Downgraded from Domain to Workgroup and can't log in

I was toying around with switching from a workgroup to a domain. I switched
back to the workgroup, and now I get the domain user name as the login name
and the password I set it in using the domain doesn't work. Is there
anything I can do short of reformatting? I didn't have a password on it when
originally installed as a workgroup machine.
6 answers Last reply
More about downgraded domain workgroup

    Disjoining the domain destroyed the client/ domain trust. You'll need to
    physically reconnect to the domain and rejoin it to the domain. You can
    logon locally with any valid local account. The cached domain account
    information is no longer available. Ask the systems administrator to rejoin
    the pc back to the domain.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Mr. A wrote:
    > I was toying around with switching from a workgroup to a domain. I switched
    > back to the workgroup, and now I get the domain user name as the login name
    > and the password I set it in using the domain doesn't work. Is there
    > anything I can do short of reformatting? I didn't have a password on it when
    > originally installed as a workgroup machine.

    By changing the computer from the domain to a workgroup, your son
    destroyed the trust between the domain and the machine. In doing so, he
    has also rendered any domain login credentials as invalid. You need to
    be physically connected to the domain network, you need to have
    administrative privileges to the laptop, and you need to have
    administrative privileges on the domain. Then you can add the machine
    back on to the domain, after having first deleted the computer's old
    domain account (unless you've also renamed the computer).

    Take the laptop to your network administrator (I can't help but
    conclude that such exists, or the laptop would not have been a member of
    a domain) for repairs.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    There's the rub -- *I* am the sysadmin. I was trying to get a feel for what
    it would take to migrate from a workgroup to domain network between my
    desktop and a new SBS server.

    So after playing around, my final intention was to put everything back the
    way it was on my PC, in workgroup mode. It looks like it got half way there.
    When my XP box is rebooted I can see its shared drives from the old
    workgroup, but I can't log into the PC directly. I didn't originally have a
    password on the box (it's only a week old), but did on the domain install.

    What keeps coming up as the user name on the client is the one I set during
    domain setup, not what it was when it was in the workgroup.

    I should also add that I deleted my account on the SBS box before I started
    this, and when I try to re-add it, it says my machine name already exists.

    Thanks for your help!

    > Mr. A wrote:
    > > I was toying around with switching from a workgroup to a domain. I
    switched
    > > back to the workgroup, and now I get the domain user name as the login
    name
    > > and the password I set it in using the domain doesn't work. Is there
    > > anything I can do short of reformatting? I didn't have a password on it
    when
    > > originally installed as a workgroup machine.
    > >

    > By changing the computer from the domain to a workgroup, your son
    > destroyed the trust between the domain and the machine. In doing so, he
    > has also rendered any domain login credentials as invalid. You need to
    > be physically connected to the domain network, you need to have
    > administrative privileges to the laptop, and you need to have
    > administrative privileges on the domain. Then you can add the machine
    > back on to the domain, after having first deleted the computer's old
    > domain account (unless you've also renamed the computer).
    >
    > Take the laptop to your network administrator (I can't help but
    > conclude that such exists, or the laptop would not have been a member of
    > a domain) for repairs.
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Bruce:
    See my response to Dave Patrick. It's my machine on an SBS network I'm
    attempting to set up. I have a feeling my XP box is stuck in limbo somewhere
    between the domain setup and the workgroup setup. Currently, I'm staring at
    the "Log On to Windows" dialog prompting me for my user name and password.

    As my last attempt to get this beast going, I set up a new account on the
    SBS box and am trying to use this as the login now with no success. For the
    user name I'm using myname@mydomain.local and the password I set up for it
    on the server. No dice.

    BTW, I don't have a son, at least not that I *know* of ;)

    I know it's bad form to answer one's own post, but I just found the answer.
    It looks like I'm screwed. I neglected to run DCPROMO when I downgraded from
    domain to workgroup.

    I found out about it in this experts-exchange thread:
    http://tinyurl.com/5vgh4

    Any ideas would be appreciated.

    "Mr. A" <rocklobsterNOSPAM@techie.com> wrote in message
    > There's the rub -- *I* am the sysadmin. I was trying to get a feel for
    what
    > it would take to migrate from a workgroup to domain network between my
    > desktop and a new SBS server.
    >
    > So after playing around, my final intention was to put everything back the
    > way it was on my PC, in workgroup mode. It looks like it got half way
    there.
    > When my XP box is rebooted I can see its shared drives from the old
    > workgroup, but I can't log into the PC directly. I didn't originally have
    > password on the box (it's only a week old), but did on the domain install.
    >
    > What keeps coming up as the user name on the client is the one I set
    during
    > domain setup, not what it was when it was in the workgroup.
    >
    > I should also add that I deleted my account on the SBS box before I
    started
    > this, and when I try to re-add it, it says my machine name already exists.
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
    > > Disjoining the domain destroyed the client/ domain trust. You'll need to
    > > physically reconnect to the domain and rejoin it to the domain. You can
    > > logon locally with any valid local account. The cached domain account
    > > information is no longer available. Ask the systems administrator to
    > rejoin
    > > the pc back to the domain.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    > > Microsoft Certified Professional
    > > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    > >
    > > "Mr. A" wrote:
    > > |I was toying around with switching from a workgroup to a domain. I
    > switched
    > > | back to the workgroup, and now I get the domain user name as the login
    > > name
    > > | and the password I set it in using the domain doesn't work. Is there
    > > | anything I can do short of reformatting? I didn't have a password on
    it
    > > when
    > > | originally installed as a workgroup machine.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Hold the shift at windows starting to logon as another user.

    --

    "Mr. A" wrote:
    |I know it's bad form to answer one's own post, but I just found the answer.
    | It looks like I'm screwed. I neglected to run DCPROMO when I downgraded
    from
    | domain to workgroup.
    |
    | I found out about it in this experts-exchange thread:
    | http://tinyurl.com/5vgh4
    |
    | Any ideas would be appreciated.
    |
    | "Mr. A" <rocklobsterNOSPAM@techie.com> wrote in message
    | > There's the rub -- *I* am the sysadmin. I was trying to get a feel for
    | what
    | > it would take to migrate from a workgroup to domain network between my
    | > desktop and a new SBS server.
    | >
    | > So after playing around, my final intention was to put everything back
    the
    | > way it was on my PC, in workgroup mode. It looks like it got half way
    | there.
    | > When my XP box is rebooted I can see its shared drives from the old
    | > workgroup, but I can't log into the PC directly. I didn't originally
    have
    | > password on the box (it's only a week old), but did on the domain
    install.

    | > What keeps coming up as the user name on the client is the one I set
    | during
    | > domain setup, not what it was when it was in the workgroup.
    | >
    | > I should also add that I deleted my account on the SBS box before I
    | started
    | > this, and when I try to re-add it, it says my machine name already
    exists.

    | > Thanks for your help!

Configuration Domain Login Windows XP