Possible motherboard or video card problems + more

I have been having problems with my video card (EVGA GeForce 9800GX2) and have wiped my hard-drive in an effort to install a fresh copy of windows 7 64-bit (was on Vista 64-bit previously) and to fix the problem. While installing the OS, I get an error message that warns me of some kind of file corruption, which I'm assuming means I need to get myself a new Windows 7 DVD. The real issues at hand however is that when I start my computer to install the new OS i get a BIOS screen with:
"Warning h/w monitor status abnormal. Please enter the setup to check voltage fan speed or temperature status." As far as I know, the CPU was never tampered with and came at stock speeds/voltages. I also went to the setup and loaded all of the default settings, to which I still receive the error message.
I was curious as to what specifically this is referring to and perhaps a way to fix it. Thanks in advance!

As a PS - The video card problem stems from it seeming to have a mind of its own. It works sometimes. When it doesn't, I fiddle with it and try to re-seat it, try different slots, and then randomly after much failure it will just start working again.
5 answers Last reply
More about possible motherboard video card problems more
  1. Sounds like a possible overheating problem. What are you CPU temps? What are your complete system specs?
  2. May need a faster CPU fan 2500 - 4000 RPM as its most likely showing you that your CPU is not getting suffcient cooling and maybe apply some extra thermal paste
  3. after much experimentation, we ended up replacing the motherboard with a completely different model which stopped the blue screening, and the video card was replaced as well with a new model. everything is working fine now!
  4. also as a side note, i use liquid cooling for the cpu and i did notice that there was almost no thermal paste, so i added some more + the new motherboard and everything seems to be running very smooth now
  5. jblock2490 said:
    also as a side note, i use liquid cooling for the cpu and i did notice that there was almost no thermal paste, so i added some more + the new motherboard and everything seems to be running very smooth now

Cool glad all is working the way it was designed to
Ask a new question

Read More

Cyberpower Graphics Cards Motherboards Systems