Sign in with
Your question

Does this New Rig sound any good ?

Last response: in Systems
April 30, 2010 12:14:00 PM

Im waiting to cash in on the deals of cyber monday this year. Considering I was oblivious to this bonanza of deals in years past, I'm not entering 2011 without a new rig that has the power to play the latest games on --moderate-- to --high-- settings. (my Dell Pentium 4, 4 gigs of ddr2, and no vid card has lasted me since 2007)

So, im getting a job this summer. and by the end, right before i go to college, i should have about 3000 buckaroos to spend. hahaha not all on this rig though. maybe a third of it. Hopefully, i wont have to spend that much. ummm sooo heres what im looking at.

CPU:

Phenom II x 2 555 3.2 ghz, 80 w (I'm looking to unlock the silenced cores, does anyone have experience doing this? And I know any real statistic is impossible to calculate, cuz not everyone will post whether they succeeded or crashed and burned...)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819103846

Motherboard:

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 it had some of the features i was looking for, pretty good future-proofing, no ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131631

Memory:

CORSAIR DOMINATOR
8GB (4 x 2GB)
- DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
latency- 8
timing- 8-8-8-24
voltage- 1.65 V
(yeah and all of these can be OC'ed so they kinda mean nothing...)

but does this seem like overkill ? would 2 x 2gb be enough ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820145267

Case:

TEVO-001BK

I liked the case for being functional as well as aesthetically pleasing. Not to over the top like some other gaming rigs. I dont want it to be too flashy, yet not boring. You know ? umm the case has no screws hdd installation. a nice black finish on the inside (who ever thought gray steel was a good color to stick with ? ) Lots of room, 5 eggs , Great Air circulation, And the fans are apparently not too loud. An all around good case....in my opinnion atleast.

PSU

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V

Manufacturer was voted best of 2009, i dont think i need more than 750 watts, do i ? maybe a lil more would serve me better down the road. but 750+ seems like overkill, yeah? umm ive been reading that 1 rail is a lot better than mult, cuz the power isnt divided among them. umm the only thing i didnt like was it not being modular. But i dont think it will be that much of a problem since the Case will let me hide the leftover cables..umm. its power consumption was rated 80 Plus. so ...yeah. eco friendly.YAY!!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817139006

Im not thinking of any particular vid card just yet cuz prices seems to drop all the time. But any suggestions on a good CF or single card setup would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for ur input.

---------------------------> MIKE XP

(PLZ PLZ PLZ correct me on anything and give you're full hearted advice!! I don't care whether it crushes my soul, and undermines my hours of searching and reading of reviews..im no where an expert, but no novice at the same time, im kind of in the middle....)

More about : rig sound good

April 30, 2010 12:19:22 PM

1. I wouldn't count on a 100% sucess unlock *and* stable episode for Callisto if i were u and your config looks a bit heavy on some side but light on others

2. AthlonII X3 - PhenomII X4 955BE would do nicely ^^

3. NO CF? Go for the latest 870 chipset i.e the sucessors of the 770

4. 4GB DDR3 i.e 2 x 2 is fine and Corsair Doms are overpriced for me

5. Case - good cooling for the $$ cases would be
a. NZXT Beta EVO
b. Antec 300 Illusion
c. Cooler Master 690
d. Rosewill Destroyer

6. No CF? 550-650 80+ with active PFC PSU would serve u well

7. GPU

1680 X 1050 no AA/AF
GTS 250, HD 4850, HD 5750

1680 X 1050 some AA/AF
HD 5770

1920 X 1080
HD 5830 or better
m
l
April 30, 2010 6:47:30 PM

I think the other thing you need to consider is prices hopefully will be lower buy the time you intend to purchase so if you are looking for the best bang for your buck, which is what I would recommend, then you need to reevaluate closer to the time of purchase. But otherwise looks ok for now.
m
l
!