Cooler for 9600 gt low profile

martinflores0

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I have a Galaxy 9600gt 256 bit 512 mb ddr3 and i need a new cooler for it.About a month ago it started making a weird humming noise and i want to fix that buy getting a new cooler. the problem is, I'm not sure witch to get i cant find one that might fit it I really need help finding one thanks!

It depends but if the fan sounds very very bad while still in warranty then rma but if just noisy well there isn't much you can do about it. The best bet for this card would be to liquid cool it if you are into overclocking or just want cooler temps while getting rid of the noise however the slime case holds you back doubtful that you even have a 5 1/4 bay.

martinflores0

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

yea id don't really have that much money...

Well there is still a few things you can do which one is taking off the side panel for better air flow. Clean any dust that may be lingering around in there while you at it. As for the card its self if brand new it shouldn't have much in there but you could purchase some arctic silver5 and replace the old compound which is mostly crap by any measure after a few months use.

Jo Stafford - "The Best Things in Life are Free" (1947)

BadAsAl

Distinguished
My Galaxy Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT low power low profile card recently developed a very annoying whirring sound. I downloaded the Xtreme Tuner from Galaxy, which allows you to monitor temperature and manually change fan speed, and ran the fan at different speeds. Anything above 20% made the noise and at 100% it was really loud. I dismantled the card, cleaned the fan, oiled it, all to no avail.

I looked for fans online but I couldn't find one that matched and I didn't want to buy a VGA cooler. So, I dug around in my old parts bin and found a fan from an Xbox that had a similar 3 pin plug (looks like a standard CPU fan). Well, I hooked it up and voila, It worked! I ran the software and the temp was good (+- 50 C idle, +-75 C after gaming) and I was still able to control fan speed. I simply velcro'd it on to the video card, and after clipping one of the tabs off the assembly it fit in my low profile Dell C521.

It is just as quiet again and didn't cost me anything! Hoping this will help anyone with a loud VGA fan.

By the way, when I reassembled the card, I used Dynex Silver Thermal Compound and the idle temp dropped about 10 degrees C.

L10nH3ArT

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011

Hello I'm just wondering if what you put together ended up working for you still. I do have a for parts Xbox laying around yet I just learned today that removing the cooling fan and sink would destroy the thermal compound (forehead slap abound, considering I didn't know this and then tried to run the card. Thankfully I stopped using it quickly after noticing hot hot temps (100 C+).) Well the other side of keeping it cool is the fan that may or may be junk regarding on how well the card can stay cool after the additional TLC. I'm just wondering if the fan fit inside the cover, or how the assembly ended up working for you. I suppose the confusion really comes down to the Velcro part, as I'm assuming you just used it to affix it to where the old fan sat. Any comments you can throw out there would be appreciated, Thanks!

Oh yeah, Great card for what it's worth (double standard wording considering it was a bit pricey)... something that can play most new titles respectively well, especially considering the size of the computer itself (DX10 and down but I don't lose any sleep). Little problems such as this are new to me as I just got into PC gaming about 3 months ago. And as much of a hassle as it can be, I enjoy the hands on when it comes to learning how to understand, maintain, and use such technology rather than just buying something that can be taken for face value such as console gaming or Ipods.

TRENDING THREADS