Installing, wont recognize Hard Drive

islan_k

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Hi.

I am trying to install Windows XP on my new 1 TB SATA 3 hard drive so that I can upgrade to Windows 7. When it comes to the part to select the hard drive, Windows installer reports that there is no recognizable drives available.

I used a Live CD of Kubuntu to test that front, and when I go to install that it recognizes the hard drive just fine.

I have seen some other threads about "initializing" a new hard drive for Windows XP, but those all seem to require Windows XP to already be installed.

islan_k

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Well I got what looks like 4 drivers off Gigabyte's web site, one set of two for 64-bit and one set of two for 32-bit, each set having a floppy "install first" driver and a regular driver. Thinking that I the "install first" was the best bet I gave that a whirl with the 64-bit version since it is Windows XP 64-bit. No luck. I'll give the normal driver a try-out tomorrow.

islan_k

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Oh, nice trick. I'll give that a shot this afternoon, as the nlite method can take a good bit of time. Once you install Win XP and have all the drivers up to date, you should just be able to change the BIOS back to SATA right?