Which Motherboard do I want?

Precision690FAN

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Im custom building right now and I was looking at motherboards on newegg, but the selection is so big i couldn't make up my mind. So please tell me what you find.
there are some requirements it needs to make,

It has to fit this CPU (I will put the Newegg number cause i would like to buy everything off Newegg) Item#: N82E16819103913

Another feature it has to have, is Cross-fire, i want to do Cross-fire with 2 of these Item#: N82E16814102872

Also im on a budget and the motherboard cant be more than $150

I know thats a lot to ask but thats why I came Tom's Hardware.

Please post anything you find, like, or your current setup that is working for you .

Precision690FAN

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Don't get me wrong thats a great Motherboard, but please bare with me and i'm sorry cause i'm going to be picky... :(
I really like the specs on the motherboard and the only is, i wanted to do cross-fire with both slots being 16x (if thats even possible, i'm not to familiar with Cross-fire, and if they have to share the bandwith)
Also I would like the FSB to be as high as possible.
One more thing the CPU and graphic card is a solid deal (no changing) cause someone is getting me a REALLY good deal on them.
thank-you again and sorry for being so picky

(wait sorry I forgot its not called FSB its Hyper Transport. Got to get in the AMD frame of mind)

Yep it's a CF card; note the connections in the top right corner.
14-102-872-12.jpg

Precision690FAN

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Single monitor 23" (for now,want more) running at 1920x1080.
and i'm not sure about the games, i'm kinda doing research for my friend. but ya he probably plays Crysis, and Ghost Recon advanced warfighter, and other games?

Then you might want to research your ATI GPUs vs games, you 'can' get decent frame rates with low quality and might want to rethink everything. Also, nVidia scales better than ATI/AMD. A few months ago I built a 'crazy' AMD rig for one of my friends, warned him, and the gaming results $ per $ weren't close on an i7 vs AM3 rig which was a $1K more.

Good article - http://www.techspot.com/review/289-geforce-gtx-480-sli-versus-radeon-5870-crossfire/page2.html depends on the games, resolution, details, etc.

Research first that's all I'm suggesting. Rigs > $1200 my votes go for SB or X58. Bull dozer

Also, I'm not an AMD snob, I look forward to th Bulldozer {above hit post too soon}. I hope that their new stuff is great and whatever the ATI architecture scaling problem they improve it. I jump from ATI -> nVidia constantly, but with since the GTX 470/480 something popped with nVidia.

Again, it's all about the 'use' - AMD is killer with Maya rendering.

The older GTX 480's ran hotter than hell, but the new GTX 5XX series 'fixed' that problem and added better performance plus with a LOT LESS power. Go figure?!