Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
I am cloning a HD to an SSD using Acronis. Will it make the the SSD the same drive letter as the original or will I have to change it in Disk Manager. There is no O/S on the drive just data. Im worried the SSD will be assigned a different drive letter and will mess up access to the data which happens to be all my Microsoft Flight Sim data as well as the program itself. Thanks for any advice. The HDD is 500G going to a 120 G SSD but it only contains 60 G of data

Solution
OK so the data in that case will not be affected. Although the newly cloned drive (SSD the new one) will have to renamed to the same as the HDD you were cloning it from and change the HDD drive label to something else.
That way the programs will accept the new SSD as the source of the data instead of going back to the HDD.

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I'm not sure if Acronis correct for this for you, but there are alignment issues when imaging a HDD to a SSD.

As far as the drive letter, you can manually assign the drive letter. Open Run then type "diskmgmt.msc." This will open a program that lets you manage the drives attached to your computer. If you right click, you can choose to change the drive letter. Note that you cannot change the drive letter if another drive is already assigned that letter.

While the "Boot OS" drive letter may be changed, it is Not recommend.
Which ever drive is selected to Boot to will be "C" drive.
Cloning HDD -> SSD will destroy what ever data is on the SSD, So Back it up.
... Not a lover of Cloning a HDD -> SSD, prefer a clean install. Sometimes that is just not practable an Cloning can be used. Some conisderations:
...... How was the Installation on the HDD done - ie was the Bios set to AHCI. IF NOT you will need to first Convert the OS on the HDD to boot using AHCI. SSDs work best when Bios controller set to AHCI. If bios was set to IDE, SSD performance will suffer and TRIM will NOT be activated.
...... When cloning HDD -> SSD after completion you will need to verify:
...... A) That trim is active (enabled)
...... B) That the partition alignment is correct for an SSD.
...... C) Verify that that "tiny" 100 MB system partition is on the SSD.

@Alyosha... your advice is incorrent. The cloned drive data will not be destroyed.

If OP does it the simple way.... i.e. Clones the Drive.... and then replaces the HDD with the newly cloned SSD, then the SSD will pick up the C: Drive name and all will be well.

He can then add back the HDD which will pick up a different Drive letter.

OFC... if the original HDD is not his C drive then its all different... but he can post back if he needs that scenario

HTH
Cheers

He took it as the SSD drive has data on it, not the drive used as the source. I had to read it a second and third time to see that. If the SSD drive had data and you dumped a drive image on it, or cloned a drive over to it, the existing data on that drive would be gone.

OMG your right - I completely missread the OP question. Ignore me :whistle:

You may be right also hehe.

It may mean "the drive I am cloning FROM only has some files" or "the drive I am cloning TO only has some files" meaning he is not cloning a boot drive. Depends on how you read what is written.

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Sorry to confuse you. The SSD is brand new. I am cloning the HDD that has my flight sim program and data to the new SSD. My operating system is on another SSD as my C: drive and is not being touched. Sorry again about the confusion. Thanks

OK so the data in that case will not be affected. Although the newly cloned drive (SSD the new one) will have to renamed to the same as the HDD you were cloning it from and change the HDD drive label to something else.
That way the programs will accept the new SSD as the source of the data instead of going back to the HDD.

Solution

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Thanks for your help. Will have to wait a couple of days to do it because I had to order a new SSD as I accidentally snapped the sata data connector off of it while trying to mount it in the case. Should go to a full tower for more room but anyway thanks, you gave me the answer I needed.

Welcome. And bigger towers are always more comfy to work around in and good for the rig. Imagine being stuck in a 2 x 2 room 24 x 7 x365 with those damn fans on all the time.... :)
I, personally prefer full towers.... but it also depends on how much space you have in the room and around the work desk too.