Sign in with
Your question

Possible motherboard or video card problems + more

Last response: in Systems
April 30, 2010 2:15:46 AM

I have been having problems with my video card (EVGA GeForce 9800GX2) and have wiped my hard-drive in an effort to install a fresh copy of windows 7 64-bit (was on Vista 64-bit previously) and to fix the problem. While installing the OS, I get an error message that warns me of some kind of file corruption, which I'm assuming means I need to get myself a new Windows 7 DVD. The real issues at hand however is that when I start my computer to install the new OS i get a BIOS screen with:
"Warning h/w monitor status abnormal. Please enter the setup to check voltage fan speed or temperature status." As far as I know, the CPU was never tampered with and came at stock speeds/voltages. I also went to the setup and loaded all of the default settings, to which I still receive the error message.
I was curious as to what specifically this is referring to and perhaps a way to fix it. Thanks in advance!

As a PS - The video card problem stems from it seeming to have a mind of its own. It works sometimes. When it doesn't, I fiddle with it and try to re-seat it, try different slots, and then randomly after much failure it will just start working again.

a b U Graphics card
a c 77 V Motherboard
April 30, 2010 2:57:30 AM

Sounds like a possible overheating problem. What are you CPU temps? What are your complete system specs?
m
l
August 20, 2010 11:58:47 AM

May need a faster CPU fan 2500 - 4000 RPM as its most likely showing you that your CPU is not getting suffcient cooling and maybe apply some extra thermal paste
m
l
Related resources
August 21, 2010 7:02:16 PM

after much experimentation, we ended up replacing the motherboard with a completely different model which stopped the blue screening, and the video card was replaced as well with a new model. everything is working fine now!
m
l
August 28, 2010 1:40:30 AM

also as a side note, i use liquid cooling for the cpu and i did notice that there was almost no thermal paste, so i added some more + the new motherboard and everything seems to be running very smooth now
m
l
August 30, 2010 11:47:45 AM

jblock2490 said:
also as a side note, i use liquid cooling for the cpu and i did notice that there was almost no thermal paste, so i added some more + the new motherboard and everything seems to be running very smooth now

Cool glad all is working the way it was designed to
m
l
!