Which sockets do you personally consider dead?

• LGA1366

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • LGA1156

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • LGA775

Votes: 6 11.1%

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • AM3

• AM2+

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • AM2

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • I consider some older sockets to be "not dead"

• No socket is ever dead

• Total voters
I would like a discussion on the term "dead" when referring to CPU sockets.

Come up with a definition of the term "dead socket". Do not include examples or even mention current processors. Let's keep this thread neutral. Also, I am only including desktop sockets, no exclusive server sockets will be used.

Also, please vote for which sockets you believe to be dead. You may vote for multiple.

runswindows95

Distinguished
I voted on Socket 478, 775, and 939. With the cost of the CPU's become more than a new CPU and motherboard, then I considered dead. Socket 775 is almost to that point, but it really depends on your motherboard. My motherboard uses a 945 chipset, so I can't find a new CPU for it. For the cost of the ones I could use in it, I'm better off building an AM3 system.

xaira

Distinguished
2 me dead means

will not be noticeably logicly upgradable than the most powerfull chip currently available for the platform in 1 year time

example, i7 880 will most likely b the most powerfull 1156 cpu you will be able to purchace 1 year from now, at its pricepoint, what reason does someone have to not buy an equivalent 1366 platform instead...1156 replaced 775 in midrange, when 1155 comes out and takes its place it will either be 1155 or 1366 unless 1156 cost plumits or intel purposefully holds back 1155 from its full potential

im not sure i xplained that the way it is in my head, but u get the drift

I'm curious as to who voted socket AM3 as dead. If they see this, please run me through your thinking. If not, anyone else feel free to give a reason for AM3 to be dead.

xaira, I'm curious to know why, by your definition, you don't think socket 1366 is dead?

Some good ideas and answers to far! Keep it up :p

I always thought the term 'dead' referred to the fact that no more CPUs based on a newer architecture will be available for that platform. This is why I think all are dead, except AM3, because LGA 1366 has the i7 970X left (similarly based on the i7 980X, the LGA 1156 some other Core i5s and i7 800s) and sockets 478, 754, 939, 940, AM2, AM2+ are obsolete. The only one which is not obsolete is AM3, because I'm pretty sure the first versions of Bulldozer are going to use AM3 before AM3r2.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Hi
To me a dead socket means when no new model will be launched for it. even if, some already in the market, models are being produced and sold, i will still call it dead. so i vote for

LGA775
AM2+
AM2

the reason I call am2 and am2+ dead is because am3 is there now. and any new model will mostly be compatible with am3 only or most optimised for am3. well cant say much about amd as its been a long time since i have owned an amd and have not been following it since.

ares1214

Splendid
To me dead means that the socket has either been discontinued for a period of time exceeding 1 year, can no longer accept upgrades, nor has any new cpus coming out on it, is not backwards or forwards compatible, and the price of said cpu is greater than an equivalent or greater cpu. this, for me, makes 775 dead, 478 rotting, 939 decomposing, and am2 dead. am2+ will likely be dead for me when BD comes out, if BD cant be used on am2+.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
AM3 is dead (other than rumors of Bulldozer working on it.. only rumors).

Bulldozer will be using a quad channel memory interface while current AM3 socket boards only offer dual channel.

It may be on socket AM3, but even if it is.. who's going to run Bulldozer in such a crippled state? No me.

loneninja

Distinguished
AM3 is the only one I voted as not dead. It's rumored Bulldozer products will be back ward compatible, so it has some future to it.

Socket AM2+ is pointless with AM3 around, and little to no hope of it supporting anything better than Thuban, and a handful of AM2+ boards don't support Thuban. 2/3 of my AM2+ boards don't support C3 Deneb or Thuban as they haven't had a BIOS released in nearly a year now.

Socket 1156/1366 are great products now, but it's already announced Sandy Bridge won't be compatible, so beyond higher clocks nothing is expected for these.

Socket 775 has horrible price/performance in all but the extreme low end, and there AM3 topples it. It may still have a few new processors coming out, but they've just been clock speed bumps. There is no new architecture or anything significant coming.

The other sockets, well we already know those are dead. You should have mentioned socket 754 while you were making this poll though.

And to me, dead doesn't mean it's a useless platform, but when the company has basically chosen to quit designing new products for it.

why would you think only having dual channel makes it dead, LGA1366 processors can be run on dual channel (instead of triple), and i wouldn't put AM2 or AM2+ dead until BD arrives if it can't physically run on those sockets (ie no DDR2 support)

But Bulldozer is for servers... But if you are talking about the desktop variant, Zambezi, I have heard the same rumours, but seen no evidence as such.

no, Bulldozer is the general term for that architecture, Interlagos for servers and Zambezi for mainstream (desktop), and the roadmap looks like AM3r2 which is really just AM3+ which should be compatible with AM3 and more than likely not AM2/AM2+

:p As much as I love being told how to run my polls...
But yeah, I did have it originally, but instead I decided to include it with "older sockets". I figured going back to 939 was old enough. If I could have more than 10 poll options, I totally would have gone back to socket 1 and included server sockets.

xaira

Distinguished
the people who believe that 1366 is dead, i must say i thought out of all the sockets thatd be the last voted for but 1366 is more obsolete than am3....lol

i believe that 1366 is not obsolete because socket 2011 which is to replace 1366 is not due until Q3 next year, and if and what a big if, bulldozer can dethrone the 980X (YOU SAW BRAZIL GO HOME) then intel WILL pack 8 cores into socket 1366, thus an upgrade path....

I consider a socket 'dead' when it is no longer advisable to do a new build off of it, LGA 775 is sitting on that line right now, but it will fall into dead once CPU availability drops off. The only ones i didnt mark dead with LGA 1366, 1156, AM2+ and AM3, AM2+ still has value in low cost builds, but once new AMD CPUs stop being supported by AM2+ boards then it will be dead. I dont see how any of the ones that currently have CPUs being released for them now can be dead, LGA 1156 isnt dead for people who start with an i3, they still have plenty of upgrade options for a year or two.

I consider a socket dead when the smoke has left the chip in a melted pool of plastic and metal,
Chips may be obsolete a few months after launch cause a better shinier one has been released, but I and plenty of other people still have a P4 system running in the household, the architecture may have been surpassed by far by newer faster chips, but when you hit the power button and it boots, I call that a live one
I also Ride a 1983 Vf750 chop, also well past their heyday, but a damn nice ride.
:p
Moto

G

478,775,939,AM2,AM2+...

I would use none of these for a new build!

AM3, 1156, 1366 are the current years sockets to build new with!

But Skt775 and AM2+ still have life left in them for upgrades or for pass me on/second systems as they are perfectly serviceable!

To me dead means that there's
A) No more new chips being developed for the socket
B) No further support for it (updates)
C) No CPUs that support it available commercially
D) No more new mobo's with supporting chipsets

In this reasoning 1155, 1366, AM2+, AM3 are all fine and dandy.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Because Rumors do not equal compatibility. That simple.

Here's a rumor...

Intel's next Generation CPUs will work on socket 1366.

Oh and I heard that pigs fly as well.

Confirm or Deny.

To use a rumor, as a basis for a positive claim about a product, is, in my opinion, absurd.