Downgraded from Domain to Workgroup and can't log in

January 9, 2005 5:17:16 PM

I was toying around with switching from a workgroup to a domain. I switched
back to the workgroup, and now I get the domain user name as the login name
and the password I set it in using the domain doesn't work. Is there
anything I can do short of reformatting? I didn't have a password on it when
originally installed as a workgroup machine.
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 5:17:17 PM

Disjoining the domain destroyed the client/ domain trust. You'll need to
physically reconnect to the domain and rejoin it to the domain. You can
logon locally with any valid local account. The cached domain account
information is no longer available. Ask the systems administrator to rejoin
the pc back to the domain.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Mr. A wrote:
> I was toying around with switching from a workgroup to a domain. I switched
> back to the workgroup, and now I get the domain user name as the login name
> and the password I set it in using the domain doesn't work. Is there
> anything I can do short of reformatting? I didn't have a password on it when
> originally installed as a workgroup machine.

By changing the computer from the domain to a workgroup, your son
destroyed the trust between the domain and the machine. In doing so, he
has also rendered any domain login credentials as invalid. You need to
be physically connected to the domain network, you need to have
administrative privileges to the laptop, and you need to have
administrative privileges on the domain. Then you can add the machine
back on to the domain, after having first deleted the computer's old
domain account (unless you've also renamed the computer).

Take the laptop to your network administrator (I can't help but
conclude that such exists, or the laptop would not have been a member of
a domain) for repairs.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
January 9, 2005 5:59:23 PM

There's the rub -- *I* am the sysadmin. I was trying to get a feel for what
it would take to migrate from a workgroup to domain network between my
desktop and a new SBS server.

So after playing around, my final intention was to put everything back the
way it was on my PC, in workgroup mode. It looks like it got half way there.
When my XP box is rebooted I can see its shared drives from the old
workgroup, but I can't log into the PC directly. I didn't originally have a
password on the box (it's only a week old), but did on the domain install.

What keeps coming up as the user name on the client is the one I set during
domain setup, not what it was when it was in the workgroup.

I should also add that I deleted my account on the SBS box before I started
this, and when I try to re-add it, it says my machine name already exists.

Thanks for your help!

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> Disjoining the domain destroyed the client/ domain trust. You'll need to
> physically reconnect to the domain and rejoin it to the domain. You can
> logon locally with any valid local account. The cached domain account
> information is no longer available. Ask the systems administrator to
rejoin
> the pc back to the domain.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Mr. A" wrote:
> |I was toying around with switching from a workgroup to a domain. I
switched
> | back to the workgroup, and now I get the domain user name as the login
> name
> | and the password I set it in using the domain doesn't work. Is there
> | anything I can do short of reformatting? I didn't have a password on it
> when
> | originally installed as a workgroup machine.

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 6:13:26 PM

> Mr. A wrote:
> > I was toying around with switching from a workgroup to a domain. I
switched
> > back to the workgroup, and now I get the domain user name as the login
name
> > and the password I set it in using the domain doesn't work. Is there
> > anything I can do short of reformatting? I didn't have a password on it
when
> > originally installed as a workgroup machine.
> >

> By changing the computer from the domain to a workgroup, your son
> destroyed the trust between the domain and the machine. In doing so, he
> has also rendered any domain login credentials as invalid. You need to
> be physically connected to the domain network, you need to have
> administrative privileges to the laptop, and you need to have
> administrative privileges on the domain. Then you can add the machine
> back on to the domain, after having first deleted the computer's old
> domain account (unless you've also renamed the computer).
>
> Take the laptop to your network administrator (I can't help but
> conclude that such exists, or the laptop would not have been a member of
> a domain) for repairs.
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Bruce:
See my response to Dave Patrick. It's my machine on an SBS network I'm
attempting to set up. I have a feeling my XP box is stuck in limbo somewhere
between the domain setup and the workgroup setup. Currently, I'm staring at
the "Log On to Windows" dialog prompting me for my user name and password.

As my last attempt to get this beast going, I set up a new account on the
SBS box and am trying to use this as the login now with no success. For the
user name I'm using myname@mydomain.local and the password I set up for it
on the server. No dice.

BTW, I don't have a son, at least not that I *know* of ;)
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 7:21:11 PM

I know it's bad form to answer one's own post, but I just found the answer.
It looks like I'm screwed. I neglected to run DCPROMO when I downgraded from
domain to workgroup.

I found out about it in this experts-exchange thread:
http://tinyurl.com/5vgh4

Any ideas would be appreciated.

"Mr. A" <rocklobsterNOSPAM@techie.com> wrote in message
> There's the rub -- *I* am the sysadmin. I was trying to get a feel for
what
> it would take to migrate from a workgroup to domain network between my
> desktop and a new SBS server.
>
> So after playing around, my final intention was to put everything back the
> way it was on my PC, in workgroup mode. It looks like it got half way
there.
> When my XP box is rebooted I can see its shared drives from the old
> workgroup, but I can't log into the PC directly. I didn't originally have
> password on the box (it's only a week old), but did on the domain install.
>
> What keeps coming up as the user name on the client is the one I set
during
> domain setup, not what it was when it was in the workgroup.
>
> I should also add that I deleted my account on the SBS box before I
started
> this, and when I try to re-add it, it says my machine name already exists.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> > Disjoining the domain destroyed the client/ domain trust. You'll need to
> > physically reconnect to the domain and rejoin it to the domain. You can
> > logon locally with any valid local account. The cached domain account
> > information is no longer available. Ask the systems administrator to
> rejoin
> > the pc back to the domain.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> > Microsoft Certified Professional
> > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
> >
> > "Mr. A" wrote:
> > |I was toying around with switching from a workgroup to a domain. I
> switched
> > | back to the workgroup, and now I get the domain user name as the login
> > name
> > | and the password I set it in using the domain doesn't work. Is there
> > | anything I can do short of reformatting? I didn't have a password on
it
> > when
> > | originally installed as a workgroup machine.

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 7:21:12 PM

Hold the shift at windows starting to logon as another user.

--

!