Your question

Disk boot error..

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Boot
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
April 30, 2010 1:29:18 PM

Ok I just got a new HD because my old hds little SATA plug holder broke off and it takes forever to get it in place, when it wasn't in the right place it would give the error, but when I got it perfect it would boot up windows, I tried to tape it in place, it went out. Tried fixing it for hours. Now I have a WD 500GB Caviar, plugged it in all good, bios is recognizing, but I still get the error after trying to boot slax or a win7 install disk.

More about : disk boot error

April 30, 2010 2:11:53 PM

What error?

No Boot drive detected error?
Some other boot error?

You can't get a disk boot error if you're not booting from a HD in case of trying to boot on win 7 disk. You can get other errors though.
m
l
April 30, 2010 2:52:21 PM

it says:
Loading OS (I have none)
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
Put in linux/win7 disk
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
m
l
Related resources
April 30, 2010 3:18:35 PM

1. Is your HD formatted yet?

2. You need to boot from CD/DVD to install os. Hit button to select boot device during POST. Usually F12. Choose boot from cd/dvd. You'll be able to format an unformatted HD this during this process.
m
l
April 30, 2010 5:58:28 PM

1. No
2. Tried it and it still goes to Loading Operating System
m
l
April 30, 2010 6:30:44 PM

Well you're getting the boot disk failure message because you don't have an OS or a formatted HD installed.

Boot to CV/DVD should cause it to load up using the win 7 dvd and start the install process. Go into BIOS and switch boot order to DVD/CD first just in case.

Is this a legal actual install disk you're using?
m
l
April 30, 2010 8:56:57 PM

I've done all that you've said, still error.
It's not a legal disk, but I'm sure that it works, and even with that not working the linux live slax disk should work.
m
l
April 30, 2010 9:17:12 PM

Like I said, nothing will install or work until the HD is formatted. Is this disk you're using a bootable disk?

If you are using a proper bootable disk to install the OS, it should boot from the disk and then allow you to format etc. There is no reason your computer should give the Disk Boot failure error if you have a bootable disk, and are in fact booting from it. In fact, it should NOT even get to checking for a HD.

As a work around, you can just install that HD into a working computer and format it that way.

m
l
April 30, 2010 10:56:03 PM

Hmm ok idiot stuff check.

All cables are properly connected?
New HD is SATA right?
Bios doesn't have IDE controller enabled since you have no IDE devices connected right?

List your full build for us as well, might inspire some new ideas.
m
l
April 30, 2010 11:08:01 PM

yes 500gb sata. the optical drive is old so its ide.
Core i5 750
Gigabyte p55 USB3
ATi Radeon 5870
500GB WD
4GB of G.SKILL DDR3
m
l
April 30, 2010 11:34:30 PM

Ok, so is IDE controller enabled in your BIOS then?

Won't recognize your optical if it's disabled, will skip it and then try to boot of HD as normal giving you above error message.
m
l
April 30, 2010 11:39:56 PM

banthracis said:
Ok, so is IDE controller enabled in your BIOS then?

Won't recognize your optical if it's disabled, will skip it and then try to boot of HD as normal giving you above error message.

Yes it says IDE is enabled.
m
l
May 1, 2010 1:41:47 AM

Ok under advanced Bios features load fail safe settings save and restart.

Go back into bios Advanced Bios features.
Make sure quick boot is disabled
Make sure first boot device is CDROM

Make sure your HD is not attached to a GSATA port. These are a different color than the standard SATA ports. Check mobo manual to see which are which.

Also, what exactly happens when you try to boot from cdrom?
Does it pause a while and then give the not disk drive error? Or does it actually go into the who loading drivers from cd screen?

m
l
May 1, 2010 2:59:15 AM

banthracis said:
Ok under advanced Bios features load fail safe settings save and restart.

Go back into bios Advanced Bios features.
Make sure quick boot is disabled
Make sure first boot device is CDROM

Make sure your HD is not attached to a GSATA port. These are a different color than the standard SATA ports. Check mobo manual to see which are which.

Also, what exactly happens when you try to boot from cdrom?
Does it pause a while and then give the not disk drive error? Or does it actually go into the who loading drivers from cd screen?

Quick Boot is disabled
First Boot Device is CDROM
HD not connected to GSATA ports
It posts then goes
Loading Operating System... <few secs pass>
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.
m
l
May 1, 2010 3:04:32 AM

OK so it looks like it's not actually recognizing the optical drive. Could just be your current old Optical is just dead.

It there another optical you have lying around you can swap in? Preferably a SATA one.
m
l
May 1, 2010 2:22:53 PM

banthracis said:
OK so it looks like it's not actually recognizing the optical drive. Could just be your current old Optical is just dead.

It there another optical you have lying around you can swap in? Preferably a SATA one.

Bringing over to the geek shits. It's odd though that it starts to read the cd, like you can hear the drive spin the cd. I'm betting myself there going to tell me you need a new opt drive.
m
l
!