Need some help going 24GB Please

tattoo18

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Hi there, I am a noob to the forum so sorry in advance. I think I need some major help. I am trying to figure out the best (fastest-quickest) and most upgradable Ram for my system. I bought (2) G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-12BRL sets to upgrade from my (stock) 12GB Elpida-6x2GB, to a 24GB G.Skill setup. Now I am reading and looking around (should have done this first, I know) I am thinking that there is better memory out there for my system. Any help or suggestion’s please?
Here is my system.

Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000:
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
Intel Core i7 Extreme 965 @ 3.2GHz - Current speed - 3.33GHz (Turbo)
Motherboard – Dell Inc, Model - 0X501H, Chipset - Intel X58, BIOS - Version A16 03/19/2009, SMBIOS Version 2.5
12GB Elpida ram PC3-8500 ddr3-1066 (stock dell ram)
GPU – Nvidia GeForce GTX 260, Driver 8.17.12.6099, 10/16/2010 (Will be upgrading in the next few weeks!)

I really just want to know if I am doing the right thing. Once I started reading more about the latencies and PC3-8500, 10666, or 12800. I knew I needed help from people that knew way more than I do.
When I talk to G.Skill Tech they say they don’t have a 24GB setup for my systems specs! I am really trying to figure out is the G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-12BRL a waste for my system and should I just go with maybe the G.Skill F3-10666CL7T-12GBRH. Or even something better all together? Lost?… I know me too
Any advice please?
Thanks again

Solution
Well that board will only handle up to 1333 DDR3, and even then it will still only run at 1067. There are some BIOS limitations with it, as is typical of a budget board. Better, lower latency RAM may help some, but in that system environment already running a 965X/X58 with 24 GB G.Skill- you might only notice a slight difference, if any. Not sure that's worth the money to upgrade that much RAM beyond the G.Skill you bought with that particular board.

If you need more juice than what you've got already, you may need to get into something else. Or increase the speed of your disk system with SSDs or RAID SSDs. That will have a much greater impact system wide than simply lowering the latency of your RAM.

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Well that board will only handle up to 1333 DDR3, and even then it will still only run at 1067. There are some BIOS limitations with it, as is typical of a budget board. Better, lower latency RAM may help some, but in that system environment already running a 965X/X58 with 24 GB G.Skill- you might only notice a slight difference, if any. Not sure that's worth the money to upgrade that much RAM beyond the G.Skill you bought with that particular board.

If you need more juice than what you've got already, you may need to get into something else. Or increase the speed of your disk system with SSDs or RAID SSDs. That will have a much greater impact system wide than simply lowering the latency of your RAM.

Solution
What you want is a compatible, supported 24gb ram kit.
1) Go to the motherboard site, and access their QVL list of tested, compatible ram kits. See if there is a 24gb kit on it. There might not be, and the list may not ave been updated.
2) Or, go to a ram vendor's web site, and access their ram configurator. Enter your motherboard, and get a list of supported ram kits. Look for a single 24gb kit to insure that all the sticks match; there can be problems with trying to buy two 12gb kits which can differ enough to cause problems.

A full complement of ram will probably need to operate an slower speeds.

Do not worry about the ram speeds, or latencies. The i7-9xx cpu's have a good memory controller that can keep the cpu fed with data from any speed ram.
Do not pay extra for fancy heat spreaders either. .

tattoo18

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Thank you for getting back to me so quick. WAy better than dealing with G.Skill Tech forum!

I think you are right on the fact that I will notice very little, I do run CS4 and CAD so I hope once I upgrade my hd to a good ssd and maybe upgrade the gpu as well, I will see a difference.

With the system that I stated on my first post, what gpu or gpu's would you recommend? (the gtx 260 is the 1gb made for dell by nvidia)

Also if you have any idea's on ssd I am all ears.

My widows exp index is 7.7 , 7.7 , 7.1 , 7.1 , 5.9

So it does look like I would benefit from ssd in a big way. running two 500gb raid 0 rght now.

Thanks again for helping me

tattoo18

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011

Thank you for getting back to me so quick. WAy better than dealing with G.Skill Tech forum!

I think you are right on the fact that I will notice very little, I do run CS4 and CAD so I hope once I upgrade my hd to a good ssd and maybe upgrade the gpu as well, I will see a difference.

With the system that I stated on my first post, what gpu or gpu's would you recommend? (the gtx 260 is the 1gb made for dell by nvidia)

Also if you have any idea's on ssd I am all ears.

My widows exp index is 7.7 , 7.7 , 7.1 , 7.1 , 5.9

So it does look like I would benefit from ssd in a big way. running two 500gb raid 0 rght now.

Thanks again for helping me

studioman22

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hey tattoo, thanks for Best Answer.

You could increase your throughput and system speed some by stepping up to SSD's in RAID 0, but what I meant was Revodrive RAID. It is a PCI-e card with four raid controllers and SSD's already onboard, and the numbers are reaching near 700 MB/s. For a home setup and even some corporate environments, those are some pretty serious numbers.

My only beef with them is potential problems with heat in a gaming rig, having to have it so close to the heat from SLI or Crossfire setups in a PCI-e slot. Not bad though if you have only one GPU, and you can locate the Revodrive in the last PCI-e slot, getting some distance between them.

Your are in that unfortunate place we all go through when your rig is great, but there's still slightly better new. Is it really enough better though to warrant spending what we are talking vs. the speed increase you will get? You are already running RAID 0. Revodrive is about the only thing in your case (aside from a 980X), and just my opinion.