Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question about RAM in build

Last response: in Systems
April 30, 2010 5:09:01 AM

Hi,

I am planning on building a computer by November of this year. I have been told by you guys to get a PSU and a case as deals come up as prices shouldn't drop on those. I bought the Sonata III case with the earthgreen antec 500W PSU for $80, normally $130.

I found this RAM:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

Which I can buy for around $60, my question is should I buy it or wait as prices should fall later this year? RAM was a question mark, the other parts of the computer I am definitely waiting on. What do you all think? Will I find a better deal? Is this RAM even any good, or should I buy better RAM? My build's price is somewhere around $500 - $700. Thanks!

More about : question ram build

April 30, 2010 7:01:13 PM

I think we need more info into what you are shooting for. What I mean is what you are planning to use this system for. If you have any preferences. I'm not a big fan of that RAM although it is a good price. I prefer DDR3 1600 CL7 ram. However, it depends what you are trying to do. RAM speeds don't make a big difference anymore unless you are shooting for great overclocks.

The other thing to consider is compatibility. I would typically recommend knowing what CPU you are going after so you know what type of MOBO and RAM you need. For example, if you were wanting Core i7 930, then you would want a triple channel kit and buying that set of ram now would be a waste of money.

RAM costs are going to be hard to predict though as just over the past year we've see it bottom out and come back up.

Parts that won't vary as much are going to be your DVD optical drives as they have pretty much bottomed out. Peripherals don't change as much either if you find a good price on something you like, aka keyboard, mouse, speakers. BluRay drives will likely continue to drop.
m
l
April 30, 2010 7:58:24 PM

oh, and this is mainly for CS5 Web Premium, NOT video.
m
l
Related resources
April 30, 2010 7:58:46 PM

So you're saying RAM is high right now and I should wait? I'm building in beginning of Dec.

I won't be able to get a 930 most likely within my budget, however I might go for one of the six core AMD proc.
m
l
April 30, 2010 10:09:06 PM

Ram is hard to predict. I remember once 256 meg ddr sticks dropped to like $21 once. And that was a smack in the face bottom low price.

Well currently 4gb of ddr3 1600 cas7 will run you $115-120. If it goes below $100 I say you just jump on it.
m
l

Best solution

May 1, 2010 2:05:43 AM

vigorvermin said:
So you're saying RAM is high right now and I should wait? I'm building in beginning of Dec.

I won't be able to get a 930 most likely within my budget, however I might go for one of the six core AMD proc.

What I am saying is that the kit you listed is a pretty decent price but prices right now are higher than they were this time last year. That being said, even if they were low, I wouldn't recommend the set of ram you are looking at.

My advice would be to keep looking for good RAM and if it gets cheap buy it then, otherwise you have plenty of time to keep an eye on things. The overall trend over a long period of time is down as technology gets better.

The second thing to look for then, but it sounds like your budget's going to probably exclude X58 is to not be buying a dual channel kit if you will eventually need triple or vice versa.
May 1, 2010 3:07:59 AM

Best answer selected by vigorvermin.
m
l
!