Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 and 4 dimms

Last response: in Motherboards
January 13, 2011 8:42:52 AM

Hello,

I have the exact problem like here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/263163-12-x48t-does... , but, the my components are different and I don't know if the solution here would work. I never played with ram voltages and timmings and I am a little afraid to aply the valuest in previos topic without a proper advice.

Here is the system info:

MB: Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3
Ram: 4 x KingMax 1GB DDR2 800MHz CL5 (KLDD4-DDR2-1G800)
Proc: AMD Phenom 8450 Triple-Core 2.1GHz Skt AM2+ Box (HD8450WCGHBOX)

I tried every combination of 2 dimms and the pc works propperly. If I put all 4 dimms all I get is a Black screen and I cant even reach BIOS.

Could you please help me with some advice?
a c 223 V Motherboard
January 13, 2011 1:49:57 PM

Is your BIOS up to date? Also, are your RAM settings set to DEFAULT or AUTO in the BIOS?

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

Please clarify.
January 13, 2011 2:24:57 PM

Hello,

Nop. BIOS is not up to date. I tried to avoid an update if is not really necessarly.

BIOS settings are "Load opt settings"

No, no overclock at all.

Related resources
a c 223 V Motherboard
January 13, 2011 2:34:50 PM

Got it. Go into your BIOS and find the memory settings. Make sure they are set to AUTO, this will let the mobo establish good speed settings between the memory and the mobo. I am concerened that the optimal settings profile may be overly agressive and causing the conflict you are having.

This condition (the one you are having) happens, with some regularity, when all memory slots are used in some systems. It is a timing/speed issue.

If the RAM is good, I am pretty sure we can resolve this issue.
January 13, 2011 2:43:29 PM

Thanks for helping :) 

A question: After i set al memory settings to auto i make a try with all dimms or this is just a step?
January 13, 2011 2:52:37 PM

Nevermind. I just checked and all memory setting are on auto mode (so i didn't tried to put all dimms again).

What is the next step?
a c 223 V Motherboard
January 13, 2011 3:05:50 PM

oldoak said:
Nevermind. I just checked and all memory setting are on auto mode (so i didn't tried to put all dimms again).

What is the next step?

If it were me, I would flash the BIOS to the most recent version. Then I would hard reset the BIOS (via the jumper block or pull the motherboard battery method). I would then install all 4 DIMMs and try again.

The hard reset, by the way, will set the BIOS back to its base default configuration.

To execute the hard reset, power the system down and remove all power sources (power cord, monitor, powered speakers, etc). Then press the power button itself to discharge any residual power in the system (yes it is true). Then remove the motherboard battery (note which side goes up) and wait 30 seconds. Re-install the battery. While you are at it install the additional DIMMS, then reverse the instructions to connect everything back and power up the system.

Good luck!
!