New Battery Not Working

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
September 26, 2004 3:22:47 AM

I just bought a new 3rd party replacement battery for my Dell Inspiron
3700. Put battery in, and charged it for 24 hours like the
instructions suggested. It now has a full charge, according to both
the LED's on the battery and a voltmeter reading (16.7 v). Only
problem is that in the Power Manager control panel, it shows battery is
"not present."

Additionally, the laptop won't even boot when the battery is installed.
This is strange. Laptop will boot with NO battery, and with the old
dead battery, but NOT with the new battery. Hmmm...

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Ken
(To reply via email, please remove "ECM" - thanks)

More about : battery working

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 26, 2004 11:49:11 AM

In article <2004092523224716807%kspenceECM@i2000com>,
Ken Spencer <kspenceECM@i-2000.com> wrote:
>I just bought a new 3rd party replacement battery for my Dell Inspiron
>3700. Put battery in, and charged it for 24 hours like the
>instructions suggested. It now has a full charge, according to both
>the LED's on the battery and a voltmeter reading (16.7 v). Only
>problem is that in the Power Manager control panel, it shows battery is
>"not present."
>
>Additionally, the laptop won't even boot when the battery is installed.
> This is strange. Laptop will boot with NO battery, and with the old
>dead battery, but NOT with the new battery. Hmmm...
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Ken
>(To reply via email, please remove "ECM" - thanks)

Check the Dell web site (or whoever you bought the battery from).

I know that Toshiba and Compaq laptops have some sort of a proceedure
to get the battery and the computer in sync. There is a
microcontroller in the battery that reports condition to the computer,
and there may be an initialization proceedure for yours.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

> Check the Dell web site (or whoever you bought the battery from).
> I know that Toshiba and Compaq laptops have some sort of a proceedure
> to get the battery and the computer in sync. There is a
> microcontroller in the battery that reports condition to the computer,
> and there may be an initialization proceedure for yours.

Thanks for this information... The thing that puzzled me was that I
have had spare batteries for a couple of Thinkpads, and an Apple
PowerBook, and all I did was drop them in and away they went. So I
appreciate your suggestion. I am headed to Dell... :-)

--
(To reply via email, please remove "ECM" - thanks)
a b D Laptop
September 27, 2004 5:46:24 PM

Ken Spencer <kspenceECM@i-2000.com> wrote:
>I just bought a new 3rd party replacement battery for my Dell Inspiron

>"not present."

>Additionally, the laptop won't even boot when the battery is installed.

With all the problems the cellphone companies have had with
aftermarket batteries, Dell may have some serious restrictions (in the
BIOS?) about working with non-Dell batteries, and your 3rd-party
replacement may not be properly emulating a real Dell battery.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 1:11:30 AM

> Check the Dell web site (or whoever you bought the battery from).
> I know that Toshiba and Compaq laptops have some sort of a proceedure
> to get the battery and the computer in sync. There is a
> microcontroller in the battery that reports condition to the computer,
> and there may be an initialization proceedure for yours.

I went to the Dell website, and read all the stuff on the Inspiron 3700
and there is nothing
mentioned about any procedures.

I have sent the battery back to the dealer, and they said they would
check it out.

Stay tuned... :-)

--
(To reply via email, please remove "ECM" - thanks)
!