Sign in with
Your question

Build for editing photos and watching movies

Last response: in Systems
April 30, 2010 1:04:15 PM

This is my first build and I'm new to the site so my appologize if the format isn't correct.

I want to build a system mainly for photo editing and watching HD movies. I would really appreciate if you guys could let me know what you think and if any part is overkill or a serious bottleneck. I also have the following questions;

1) Is the video card sufficient for my purposes? I don't plan on gaming with this system. I just want to be able to edit photos in photosohp, watch HD movies fluidly and do some light editing of HD video clips I have taken.

2) I would like to have an SSD drive for the OS but I'm torn between the Intel X25-M 80 GB and the Kingston SSDNow V+ Series 64 GB. The reviews for the Intel are very favorable but so are some for the Kingston. Any thoughts?

3) I'm confused about what ram configuration I should get. I was thinking of getting 4 sticks of 2GB but then I read that this won't use tri channel because the number of sticks would need to be a multiple of three. Would it be better to get 6x 1GB sticks instead of 4x 2GB sticks to be able to take advantage of tri channel?

4) Is the timming of the ram I chose good for my purposes?

Thanks!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: By the end of May

BUDGET RANGE: 1400-1500 Canadian dollars (roughly on par with US$ right now)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Editing photos (from Raw files using Photoshop Elements), watching HD movies (both on monitor at 1680x1050 and 46" TV at 1080p), transcoding movies, some very light editing of HD video files

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, I just order a dell 2209WA which has an optimal resolution of 1680 X 1050. DVD burner. Mouse and keyboard. I have my old 500 GB hard drive for storage.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: amazon.ca because I have gift certificates that I can use there but I found most of my parts on newegg.ca

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe. I have no knowledge about overclocking but I might consider it further down the road.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680 X 1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows 7 home premium

Intel i7-920 2.66GHz processor

ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366

2x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

Antec TruePower TP-650 650W

Intel X25-M SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II
OR
Kingston SSDNow V+Series 64 GB

Asus GeForce GT 240 512MB 128-bit GDDR5

Antec Two Hundred (v2) Mid Tower

Antec PRO 120mm DBB case fan

April 30, 2010 2:02:16 PM

Please ignore question #2 about tri channel ram. I checked the motherboard user manual and it does support tripple-channel operation with four DIMMs.

Related resources
!