Serious Home Computer Buying Guide

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
April 30, 2010 4:23:10 PM

Hello,
I'm interested to hear what y'all have to say. I'm going to need to upgrade soon. I recently bought my wife a Canon 7D and my daughter a Flip HD. My gamer box is 7 years old now and just not up to snuff anymore as far as raw image and HD video editing goes. *sniff*

I'll just list my priorities:
* (obvious) can handle HD Video editing, raw image editing, and some gaming on the side.
* Stay away from diminishing returns
* Will also serve as home network storage/server

I'm getting dizzy looking at my options, I haven't even gotten past the fist decision, my processor. I need help on processor, MB, and maybe GPU/video card & memory...
I've always been an AMD fanboy but the benchmark numbers havent been looking good for them lately and this is a machine that will be put through its paces so I'm mostly concerned about buying the right processor

More about : home computer buying guide

April 30, 2010 4:43:00 PM

Fill out form in sticky. Link in my sig.

We need more info to help. Like budget for example.
m
l
Anonymous
April 30, 2010 4:58:34 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Whenever is the best time, i don't mind waiting a month for something on the horizon.

BUDGET RANGE: 800 - 2k

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
Editing RAW images
HD video editing
Gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:
Not really interested in mouse/keyboard/hdd but i'll take suggestions, more interested in the core computing power that will be the best bang for the buck.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:
no pref; newegg is nice though
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES:
Like I said; I'm fan of AMD but the numbers just might not be there for photo editing.
MB: I'm wanting to put down a little extra money in this cat for the performance and bells and wistles...must have HDMI input and pref. USB 3

OVERCLOCKING: Not too interested, maybe if we can figure out a cooling solution that works...
SLI OR CROSSFIRE:
I bought SLI MB with last purchase and never bought two vid cards...I think in the end I'm just going to go with one fat video card instead of two meh ones, i think it's a better idea no?

MONITOR RESOLUTION: not important, should be super high

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
My plan is to build my next 10 yr computer. I might want to start out with a slow speed new family processor then five years down the road get the fastest processor in that family after it's gotten old to give the system an upgrade...
there will probably also be a video card upgrade, memory upgrades and hdd upgrades in the next ten years, so really the most important thing i'm interested in is what case/mb/chipset I'm going to commit to...
m
l
July 27, 2012 9:04:51 PM

Two years later since you first posted this, I am in more or less the same situation. I am curious what you had settled on finally. Would you please share your final configurations - specially the motherboard/processor options?

Thanks!
m
l
!