Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Movies
  • Portable Hard Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 11, 2012 11:23:38 AM

Hello,
When I plug in my portable hard drive and got o open my movie folder on it, it comes up as needing to format your haed drive which is odd for me bacause I've had this hard drive for over a jyear now and when I say no to this option it comes up with data error: cyclic redundancy error, is there any way I can fix this and retrieve my movies???????

More about : miss movies

a c 426 G Storage
June 11, 2012 12:02:28 PM

Are you able to check the SMART status of the drive using a tool like HDTune or Speedfan? I'd start there and check for problems. You can also download the diagnostic tool from the hard drive manufacturer's web site and test the drive.
m
l
June 26, 2012 11:52:51 AM

Thanks but she is broken big time and I will have to get someone to try and retrive my data for my :( . Thankyou so much for taking the time ot answer my question as a newbie at this computer stuff it's people like you who make it easier for me to work my way through the tech world lol. :hello: 
m
l
a b G Storage
June 26, 2012 1:01:16 PM

TestDisk, Data Recovery
TestDisk is powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software, certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.

TestDisk Step By Step to recover lost partitions and repair damaged FAT/NTFS boot sector
Recover deleted files from NTFS partition

NOTE If seeked lost file are still missing, give PhotoRec a try. PhotoRec is a signature based file recovery utility and may be able to recover your data where other methods failed.

PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents and archives from hard disks, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures (thus the Photo Recovery name) from digital camera memory. PhotoRec ignores the file system and goes after the underlying data, so it will still work even if your media's file system has been severely damaged or reformatted.
m
l