Serial Device & No Serial Port

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 26, 2004 1:19:08 AM

Is there some type of Serial To USB adapter that I could use for my graphics
tablet? I want to do some animation on the road but I have the serial
edition tablet and a laptop with no serial port.

TIA

Ballpoint
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 26, 2004 3:14:40 AM

Ballpoint wrote:
> Is there some type of Serial To USB adapter that I could use for my
> graphics tablet? I want to do some animation on the road but I have
> the serial edition tablet and a laptop with no serial port.
>
> TIA
>
> Ballpoint

Belkin makes a serviceable serial to USB adapter that works for *most*
serial devices. From my experience with it, the only requirements are
that the device driver can be installed in the OS, even though there is
no physical serial port, and a COM port can be defined. The serial to
USB adapter is then set to address that COM port. So the first thing to
verify is that you can install the tablet to the laptop. COM4 is a
commonly available port, and is the default port for the Belkin adapter.
There are other adapters that might work as well.

a b D Laptop
September 26, 2004 8:09:56 PM

Yes, there are USB to serial adapters. $15 to $50. The problem is that
they don't always work. If the software uses standard BIOS and system
calls, it may work, but if the software tries to access the actual
hardware registers, and/or if the software is limited to COM1 to COM4
(or, even worse, COM2), you may be out of luck.

The other alternative is a PC Card to serial port. These are relatively
rare and sometimes expensive (sometimes VERY expensive), but they almost
always work because it's a "real" serial port.

Ballpoint wrote:

> Is there some type of Serial To USB adapter that I could use for my graphics
> tablet? I want to do some animation on the road but I have the serial
> edition tablet and a laptop with no serial port.
>
> TIA
>
> Ballpoint

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 28, 2004 3:12:06 PM

"Ballpoint" <cantevenhint@itthese.days> wrote in message news:<6Uo5d.2807$By5.306315@read2.cgocable.net>...
> Is there some type of Serial To USB adapter that I could use for my graphics
> tablet? I want to do some animation on the road but I have the serial
> edition tablet and a laptop with no serial port.
>
> TIA
>
> Ballpoint

Best bet is a PCMCIA serial port card:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/10...

Also see:
http://store.yahoo.com/westcoastmicro/rscoflpcseio.html

which would require the use of a PCMCIA to CF adapter, but is a little
more compact to carry around (but more fragile).

Not cheap, at $50-60, compared to $15-20 for a USB to serial port
adapter,

http://store.elementsource.com/btose9cocaus.html

Sometimes the USB to serial adapters will work, but some older devices
require a real I/O mapped serial port with IRQ 4 or 3, and the legacy
serial port address.
!