that are dead.

I would apricciate good thread or good explenation :) 

More about : dead hdd

a b G Storage
June 11, 2012 9:32:43 AM

you can replace the circuit board on the hard drive--needs to be identical model number

this sometimes fixes it--have done it a few times successfully--other times it didnt fix it

if the mechanical parts have failed then forget it--you wont just take the platters out and stick them in another drive

and get it to work

ebay usually for the controller board--i get an identical hard drive including the model number on the pcb and swap

them over--usually just need a small screwdriver or torx driver
a b G Storage
June 11, 2012 9:33:45 AM

NO.
You can try using the PCB of a similar (By Similar I mean Same make and model) on the older HDD that failed. If you have any more HDDs from the same era you might be able to make it work.
Just interchange the PCBs if the fault lies in the electrical circuit it'll work with the other PCB, but, if the fault is mechanical or with the pickups on the inside of the HDD, then it will require a different approach altogether.
Related resources
June 11, 2012 9:42:24 AM

So i guess retrieving data should be left to professionals :)  altho that idea of buying new brain sound logical. Well ofcorse if it cost few bucks, otherwise its waste of money.
June 11, 2012 9:56:34 AM

alyoshka said:
NO.
You can try using the PCB of a similar (By Similar I mean Same make and model) on the older HDD that failed. If you have any more HDDs from the same era you might be able to make it work.
Just interchange the PCBs if the fault lies in the electrical circuit it'll work with the other PCB, but, if the fault is mechanical or with the pickups on the inside of the HDD, then it will require a different approach altogether.

Soo.... i looked into that PCB chainging thing... Most logical thing wold be to take that HDD to ''professional'' that does its job in some basement... becous i could only find that part for like 60$.. And where i live, retrieving data in geto basement would cost arox 100$... Soo yea... (i live in Lavita, here is lot of people that earn 200$ per month)
a b G Storage
June 11, 2012 9:56:38 AM

Don't even try changing out the PCBs, you need at the very least to get the EXACT same pcb (not an identical HDD, most times they switch up the pcbs on the inside) AND a clean room free of any dust. (if a piece of dust gets in there that drive is toast)

June 11, 2012 10:09:47 AM

mouse24 said:
Don't even try changing out the PCBs, you need at the very least to get the EXACT same pcb (not an identical HDD, most times they switch up the pcbs on the inside) AND a clean room free of any dust. (if a piece of dust gets in there that drive is toast)

I doubt that dust will kill HDD... since dust particles dont have any electronal or magnetical carge.... at least not in mu house... but yea, i already decided to throw it out. Hell, mby sell those part in ebay since they cost almost as much as HDD itselfe lol.
a b G Storage
June 11, 2012 10:45:53 AM

My god.... what a lot of information that I really failed to ever look into.
Living in a "Full of Dust Environment " I never seem to have had dust get inot the HDD even when the whole thing was covered with a 2mm layer of dust.
Removing the PCB and changing it will not have any dust going into the HDD.... it's completely sealed.
The PCB on the other hand will have just about 4 or 3 Contacts on the backside for the HDD motor and about 8 to 12 Contacts like the jumper contacts on the mobo for data and control.
a b G Storage
June 11, 2012 11:09:24 AM

alyoshka said:
My god.... what a lot of information that I really failed to ever look into.
Living in a "Full of Dust Environment " I never seem to have had dust get inot the HDD even when the whole thing was covered with a 2mm layer of dust.
Removing the PCB and changing it will not have any dust going into the HDD.... it's completely sealed.
The PCB on the other hand will have just about 4 or 3 Contacts on the backside for the HDD motor and about 8 to 12 Contacts like the jumper contacts on the mobo for data and control.

Ohh, I'll have to look into this, I knew it was sealed but I thought the pcb was inside that seal (or part of the seal itself, I dunno what I thought, never really thought about it I guess)
!