Need help choosing cpu

gamer1291

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
Hey guys i am having trouble choosing the right cpu i wanted to go with phenom ii x4 965 but then core i5 750 is better at same price but i know lga 1156 is dead so no point in upgrading to i5.That leaves me only two choices for future upgrades either i buy AM3 cpu or lga 1366 core i7(expensive).And all i do is gaming so please tell me which cpu should i buy?.I wont be upgrading my pc for another next 4 or 5 years so i want the latest tech its now or never.

gamer1291

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008

hm..dont you think 965 has more overclocking potential than 955? do you think x6 cores is better choice but i dont think so

Well the 955 and 965 are the same chip bump the mutiplier x 1 on the 955 and you have the same speed as a 965.
You might get a slighty higher oc on a 965 and cooler temps.
If the price difference is less then $20 go for the 965.
I think the quads are fine at the moment it really depends on what applications you run if you need a six.

gamer1291

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008

Thanx good to know i didnt want to spend money on i7 from the start and i already have a strong gpu but only thing is its not direct x 11 and i dont care about that much i have strong one that is saphhire radeon 4890

gamer1291

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
um.. guys i am really in a hurry i am about to buy now so please tell me which one to buy i and somehow i am able to afford core i7 930 should i take that or should i still go with phenom ii x4 965 please give me a quick reply on what to choose i want to game at max settings thats all and wont be upgrading for a few years

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Consider that you are mostly going to game, the i5 750 is your best choice.It has some advantages in games over the Phenom IIs. It has lower prwer consumption compared to LGA 1366 core i7s and the Phenom IIs(if thats of any importance to you). You can overclock the i5 when you may require it in the future and the core i5 750 performs excellently when overclocked.And btw no socket is dead unless the fastest CPU designed for it is able to perform close to the fastest CPUs overall.The i5 750 should last at least 3 years and you should be running all your games smoothly at max settings for quite some time.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Why I'm saying three years is that the Successor to sandy bridge is expected sometime in 2013.Its going to be designed for the 22 nm manufacturing process and is possibly completely redesigned microarchitecture, like NetBurst was after P6.It is said to have a completely redesigned cache and new power saving mechanisms.The Sandy Bridge based processors expected late this year, are more likely to be an evolution from the current core i7s and i5s, focusing on improved efficiency and increase in speed of the integrated graphics.So the i5 750 will still be able to keep up with these new CPUs for some time, especially when overclocked.

loneninja

Distinguished
Going AM3 with Phenom II instead of 1156 and I5-750 because 1156 is a dead end is a terrible argument when you don't plan to upgrade again for 4 years. The I5 today is more powerful, and in 4 years you won't be finding new processors for either platform.