Internet sharing on ddwrt mini

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
ok what i am trying to do is set up my wireless router to share my internet and my network properties from my main pc which in this case is the gateway with a static ip to my netbook for around the house. i have internet sharing enabled on the gateway pc if i direct connect the netbook to my secondary nic i get internet but im trying to figure out how to get it to work wirelessly

Sorry but I can’t quite figure out what you’re trying to do here.

It sounds like you have a wired connection between the PC and netbook and would like to make that wireless (putting all the other details aside for the moment). And for some reason you’re interested in using the PC as a gateway to your router. At least that seems to be the gist of it. What I don’t understand is, if the netbook already has wireless, then why use the PC as a gateway? Why not just connect directly to the wireless router.

Or else I’m just not getting what you’re trying to do here. Maybe a rewording might help.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
ok ill break it down as easy as i can

modem > main pc > Wireless router > wireless air waves
i have duel nic in the main pc the internet is shared.
what i want to do is have that shared internet broadcast from the wireless router to my netbook

my diagnostic was i did a direct connect and it worked.

essentially what i want to happen is i want my wifi router to work as a wifi switch. atleast thats the concept

direct connect to modem for vpn access. alot less hassle on that end.

Ok, I’m starting to get the picture. So what I’m seeing here is, you’re trying to avoid issues w/ VPN by having a direct connection w/ the modem, yet still share that connection with computers on the other network connection, one that’s running into a wireless router. Rather than the router serving as your gateway, your PC is performing that function.

Normally the wireless router is connected to the WAN port, and therefore it gets assigned the public IP. But in this case, you’ve allowed that public IP to be assigned to the PC. If you want/need to make that connection available to other clients, then you need to configure that PC as if it *was* a router. IOW, there needs to a NAT service, DHCP service, etc., just like the router. You can’t just pass traffic on thru to the wireless router. So you need to use something like ICS, or third party routing/gateway software to configure your PC appropriately. At that point, you technically don’t even need that wireless router, just a switch and wireless AP. But a router will work, just make sure you never use the WAN port, disable its DHPC server, and give it an IP in the same subnet as your PC (but not in the scope used by the ICS DHCP server).

IOW, you’ve merely created an ICS-like configuration, so treat it as such. Only difference is that in this case you don’t have the one client on the other connection, but a switch/AP w/ multiple clients.

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I would argue that you'd be better off configuring your router to pass your VPN traffic properly. What type of VPN are you using and what type of router? Normally it's just a checkbox or two that needs to be enabled.